Author Topic: Nintendo, the dare devil?  (Read 8936 times)

Offline Agent

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo, the dare devil?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2003, 04:09:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Wind Waker is not the first cel shaded game, but it IS the first popular celshaded game.

BTW, to the other guy, JSRF WAS a sequel. And loved by fans of the dreamcast who had the original. Just becuase the original wasn't realeased on a nintendo console, or wasn't loved by AS many, doesn't mean it wasn't a good series.

Not on the level of zelda, but still popular none the less.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2003, 06:19:21 AM »
I feel like I'm in a room full of teenagers, and all of them are experiencing puppy love.  Except the object of that love is not some cute vixen, but a company named Nintendo.

Just look at this topic.  You guys are bending over backwards to make Nintendo look like a goddess on a pedestal.  You claim Zelda was first in cel-shading.  Um, No.....  You claim Zelda is setting new trends in gaming.  Again, No.....  You claim Nintendo is exploring new territory by releasing the same old puzzle/adventure game that they've been releasing for the last 15 years.  Sorry, No.....  I've played the Wind Waker demo.  The dungeons play exactly the same as Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  They haven't changed it.   IN REALITY, Nintendo is no more "daring" or "risk-taking" than Capcom, or Sega, or Sony, or Activision, or any other top-of-the-line game developer.  IN REALITY, Zelda: WW is merely taking a tiny step forward... nothing daring or radical.

A game like Mr.Mosquito is radical/daring.  Zelda is not.

My advice to some of you: Take off the rose-colored glasses.   Nintendo is just a game company, not a love partner.  Try to be objective.
re: The Sims.  I thought there was a 2D version on old 16-bit computers.  Perhaps I'm thinking of another game called "Little Computer People" by Activision?  

Offline Arek Rashan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2003, 07:14:43 AM »
I think Iwata is having an affect.  I open up the local news on sunday, and in Target's ad pages, opposite the page for games and game systems, are several ads for televisions.  They all have the Wind Waker logo on the gold background as their screen "picture".  Nintendo obviously is paying Target ad monies for this service, but they've got to be reasonable rates.  After all, it costs Target precisely nothing in terms of real revenue or even of usable adspace for their own product.  And Target is one of Nintendo's best distribution channels, so this is a mutually beneficial transaction.  Similar tricks have been performed in the past, but if Nintendo's marketing people can turn up the heat, we might start to really see something.  More ads, Nintendo.  Do whatever you can think of.

Regarding innovation in gameplay, I'd like to make the observation that cel-shading can be nice and all, but ultimately it's just a different renderer, and the most immediate and vital part of Wind Waker's gameplay is its combat system.  I haven't got my hands on it yet, but it looks identical to my cup of tea.  Historical precedent and what I've heard and seen of its mechanics lead me to believe that game designers and hardcore enthusiasts will use it as a reference point for third person games for years to come.

-

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2003, 07:18:41 AM »
You could be right theaveng.
Capcom is certainly daring with Killer 7 or Viewtiful Joe and some other companies aswell.

But its really not so much being daring, but being innovative and good at the same time.
I dont think its was very RISKY of anyone ever to release a new concept, usually those actually excite people more than old concepts. Of course you take a risk with a totally wierd game like REZ, but those arent mainstream targeted anyway.

So generally releasing a new original title doesnt mean much risk, in this world of sucessful series it might be hard to establish, but new games that promise quality might get just as much attention.

I dont know how much you guys know about PC gaming, but games like STALKER or FARCRY (actually planned for all consoles too) are new original ideas but due to their interesting concepts and graphics already fascinated many people even though those games are scheduled for 2004.

I think developers know when a game is good, a certain risk is always involved, even with sequels.
LZ 2005

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2003, 09:47:24 AM »
Thanx theaveng.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2003, 12:58:16 PM »
When I said Zelda: Wind Waker was borrowing from RPGs, here's what I was referring to:

"The biggest real change, and it is a drastic one, is that Kaze no Takuto has taken on a stronger RPG design than any of its predecessors. While battles are still real-time and there are no experience points or “leveling up”, the story takes a far more prominent role than Zelda fans are used to. It’s not that the game’s design has been compromised to account for more plot, but rather that the same amount of story progression always infused into the series is now much more effective. To put it bluntly, the story is great. It’s creative, motivating, and unpredictable. It looks at the Zelda mythos from an entirely new perspective, and longtime fans of the series will be delighted to see a new take on the legend."

"The other RPG-like difference is the overworld. ... Link and his boat have an unbelievably huge world to traverse, and travel becomes a major new theme for the game. For the most part, it works wonders. The sea is literally full of things to do, monsters to defeat, and places to explore. If your favorite part of Final Fantasy games is exploring the overworld for secret places, you will have many, many hours of fun in Zelda’s nautical landscapes."

Source: Planet GameCube: http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviews.cfm?action=profile&id=264

So basically, the new Zelda is borrowing the ideas of a detailed, in-depth story and sidequests from already-existing RPGs.