Author Topic: Official Avatar Discussion  (Read 621072 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Official Avatar Discussion
« on: July 22, 2003, 11:13:03 AM »
Everyone has an Avatar now it seems. We all had avatars on the old forums...but we didn't have them for quite a while. Anyways. Each one of us who have avatars have them for a reason. The reason they mean somethign to us. What does your avatars mean? Mine is a character i created just to be an avatar. I could however spin him off into a flash cartoon series. He was created in flash because i wanted a very clean look to it. I don't have any vector programs other then that. I used to use illistrator when i took a class for it. But anyways yeah. I gave him a fro cus i call myself theperm and i associate fros with disco suits and stuff. He also has sort of a pulp fiction vibe.<BR>So what does your avatar mean and where does it ocme from?   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:20:40 AM by Wino »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 11:58:05 AM »
My avatar is a deformed midget cartoon version of Japanese wrestler Masahiro Chono.  I'm a pretty big wrestling fan and although Chono isn't my favourite wrestler, he just has such a cool look so I figured he would make a better avatar than most other wrestlers.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: Avatar Discussion
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 12:36:53 PM »
My current avatar is probably the best creature to come out of Square Soft other than Moogles, The Tonberry (or Pug)  I love Tonberry's and they were my favorite Guardian Force in Final Fantasy 8.  Nothing beats a creature that slowly waddles up to you and uses an attack that seems so weak only to have it kill you in one hit.  Kitchen Knife for 9,999 damage, or more if you level up and boost.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 12:40:56 PM »
I base my avatars off things that I like, or current interests.  My old avatar was of GIR riding a pig from the show Invader Zim, which I love.  I don't believe it's on the air anymore, though  Currently, I have Chihiro from the movie Spirited Away, which is one of my favorite movies becasue of the wonderful animation.  I want to watch other movies by Hayao Miyazaki such as Princess Mononoke and any others that might be good.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 01:52:56 PM »
I've wanted to see Spirited Away for a while, but that little girls voice is so friggin' annoying. I can't even watch the commercials it hurts my ears so much.

Anyway, I made my avatar in Paint to go with my name, which I've been using for almost 3 years now. A few of my friends didn't even know I made it- they thought I got it from some cartoon mouse website. I didn't intend on it, but the way I made the eyes it looks kind of crazy, or scared. Thanks to Gamefreak for formatting and hosting it for me.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 01:56:48 PM »
The little girls voice is very annoying, but only at first.  After a while you're used to it, and she does't sound so much like Navi.

"Hey!  You guys!  Come on!  Look!  listen!"

It's defidently worth seeing.  The animation is so smooth and clean, it's just a joy to watch.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 03:26:28 PM »
I love Spirited Away!
Chihiro is annoying at the beginning, cause that's the way she is. She is lazy and whinny, and as the movie goes, she gets more confident and becomes more self-reliant and courageous. I like her voice. Am I in love? Yes! I love innocent love! Like Chihiro and Haku's relationship.

Anyway.....most of my avatars have been Natalie Portman. No need for explanations there. Even Oohhboy uses one of my pics for his avatar! One was of the cover for 'Fallen' by Evanescence, cause that is one of my fave albums, and my current one is the one and only, legendary Grug! Grug came to be when a tree fell over. The brown bush on top of it popped off, grew arms and legs, and became Grug! Not the best of transformations, but I would sit for hours in the library reading his 10 page adventure books when I was a kid!
The coolest, clumsy brown shrub who was as curious and endearing that any child could love him and hug him forever!
Ahhh Grug! What will you get up to next!

I think my next one will be an anime one. Possibly Chihiro, Cis from The Animatrix (Program), or...hmmmm.....well, we'll find out won't we
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 06:18:15 PM »
My avatar changes all the time but i think im going to set a record with this one! Pikmin 2 is one of my most anticipated games, when i get a new most anticipated game, ill change it.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 08:20:56 PM »
Mouse Clicker, you might want to watch the Japanese version of Spirited Away instead.  They include the Japanese voice track on the Spirited Away DVD, so it's not like a big deal to watch it or anything.    Personally, I like both the dubbed and the subbed versions.  They are both excellent.

My new avatar of course is Rurouni Kenshin.  Not really much that needs explaining there I don't think.    An awesome character from an awesome anime.  My next avatar will likely be either Elly Van Houten, or Aya Brea done in a similar style.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 08:29:16 PM »
If I ever do see it, I'll probably watch it subbed, although it's nice that the dubbed version is good as well. Sometimes when the dubbing doesn't work it just ruins the whole movie (like basically ANY live-action movie out of Japan).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 08:29:36 PM »
I love end bosses and I love crappy movies based on video games. Although maybe I'll switch back to the Boldo saying something random so I can join ThePerm's disco team again

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 08:34:42 PM »
I AM MURRAY! DEMONIC UBERSKULL AND HARBRINGER OF YOUR DOOM!

I WILL.. err sorry, got carried away there ^_^ but yes, my avatar is MURRAY! DEM... its murray from the steller, mutli emmy and grammy award winning (well that bit is a lie), best series EVAH, series Monkey Island (tm) my favorite game series of all time (they better make another one )

also this Murray Avatar (tm) was masterfully crafted by arcane avatar craftsmen whos being and creations transend time and space, in other words Grey Ninja made it for me

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 10:25:15 AM »
I've been wondering this for a while.  How does one creat their own animated avatar (under the 20 KB limit of course)?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 11:00:49 AM »
Well, I use Ulead GIF Animator.  It's a shareware program with a 30 day trial though, so you have to do various tricks to extend the deadline.

Once you create your gif, you can reduce the number of colors to make it smaller.  My last avatar was 32 colors, had 7 frames of animation, and was just under 12k.

The new version of PIAC's avatar I created is 3.2k, 64x64 pixels, and 16 colors.  It looks slightly better than the one he is currently using, but I haven't gotten around to uploading it yet.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 12:29:43 PM »
Mine's from the anime Naruto. i'm too lazy to give a description of it, so visit www.narutoguide.com for info. It's one of my favorite longer series in a while, and it's one of the most popular anime right now.

The Perm - Pretty slick!! i always meant to ask where you got that avatar from. At first i thought it was from the anime Lupin. Flash is a great vector program, although if you're from the Illustrator school of thought, it'll take some time to get used to it's quirks. It's probably better for avatars since it handles animation and exports to animated GIF as well.

mouse clicker - Always loved that avatar. Simple, but great work from a paint program. Reminds me of one of my first drawings in BASIC.

Grey Ninja - What was your old avatar from?
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2003, 12:35:29 PM »
Thanks, aoi- I've actually only used MS Paint like twice.

And don't even get me started on my art in BASIC- bleck. I can't draw worth crap in that.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2003, 12:56:07 PM »
I was going to make my own avatar, but all i could come up with was "a big question mark"  which would be too...i don't know...stupid.  I like my avatar now, and I'm likely (is it "likely"?) to stay with it for a while, but who knows?

I was going to have this cool one of GIR dancing, but the file size was too big.

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2003, 02:08:27 PM »
Speaking of avatars ... can someone give me a site besides sigup where i can upload my avatar ?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2003, 02:27:17 PM »
You can email your avatar to me, and I'll upload it and i'll PM you the address where you can find it.

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2003, 04:25:29 PM »
Knowsnothing ... what do you mean by email my avatar .. do you want me to give you the URL ? ... or you want me to copy and paste it ? Oh yeah ... whats your email ? cant forget that

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2003, 05:18:38 PM »
Mine is of Washi, the monk from the recent anime series Haibane Renmei.  Series came out late last year, hits the USA next month.  Very very good aniem by yoshitoshi ABe, the person who did Neia Under 7 and Lain.

Buy it next month
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2003, 03:37:32 AM »
Mine is Gilder from Skies of Arcadia, because he's a badass.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2003, 01:57:19 PM »
Ahem, batjew, one of my heroes. So sad that PA took love and hate with kara and batjew down, and batjew left to make his own website (which isn't that great sometimes) so sad... but still, its batjew.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2003, 04:47:36 PM »
Mines .....

Down at the moment
It was Homer Simpson. My avatars change allll the time. They mostly consist of cute anime girls, though

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2003, 11:14:11 PM »
cute anime cat girls