Author Topic: Cave Story WiiWare  (Read 25490 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Cave Story WiiWare
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:18:54 AM »
I didn't see a mention of this on NWR, though maybe it's buried in one of the many threads we got recently.

Cave Story announced for WiiWare. Yes, CS is a freeware game and you'll probably have to pay for it on WiiWare but it's interesting news anyway. Maybe we'll get more japanese indie games on the WiiWare that way? Touhou on Wii?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Cave Story WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:39:58 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Cave Story only received fan translations to English?  I wonder if this release could mean a better (or worse) translation....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
I'm excited for it. Maybe we will see some news about it today because I think it was mentioned that it's WiiWare day for the Nintendo Media Summit.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
Video

PLATFORMS: Wii™ via WiiWare™
RELEASE DATE: Early 2009
PUBLISHER: N/A
DEVELOPER: Nicalis
ESRB RATING: Expected - Everyone
GENRE: Action-Adventure

GAME OVERVIEW:
Arguably the most well-known indie game of all time, Cave Story features an completely original storyline perfect for the Wii audience.

Cave Story is an action-adventure game from the critically acclaimed
independent designer, Daisuke Amaya–or Pixel to his fans.

Overflowing with unmatched charm and character, Cave Story takes players into a world where a race of rabbit-like creatures, called Mimigas, run free on a serene floating island.

The once-carefree world is in danger of disaster at the hands of a maniacal doctor. The Mimigas’ only hope is in the hands of a quiet, amnesiac soldier named Quote. Players take control of Quote and learn the origins of the floating island’s power.

GAME FEATURES:
o Offers standard definition and Wii-exclusive progressive (480p)
graphics
o 4:3 and 16:9 resolution support
o New character designs by creator/designer, Daisuke Amaya
o 10 unique weapons to find and upgrade
o Over 20 boss battles through Mimiga Island
o 15 levels to explore in the vast world
o Classic Controller support
o Three unique endings

Visit the official website for Cave Story soon at http://www.cavestory.com/

I found this at http://Http://NintendoEverything.com
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:06:47 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »
lol at Wii-exclusive progressive scan graphics since the original runs on PCs which don't use interlacing at all.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:55:08 PM »
Offical site and Blog
Another game site with nice music.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 01:12:06 AM »
I said wow.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »

This is a comparison shot of the original(left) and the right(wiiware)

source
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:21:50 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
lol at Wii-exclusive progressive scan graphics since the original runs on PCs which don't use interlacing at all.

I believe the exclusive part refers to the original version running at a lower resolution than 640x480.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
That gives me hope for Quantum Solace
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »
ahahahahaha
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »

This is a comparison shot of the original(left) and the right(wiiware)
That right there would make it worth the purchase assuming a reasonable cost.  What's your source on this Maxi?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:20:25 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »

Comparison of the original Grave Keeper and wiiware Grave Keeper

Source
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 02:47:56 AM »
http://www.wiiware-world.com/news/2008/11/nicalis_interview_cave_story

A few excerpts of the interview

WW: Will the WiiWare version be a port or brand new code? What WiiWare specific differences will there be?

TR: A bit of both? We’re using the original code, but there is a significant amount of work to get some of the new elements to work such as the graphics and audio switch. There are other elements as well that we haven’t yet announced that require new code to run on the original engine.

For instance, Pixel never intended for the game to run in two different resolutions. As such, we need two different fonts and two totally different sets of artwork. The game also originally had one save file, the WiiWare version has three--we put that in specifically to make players seeking multiple endings happy. Plus, we also had to accommodate the new audio format so there’s more code there. But we really can’t take the credit, we’re building on top of his code and making it work on the Wii. It’s been smooth so far.

WW: There has been much debate over visual and audio enhancements which have been added in the WiiWare version. Why did you feel this was necessary and can they be disabled in the settings menu?

TR: Do I feel it was necessary? I think we both felt it was necessary--at least to give the game appeal in the eyes of fresh new players. The original artwork is really close to perfect. Amaya-san did a wonderful job on it, but if you take into consideration that he first drew the main character almost 10 years ago and finished the second (unreleased) version of Cave Story almost three years before the “real” Cave Story you start to realize the artwork and music are much older than we usually give them credit for. Everyone who knows Cave Story and is a fan LOVES the artwork, but we can’t assume that new players will understand the appeal. The good news for purists is that they can choose to play with the original artwork and music.

WW: When do you expect to release Cave Story in North America? Are you already working on securing a subsequent release in Europe and Australia or are you waiting to see if the US launch is a success first?

TR: We’re still aiming for a holiday release and working as much as we can to make that a reality. And, yes, we do want to see the game in other regions regardless of the numbers. There are a few things we have to do for certifications in other regions so they’ll come after the North American release.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »
I will get this game...hopefully, they add more to the game and expand it with new levels and bosses.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:53 AM »
http://Http://nicalis.com/blog/2009/03/08/cave-story-update-crunch-time/
Well they are wrapping up the game.They are planning DLC.Since it has been a while since their last update you might want to peruse the Blog for any thing you might have missed.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
So this came out today in the US today. Anybody plan on getting it?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »
So this came out today in the US today. Anybody plan on getting it?

Yes, but the "import fee" for Rondo of Blood left me 100 points short!  Either have to buy more Wii Points or wait for a bit... not sure which it will be just yet.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:25 PM »
I will be buying it and playing it as soon as the kiddo goes to bed this evening...oh, and after watching Chuck.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 02:16:14 PM »
I can't believe this thread is 17 months old.  Why in God's name did it take so long for this game to come out?!

I'll buy it today, but I probably won't be able to start playing until later this week--gotta finish Rondo of Blood first!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
From what I have heard it had to be submitted to Nintendo a few times. Also I think once it was approved it was stuck in a que of titles for release on Wiiware. Anyway I think it is worth the wait.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »
Wow, $12? I dunno. I mean, it's the Newscast Game Club game, but...dayam. I'm trying to save money over here.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
So the Wii is getting the graphic whore edition? Quite a turn of the tables...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
I couldn't resist--I played the game for about 45 minutes last night.  Lots of fun!

Some thoughts:

It controls great--your character has a bit of a floaty jump, but it feels right.  I'm playing with the remote held sideways and it handles like a dream.

The graphics are very easy on the eyes.  I haven't tried the original ones yet, but the new ones are great.  I really appreciate the 16 x 9 support--take that Blaster Master Overdrive!

I really like the experience/level up system.  It's actually pretty similar to Blaster Master's--you power up your weapons, not your health.  When you defeat enemies you sometimes collect yellow triangles that increase your weapon's level--your weapons start at level 0 and can be powered up to level 3.  Also like Blaster Master, when you get hit your weapons lose a level.  However, unlike Blaster Master it's not a total pain in the ass--for one, the controls are much better so if you get hit it's your own damn fault.  Also, it doesn't knock your weapon down an entire level--just part of one--so unless you get hit a lot you don't need to worry about it most of the time.

Extremely positive first impressions.  I look forward to more of what this game has to offer.  Well worth the $12.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!