Author Topic: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*  (Read 189515 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
I be interest to see that myself.  What do I see?  What does my mind find important enough to remember.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
Soon they'll be able to just plug you up to a machine and just play back all the events, including those sick thoughts you had that about that certain someone/thing, right there on the screen for you to watch all over again.
It only works if there's brain activity, so first they'd have to find a way to make you think about the events. (That is assuming that they can get a good enough signal in the first place -- active visual images are much easier than other signals).

That's how it works right now, but that's why I said "soon".

"Soon" we'll be living in minority report and I will get arrested just because I thought about robbing the bank down the street from my house even though I don't think I will ever be desperate or stupid enough to actually attempt it.

Right now they are reconstructing imagery based on what you are looking at right now. Soon, who knows how they will progress the technology.
Maybe one day they will have these things at the airport and random screening won't need to be so random anymore as they will see who has bad intentions as they pass through the check point.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »
hollywood blockbusters of the future!
As an artist, im always pissed that what i see in my head just can't be put on paper. I'm an artist, but i hate my work as most artists do. Even if this is still limited technology, it would be good for a pitch. And also id love to be able to record my dreams and edit them into movies. Inception......sort of
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:39:18 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:05 PM »
I don't know if this counts, but Amazon announced the Kindle Fire today...at $199 it's kind of hard to find a reason not to buy one. Dual core 1Ghz OMAP, 7" Gorilla Glass, 8GB on-board storage with free "cloud storage." WiFi only, but for $199 it's a pretty impressive device. Also of note, it only has a power button, and no microphone, so you can't make video calls (no camera either) and volume is controlled through the status bar/settings.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #329 on: September 28, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »
it's kind of hard to find a reason not to buy one.
Reason: Already jumped on the HP firesale.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:55 PM »
If I didn't have a iPad, I would consider buying one. Hard to justify getting it though, especially when it some ways it is inferior to what I have (I have the 16GB iPad, 3G but don't use it, and I like the size of the iPad screen). I don't have the iPad 2 though, so no camera either.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #331 on: September 28, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
The Kindle Fire is more of a suped-up e-reader than a tablet. It's a pretty cool device though, especially at that price.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 28, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
Hardly an e-reader, as it is not e-ink. Just like the Nook Color makes for a poor reader, whereas the Nook Classic and Nook Touch are both excellent. The Kindle Fire is just another tablet.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 28, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
It's much more of a bare bones tablet than it is a souped up e-reader. The processor is pretty badass though, I'm pretty shocked they went with such a beast, and also pissed that cell phones cost so much without a contract.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
lol E readers

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:14 AM »
If I were to get a tablet, the Kindle Fire is the one I'd consider. It's set at a decent price. Always a good thing. It does away with a lot of the extras I'd never use anyway (i.e. camera, microphone). I'd use it as an e-reader first and foremost. Occasionally, I could see myself using it for the browser and some apps.

I'm assuming that, despite Amazon downplaying Android, that it has access to the Android marketplace. Being tied so closely to Amazon's store/media smorgasbord is sure to offer numerous benefits as well. Since I would mainly be use it as an e-reader, the Kindle Touch may be a better choice but for an extra $100, I think what the Kindle Fire offers is worth it.

It's about time a company decided not to try to out-iPad the iPad. I think it's going to succeed where other Android tablets haven't for that reason alone.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:05:34 AM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 29, 2011, 07:52:35 AM »
Right out of the box it doesn't have access to the full Android Market, it has the Amazon App Store, which is basically slowly turning into a complete clone of the Market. You can also sideload apps onto it via USB (so you can get just about anything you want onto it), possibly even gApps which will put the Android Market on it. Expect this thing to be rooted and running custom ROMs before it's even released.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 29, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
I'm just glad someone has finally made a mass market tablet. Hooray for technology!
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59:56 AM »
And the Kindle Fire is not available outside the US. Failchops.

will have to grab one when i'm in NYC next.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 29, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »
*shrug*
They just recreated Barnes and Nobles Nook lineup without the Awesome Nook Classic I guess is what its called now.  Love my Nook.  Fast nav with the LCD and easy reading on the e-Ink.  Seriously if your just getting a Fire to be a value-added eReader.  Do your eyes a favor and just get an e-ink version.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
E-ink is closer to reading an actual book but I don't mind reading off of an LCD screen.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:26:00 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
Please explain. If someone wanted the extra value/additional features that the Fire provides, why would he/she get the e-ink version? I don't get it.
If you are getting it primarily to be an e-Reader but, like just having the extra features knowing you'll probably never use, then just get the e-ink version.  LCD screens contribute to Eye Fatigue while e-Ink doesn't.  I know a lot of us spends are day staring at a monitor to do whatever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
I re-read your original post and edited my post accordingly but you quoted me before I finished editing. My bad. I didn't get what you meant at first. I still think an extra $100 is a good deal for the additional functions the Fire provides. I'd definitely use the browser and media functions. Amazon cut a lot of the things in tablets I wouldn't use like the camera and the mic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:01:14 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
That color eInk is just taking too long it seems.

I've heard about it coming soon, but has an affordable Color eInk tablet come to market yet?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »
I can't believe they have a true margin on the Fire.  It seems very close to cost.

On Color eInk, I think its running into the problems that the flat screen tech that was pretty much a CRT per pixel did.  The other technology kept going till the difference wasn't really that great but the cost never really got close.

One day Color eInk will cross the threshold.  It be great to have some that can change fast enough to be a monitor that only wrote the parts that it needed.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 29, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
the flat screen tech that was pretty much a CRT per pixel

Wow, I had completely forgotten about that.  Surface-conduction electron-emitter display, which was called SED instead of SCEED for some reason.  I remember that I was really looking forward to that once upon a time.

I don't think eInk is ever going to be fast enough to use for a regular monitor.  Maybe it would be used for special cases where fast updates aren't necessary, like status screens on some devices, but old fashioned LCDs are probably going to remain cheaper for that.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
*shrug*
They just recreated Barnes and Nobles Nook lineup without the Awesome Nook Classic I guess is what its called now.  Love my Nook.  Fast nav with the LCD and easy reading on the e-Ink.  Seriously if your just getting a Fire to be a value-added eReader.  Do your eyes a favor and just get an e-ink version.

I'm with you 100%. I use my Nook Classic just about every day. It was better than the Kindle when I got it, and still is, even despite the Pearl screen. It's sad that they've phased it out, but the Nook "Simple Touch" looks to be a worthy successor. It doesn't have the bottom LCD, instead opting to make the entire e-ink display touch sensitive. It makes me think of some of the more recent Sony e-readers in that regard.

I have no use for a tablet, at all. I almost immediately rooted my Nook Classic, but don't really use any of the additional apps. Instead it made it much more pleasant to use side-loaded content. However, I do have five bookcases crammed full of dead tree books. It's nice to be able to consolidate that somewhat. I still buy books, I'll probably never stop doing that. I don't trust their electronic equivalents enough, nor agree with the pricing on most. Still, it's a helluva lot more convenient to lounge around at home (or travel!) with my Nook than it is with a big hardback.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 05, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
Here is an article where Siri comes from.

The Darpa roots are interesting and if it was as smart as the instructional Video would indicate that would be cool.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-india-computer-tablet-20111006,0,1592428.story
India unveils world's cheapest tablet computer
The 13-ounce touch-screen device can handle basic computing, including email, social networking, Web surfing, online banking, instant messaging and multimedia. The stripped-down system uses Google's Android 2.2 operating system and comes with headphones, WiFi access, two USB slots, 256 megabytes of internal memory and a 7-inch screen. It's not considered on the same level as the more advanced tablets available.

"I'm not against computers, but it needs to be thought through," said Aruna Sankaranarayanan, director of Prayatna, a civic group focused on education. "Most rural schools aren't even equipped with toilets or teachers. Just giving computers [doesn't] guarantee computer literacy. There are more crying needs."

"I'll probably use it mostly for Facebook," Ravi Banshiwal, 22, a commerce student from Delhi, said with a laugh. "So we need to thank the minister for that. We'll send him a tweet first thing."

Facepalm
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 15, 2011, 01:16:26 AM »
Dude, these people made a ball that's made out of cameras. it's like... google earth in a ball that you throw. you can throw google earth

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futuresport/201110/throwable-ball-camera-may-revolutionize-how-we-watch-sports
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.