Author Topic: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*  (Read 189394 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
Unlimted Detail re-emerges with a new video (it's entertaining and humorous)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4

I would love to see this tech get into the hands of some actual game designers so we can see what can really be done with it. I also hope it works flawlessly on upcoming hardware (cough*WiiU*cough) so that I will actually be able to play games that use it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2011, 06:19:49 PM »
That's always fascinating. Building objects with tiny objects is always fascinating, however, I do not expect this to come out any time soon nor will we see this technology in the next several years. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but this company seems very undependable. You can't stick your neck out then become a recluse for a year. You also can't do the same thing again.

So I hope what they say is true because I believe them when they say polygonal technology is dying, but I can't help but think they are bullshitting, especially since within the last year, we haven't heard of any other companies make the same sort of advancement.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
I trades one technical limitation for another. Instead of recomputing the geometry each and every time, it goes into RAM and treats the whole world like a big giant look up table. Note there is currently no physics, no animation(have to attach those voxels to a frame work or skeleton), no real time lighting, the same "set" of objects, no ability to alter the environment, it's completely non-interactive.

They have traded processing power, something that so far effectively still doubles every 18/24 months for a godly amount of RAM needed to store all those objects, not to mention the loading times even with an SSD. No Next Gen console will use this whole, just from the lack of RAM. It might find limited use as far as hybrid systems where you might want one object with very high detail, say a non-destructible building, but it's resource footprint would be huge compared to it's traditional counterpart especially on things like consoles. Note they don't tell you what that demo is running on.

So yeah, you might see some limited applications next gen, but I wouldn't even put money on that.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
they just have to combine minecraft with that and then you'll have a working game. Minecraft works on similar principles except its for the most part flat blocks. There are algorithms that generate terrain, but if you were to replace the blocks with pre-made better voxel blocks then it would look amazing.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
GE promotes '500GB' Blue Laser Disc. InPhase calls it a "science project"
then says they will be on market next year with more GB and much faster write times
http://www.macworld.com/article/161386/2011/08/ge_holographic.html

Article summary;
GE: We have a blue laser disc that holds 20X the space of a bluray with the same recording speed
IP: We have 25X the space of Bluray and 4X the recording speed. And unlike GE, we also have a backlog of clients and are confident that we will deliver product to market next year
[article notes how InPhase has repeatedly failed to bring anything to market after multiple years of saying they would]
IP: we have new management.... we've got it together this time, we promise ;)
GE: and did we mention that our tech is backwards compatible with Bluray, DVD & CD?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:29:42 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »
Not to mention that it takes over a day to burn a bloody disc.

Then there is a section devoted to "Tapes! We have Tapes!". I know this stuff is for the archive market, but it comes off as some kiddy pool pissing match.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
I think the internet and internet speeds 10 years from now will make all this archive technology pretty moot. Amazon's S3 is already doing it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
There's a lot of infrastructure that needs to be built up before that can happen, at least in the US.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
I think the internet and internet speeds 10 years from now will make all this archive technology pretty moot. Amazon's S3 is already doing it.
There's a lot of infrastructure that needs to be built up before that can happen, at least in the US.
Agreed.  We can't keep our roads maintained for Goodness sakes and People see those everyday. 
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2011, 02:11:46 AM »
they just have to combine minecraft with that and then you'll have a working game. Minecraft works on similar principles except its for the most part flat blocks. There are algorithms that generate terrain, but if you were to replace the blocks with pre-made better voxel blocks then it would look amazing.

http://notch.tumblr.com/

Notch has spoken

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
One step closer to the Bionic Man
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13378036

Guy demonstrates his bionic hand.

It's a little slow on reaction, but I bet it has a helluva grip.

I know this is an amazing technology that will help so many once it becomes affordable enough, but I can't help but thinking..

HOLY FUCKING **** THAT'S SO COOL I WANT ONE!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
Instead of putting down $180 on a 3DS I decided to do a bit of a PC upgrade instead.

Found a Nvidia 560 Ti for $177 after rebate, then a 64gb SSD for $50 after rebate. Also bought a new CPU cooler and am going to do a bit of an overclock on this PC.

I wanted to get back into gaming on my PC a bit more and since my good ole 4850 had started to give me fits it was the perfect time to do it.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
Unlimted Detail re-emerges with a new video (it's entertaining and humorous)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4

I would love to see this tech get into the hands of some actual game designers so we can see what can really be done with it. I also hope it works flawlessly on upcoming hardware (cough*WiiU*cough) so that I will actually be able to play games that use it.

2 new interviews
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/tech-focus-unlimited-detail-technology?page=1
Q: How compatible is your system with the vertices/skeletal animation/surface texture approach we see now?

Bruce Dell: I think we are criticised the most in the area of animation. Yes we can do animation, but it's not finished yet. Last time, we learnt that if we were to put anything on the internet that wasn't finished, there would be hordes of forum people who are more grumpy than that donkey from Winnie the Pooh who would point the finger and say, "look at that, that doesn't look as good as polygons" no matter how hard we tried to say, "but we're only half done". I'm sure our supporters understand the wisdom of us being silent on the topic of animation until it's completed. I think when it comes to animation you will all be pleasantly surprised at what we've achieved.

---------------------

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/10/euclideon_unlimited_detail_bruce_dell_interview
^Video interview. Running the Unlimited detail from a laptop.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »
i think Notch's big gripe was in the actual language of UD video, obviously theres lots of repetition, and no way each grain of dirt is different.  From someone who has worked with all numbers of tools, the biggest thing any developer has to overcome is making the tools easier to build things with.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
Soldiers of the Future: Bullet Proof Humans?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2026645/Bulletproof-human-skin-spider-silk-goat-milk-developed-scientists.html

-Researchers genetically engineered goats to produce milk packed with the same protein as silk spiders
-The protein is then milked out and spun and weaved into a material ten times stronger than steel

‘Imagine a spidersilk vest, capable of catching bullets, the modern day equivalent of Genghis Khan’s arrows,’ she said.
‘Now, let’s take this one step further, why bother with a vest: imagine replacing keratin, the protein responsible for the toughness of the human skin, with this spidersilk protein.
‘This is possible by adding the silk producing genes of a spider to the gnome of a human: creating a bulletproof human.

At first I thought they were genetically altering the human being, but then it seemed like thgey were just making a second skin.... No. They are attempting to create actual bulletproof humans.
Now we must combat this with laser guns and more hand grenades.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
Not necessarily. They could spray us with a modified version of our own skin cells. We'd have to reapply ourselves roughly every month though.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
its so weird anytime i hear Dutch, Finnish, or Swedish. I took German and between it and English theres some sort of continuum.

I wonder would it be possible to build buildings out of this stuff.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 17, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
I just want a bulletproof nutsack.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »
I just want a bulletproof nutsack.

Plan on shooting a lot of "web"?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
Soldiers of the Future: Bullet Proof Humans?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2026645/Bulletproof-human-skin-spider-silk-goat-milk-developed-scientists.html

-Researchers genetically engineered goats to produce milk packed with the same protein as silk spiders
-The protein is then milked out and spun and weaved into a material ten times stronger than steel

‘Imagine a spidersilk vest, capable of catching bullets, the modern day equivalent of Genghis Khan’s arrows,’ she said.
‘Now, let’s take this one step further, why bother with a vest: imagine replacing keratin, the protein responsible for the toughness of the human skin, with this spidersilk protein.
‘This is possible by adding the silk producing genes of a spider to the gnome of a human: creating a bulletproof human.

At first I thought they were genetically altering the human being, but then it seemed like thgey were just making a second skin.... No. They are attempting to create actual bulletproof humans.
Now we must combat this with laser guns and more hand grenades.
Different type of slicing Bullets.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »
My foot just got a boner.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 09, 2011, 01:08:36 AM »
One step at a time, Morari. We need the jacket, and then we can get that hoverboard.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 09, 2011, 05:00:26 AM »
"Heavy"

Also too cool to wear.