Author Topic: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*  (Read 189472 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap! *New Tech/Gadget Thread*
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2009, 05:30:10 PM »
While this is a breakthrough, one important step still needs to be uncovered, and that is how to transplant stem cells.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »
....being fat could now be seen as a financial benefit.

I thought the same too but..eh. Let stupid people lead unhealthy lives for selfish gains. In the end harvested stemcells would be extremely beneficial to man and these rich fatties can consider themselves martyrs if they want to. I wouldn't care as long as disease etc are being cured.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »
The ban on Stem Cell gets lifted and so much progress is made so quickly.

''Human eggs and sperm have been grown in the laboratory in research which could change the face of parenthood.

It paves the way for a cure for infertility and could help those left sterile by cancer treatment to have children who are biologically their own.
[...]
The sperm had heads and short tails and are thought to have been mature enough to fertilise an egg.

The eggs were at a much earlier stage but were still much more developed than any created so far by other scientists.
[...]
The science also raises the possibility of 'male eggs' made from men's skin and 'female sperm' from women's skin.

This would allow gay couples to have children genetically their own, although many scientists are sceptical about whether it is possible to create sperm from female cells, which lack the male Y chromosome.
source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1223617/No-men-OR-women-needed-artificial-sperm-eggs-created-time.html

there is alot more at the link
Can't wait to see when we start cloning human organs that are 100% from ourselves to that there is no chance of rejection.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 09:57:03 PM »
this thread needs more lulz..

sorta NSFW... robo vagina!?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:01 PM »
AhahahAHAhahahAHha

you got to be kidding me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2009, 10:15:17 AM »
I think that should be in the funhouse, EasyCure. No seriously, we should get one of those and put it in the funhouse.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »
i wish we still had banners, id suck ub's mannipple to get a gif of that in the funhouse.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2009, 03:25:49 AM »
5 years in the future your printer is gonna need some BioInk
So you can print out some new organs to replace your old battered and failing ones.
An engineering firm has developed a 3D bio-printer that could one day be used to create organs on demand for organ replacement surgery. The device is already capable of growing arteries and its creators say that arteries "printed" by the device could be used in heart bypass surgery in as little as five years. Meanwhile, more complex organs such as hearts, and teeth and bone should be possible within ten years.

The 3D bio-printer allows scientists to place cells of almost any type into a desired 3D pattern. It includes two print heads, one for placing human cells, and the other for placing a hydrogel, scaffold, or support matrix. The cells used by the device need to be the cells of what is being regenerated – building an artery requires arterial cells for example. Because the patient’s own cells are used the new organ will not be rejected by the body. The printer fits inside a standard biosafety cabinet for sterile use.

Its creators say that one of the most complex challenges in the development of the printer was being able to repeatedly position the capillary tip, attached to the print head, to within microns. This was essential to ensure that the cells are placed in exactly the right position. A computer controlled, laser-based calibration system was developed to achieve the required repeatability.

The 3D bio-printers include a software interface that allows engineers to build a model of the tissue construct before the printer commences the physical constructions of the organs cell-by-cell using the automated, laser-calibrated print heads.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 05:55:19 PM »
Thank the Lord.

*feels lungs/liver*

---------------------------------------------------------

http://gizmodo.com/5427913/hands+on-with-the-entourage-edge

This is the first step to leaving your books at home. At least it will be if someone finally realizes the potential to use the third or fourth generation for colleges.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »
Thank the Lord.

*feels lungs/liver*

You supply the exotic tobacco (and other smokables) and I'll bring the cognac.

We'll celebrate this tech till we need to print out new lungs and livers.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »
http://gizmodo.com/5427913/hands+on-with-the-entourage-edge
Pretty cool, but seems underpowered and heavy for the price, and it doesn't (yet) have 3G.  But yeah, a future version could rock.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »
Thank the Lord.

*feels lungs/liver*

You supply the exotic tobacco (and other smokables) and I'll bring the cognac.

We'll celebrate this tech till we need to print out new lungs and livers.

I'm inviting myself to this party and. I'm gonna smoke the **** outta these old, battered, asthmatic lungs!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2009, 06:38:45 AM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:55:08 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18446-giant-laser-reaches-key-milestone-for-fusion.html'

It has the potential of making more power than put in? Free energy anyone?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »
I read about that on NationalGeographic.com, and apparently if it works they will have a prototype Fusion plant built within 10 years or so: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/01/100128-nuclear-fusion-power-lasers-science/

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
Free energy anyone?

as awesome as that would be.. i dont really see it happening.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
I guess it really depends on how much it costs to make/gather hydrogen isotopes. But what is simply fascinating is this maybe the first time we've actually made more energy than we've put in; a chemical Everest.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
What about fission or combustion reactions?  Or am I misunderstanding you?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
I guess it really depends on how much it costs to make/gather hydrogen isotopes.

"Each one of these [fuel pellets] costs between ten [thousand] and a hundred thousand dollars," Mauel said. To use the pellet method to generate nuclear fusion power, "they'll have to cost less than ten cents a piece."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
The FUTURE is almost here guys(& gals). Energy Independence is within sight and Google may be leading the way.

Did you know that Google has taken steps to become a utility with the new ability to buy and sell power (like Enron). Google is also very heavily invested in green energy production (Solar, Wind, etc etc.) and are hoping to one day be completely self sufficient. Take that knowledge and combine it with the fact that they were the first to jump on this new tech, and you have your self-sufficient Google who may one day be providing us with everything that has to do with anything.

The Bloom Box: A Power Plant for the Home
Those two blocks can power the average high-consumption American home -- one block can power the average European home. At least that's the claim being made by K.R. Sridhar, founder of Bloom Energy, on 60 Minutes last night. The original technology comes from an oxygen generator meant for a scrapped NASA Mars program that's been converted, with the help of an estimated $400 million in private funding, into a fuel cell. Bloom's design feeds oxygen into one side of a cell while fuel (natural gas, bio gas from landfill waste, solar, etc) is supplied to the other side to provide the chemical reaction required for power. The cells themselves are inexpensive ceramic disks painted with a secret green "ink" on one side and a black "ink" on the other. The disks are separated by a cheap metal alloy, instead of more precious metals like platinum, and stacked into a cube of varying capabilities -- a stack of 64 can power a small business like Starbucks.

Now get this, skeptics: there are already several corporate customers using refrigerator-sized Bloom Boxes. The corporate-sized cells cost $700,000 to $800,000 and are installed at 20 customers you've already heard of including FedEx and Wal-mart -- Google was first to this green energy party, using its Bloom Boxes to power a data center for the last 18 months. Ebay has installed its boxes on the front lawn of its San Jose location. It estimates to receive almost 15% of its energy needs from Bloom, saving about $100,000 since installing its five boxes 9 months ago -- an estimate we assume doesn't factor in the millions Ebay paid for the boxes themselves. Bloom makes about one box a day at the moment and believes that within 5 to 10 years it can drive down the cost to about $3,000 to make it suitable for home use. Sounds awfully aggressive to us. Nevertheless, Bloom Energy will go public with details on Wednesday -- until then, check the 60 Minutes sneak peek after the break.

video

This is exciting news since if you think about how soon this could change everything.
Electric cars with solar panels on the roof powering themselves indefinitely. No more electric bill at the house, or atleast severely reduced.

But back to the Google link; There are also studies of delivering High Speed Internet over power lines. Could Google be looking to provide internet and power to your google powered search/browser/OS/Computer?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
I think I need to change my pants.

I'm jumping on the stock the first chance I get. ****...I'll make it my retirement fund cuz i can't trust these banks.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
My only concern with this is that if everyone is using it, will we have enough Oxygen left to live off of? We would need a massive reforestation effort to go along with this wouldn't we?
I mean if every American home ends up having 2 of these things just for daily power consumption and one in each car, and one for back-up/emergency/travel needs, that's alot of oxygen being sucked up.

Now if only someone simultaneously invented something that takes what this product puts out as byproduct and somehow recycles that back into something useful, then we have a gold mine here.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
you're concerned about our oxygen levels?

Really?!

Oxygen is the third most abundant element in the entire universe. I think we'll be arlright.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
I'm just hoping that the air doesn't become thinner once everyone, and I mean everyone, is burning oxygen for electricity.

It's not so much a concern for the short term, but the really long term.

You know how you see those post-apocalyptic movies where everything went wrong nd it all stemmed from something that started off as being relatively harmless, and then it was abused. Now humanity is fucked.

I'm just picturing a future where GoogleNet reigns supreme and oxygen isn't as abundant a resource as it used to be due to not taking care of our "taken for granted" free sources of oxygen replenishment. Now we have a Total Recall situation only we are looking for new sources of power so we can make more oxygen.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
Yeah but that's crazy talk. We burn oxygen everyday. Every single day. In our cars, stoves, log fires, factories, power plants, etc. etc.