Author Topic: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*  (Read 189447 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
Smart AR from Sony:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/22/sonys-smartar-demoed-live-raises-the-bar-for-augmented-reality/

Video at the link. No markers needed, tracks real objects, and 'interacts' with them. It's pretty cool, and I'd suggest starting the video around 1:40.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
Sony has a lot of cool tech.  Makes you wonder sometimes.  Though you know its AR because it has those jitters.  This is cool.  I can't wait to have augmented glasses.  I probably pay 1k for a seemless AR integration in my glasses.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »
I don't see anything "Holy Crap" about Sony's SmartAR as I believe I've seen it done before and I still don't see any real use for it other than maps, menus and general information search which Google Goggles already does.

But I did watch this with the sound off last nite, so I might have missed something. But I'm also sure that Sony is gonna try and incorporate this into the NGP and I still don't see any useful applications in gaming beyond glorified tech demos & minigames that hold your attention for all of 45seconds.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
AR without markers would be huge. That means it could be integrated into a seamless experience. Simply from an advertisement stand point, this is huge, as they wouldn't have to pump out new ads for it work.

From a consumer stand point, this would be even better. We'd finally be able to leave our phones in our pockets (where phones are destined to be), accessing it through menus we envision on our arm or hand. We could watch video anywhere. And if coupled with technology like WiFi-Direct, we could all enjoy watching the same video. Even better though, imagine it being able to access someone else's camera and see what they see. That's not AR, but easily the best side-effect of it.

Actually the best side-effect of AR would be recording my drunken escapades. If the glasses are as pimp as the one DARPA is making then I'd rock them all night. And what's even better, it could tag people and places that I met and been to automatically, so when I look back through the video I could look at outline and skip forward to an exact moment.

So yeah, simply having the glasses is much better than using your phone.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
The day it comes to a heads up display in a pair of fashionable glasses is the day I get excited over it.

If it then has the ability to record and playback everything it saw.... then I would be so jealous of the group of late teens and young 20 somethings at the time that would be released. Where was that tech when I was party/club/bar hopping?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:34 AM »
Having it incorporated into glasses is the logical conclusion though, that's where AR is heading, and that is really the point of all this, to have it mobile. This could also be licensed to work with phone cameras, and as you mention BnM, the NGP. As Unagi said, markerless AR means AR on anything. At any time your ready you could play that bouncing ball game with any two or three random object, you could pull up a map anywhere, 'project' a video on to any wall, etc.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
I didn't get my eyes lasered just so I can wear glasses again. If it offers military style HUD on civilian aircraft, now that would be cool.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »
It's pretty lame, but I did see a pool cleaning robot when picking up some supplies for my pool table (the OTHER pool (billiards in other words)). I don't really keep myself updated with recent inventions, so yeah.  :-\

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
I didn't get my eyes lasered just so I can wear glasses again. If it offers military style HUD on civilian aircraft, now that would be cool.

So you don't wear sunglasses? Cuz that's what these will essentially be.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
I do, but never outside of driving/flying. AR while driving would be over-kill and far more of a distraction than anything else. AR while flying would be great since you could rig it to visually detect other aircraft you might not pick up and paint them. Instrument flying would be a lot easier too since you can keep your head up. Advanced HUDs for a fraction of the military equivalent price. FIR would be better, but that is getting towards restricted military tech.

I also don't make it a habit of wearing sunglasses indoors/underground like JC Denton.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
I see. It could be used for sailing as well in those cases.

I agree with you about driving, though if the camera had an infrared mode, it could lead to safer night time driving.

I actually think once these become wide spread that we'll have either the ability to block ads out right or be able to decide whether we want to see them or not. So when we walk through an outdoor shopping mall, we are not overloaded with ads. I also believe that we'll be able to put them in modes, sort of like Samus and her visors. If I'm at a party or a get together, I can put it in social mode and get background info on people on the fly. If I'm driving, I could see the trajectories of cars in realtime, as well as a wealth of data like on average how fast can this car ahead of me break and being able to get an instant heads up about a traffic collision or speed trap. If I'm simply walking, I could see what the weather is like by just looking up or access my phone's data by gesturing or even use it as a pair of binoculars to have a look at something from a far. And as I've said before, taking video and pictures would be a breeze.

It has a lot of potential if we think about it having different states and modes. So much so that I think these modes will one day have a store just like apps.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »
That would make for some interesting play throughs of some older VC games.

It would be nice if Nintendo maybe included this filter as and option so that you can make old games look new again.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
That is pretty cool but I'm sure some thing wouldn't translate well, Like Like-Likes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
Mushrooms could have medical benefits, researchers say

"When you see people undergoing that kind of transformation," he added, "it's really quite moving."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110615/ts_yblog_thelookout/far-out-magic-mushrooms-could-have-medical-benefits-researchers-say
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
^I'm not a doctor, but I agree.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 15, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »
really, that was the whole reason Tim Leary told people to use LSD, LSD was legal and Psilocybin wasn't.  The problem with LSD is its gets contaminated in labsand mixed with other drugs by shitty drug distributors.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2011, 10:57:02 PM »
I can't seem to find that post/thread on the Japanese ****/mud burgers, but all I want to to say is that it's hoax: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyRZdMBwojU&feature=feedu

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »
Memory chips for the brain
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/usc-restoring-memory-repairing-damaged-brains-124051534.html

One day we might have some Matrix-like learning.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2011, 04:44:49 AM »
thats awesome! I wonder how that tech will work 20 years from now. Im hoping for an end to Alzheimers and an increase in intelligence.
Also, did the the scientists watch this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Z_D9Grh18
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:49:01 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
I'm hoping that one day we will be able to go to the Memory Card shop and purchase specialized memory to be inserted in our memory card slots.

"Can I get the Neuro Surgeon Medical Degree chip on the top shelf, the Bruce Lee Jeet Kun Do chip on the left and the World Languages chip in the glass case please!?"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
I'm hoping that one day we will be able to go to the Memory Card shop and purchase specialized memory to be inserted in our memory card slots.

"Can I get the Neuro Surgeon Medical Degree chip on the top shelf, the Bruce Lee Jeet Kun Do chip on the left and the World Languages chip in the glass case please!?"
The world of MC stories already have a field day with that concept... I hate to see what would happen in real life.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
World Languages PLEASE. I could only imagine how expressive we could become.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
World Languages PLEASE. I could only imagine how expressive we could become.
Esperanto?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
Hahaha Kinda, but not really. I'm thinking about using each language when it's most appropriate, for example, when using idioms. I'd like the original language to be retained. So during conversation, I may speak several different languages at once; using the language that best describes what I'd like to say.

I already do this quite a bit with Arabic and English. When someone understands both, our conversation teeters back and forth through both, but I'm able to explain a concept much easier.