Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #27: Mega Man 3 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 28096 times)

Offline Damaba

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #27: Mega Man 3 - Official Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 07:40:20 AM »
This will be my first time doing retroactive and I'm looking forward to some good old mega man challenge. I will be playing this on my brand spanking new 3dsXL!  If memory serves me right is this the Mega Man game with the glitch in Gemini's board when you fall down a pit but never die?
Basking in the glory of nintendo. Friend code 3DS 4742-6653-4533 =Damaba=

Offline tyrian3

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
This will be my first time doing retroactive and I'm looking forward to some good old mega man challenge. I will be playing this on my brand spanking new 3dsXL!  If memory serves me right is this the Mega Man game with the glitch in Gemini's board when you fall down a pit but never die?

congrats for your new jewel first of all :D
I don't know about that glitch, but in the Gemini Man stage you meet Proto Man and they just stare at eachother for a while, then he leaves. The other times you always fight. I always wondered why that happened :P
RFN aficionado since 2008, first ever RFN live call-in and live show staple! Affected by the Lindemann Syndrome.
Add me on 3DS/WiiU :D

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »
I'm thinking about doing this Needle -> Snake -> Gemini -> Magnet for a first four. At least then I have Rush Jet for Magnet Man, because the first game beat disappearing block sections out of me.

*shudder*

And for various political and financial reasons, I'll be playing on the Anniversary Collection for Gamecube. Let's see how awkward this gets.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
I'm thinking about doing this Needle -> Snake -> Gemini -> Magnet for a first four. At least then I have Rush Jet for Magnet Man, because the first game beat disappearing block sections out of me.

*shudder*

And for various political and financial reasons, I'll be playing on the Anniversary Collection for Gamecube. Let's see how awkward this gets.

Political?

I'm playing on my gamecube as well starting today.  I'm curious to see what your thoughts are, as I recall the controls not being that big of a hinderance when I played it last.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
I'm playing on my gamecube as well starting today.  I'm curious to see what your thoughts are, as I recall the controls not being that big of a hinderance when I played it last.

It's kind of a big deal for those of us old enough that the entirety of certain Megaman games are muscle memory.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
I'm playing on my gamecube as well starting today.  I'm curious to see what your thoughts are, as I recall the controls not being that big of a hindrance when I played it last.

It's kind of a big deal for those of us old enough that the entirety of certain Megaman games are muscle memory.

Ok, so I played for about 5 minutes.  The controls are ass.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »

After about 2 hours of playtime, I've bested the first 8 robot bosses.

I played MM3 quite a bit as a kid but haven't touched the game in 20 years or so and don't really remember too much of it.  I didn't remember the "correct" order or having to face off against Protoman.  Other things, like having to hook most of my jumps in certain areas (to scroll the screen and trigger an enemy), came back pretty quickly. 

A little patience goes a long way and, with few exceptions, it's far safer (and saner) to back up a little bit, assess where you need to land, wait for a safe opportunity, and then continue.  Charging ahead and relying on reflexes rarely pays off and often lends itself to a quick, annoying deaths.  Once I got used to the idea that Megaman is pretty weak, delicate, and immobile, I was able to lock into a method for clearing stages pretty easily. 

Outside the bosses, I'm not really enjoying the game.  The game isn't bad, per se, but being Megaman just isn't a very engaging experience and I feel like I'm on autopilot, most of the time.  I'll try and finish the game up this weekend and give a final impression.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
Lucky for me, my roommate's PS2 collection contained the Anniversary Collection. So I got to play a mostly playable version. And I managed to beat it in a little over two hours.

I still stand by Top Man (Top... Man...) being the most irritating Robot Master in the entire franchise. Yes, I know about Air Man, Heat Man, and I could hear the argument for Shadow Man even. But Top Man's power is probably the most frustrating ability this side of the Charge Kick considering you never know when it's going to make contact.

In the final form of Wily, I spent a good 15 minutes dying repeatedly because I was trying to make the jump from the right platform and land Mega Man on top of Wily's sprite. I finally got the job done when I realized I had to instead land between the giant spike and Wily's sprite to actually do some damage. The only other time I actually managed to get it to work was on the Heat Man fight... even Shadow Man had to be beat with Hard Knuckle (first fight) and his own weapon (boss reunion).

I think I see why they brought in the charge shot for 4 after playing through - I found myself using the rapid-fire function given in the Anniversary games (Y on the Gamecube controller, Triangle on the PS2) way more than I wanted to. If I didn't, I was losing damage races to the likes of the porcupines in Needle Man's stage and the fullscreen snakes in Snake Man's stage.

Last MM3-specific point - I found the game throwing extra lives at you to be a problem in the later Wily stages because I found myself needing more E-tank and weapon refill opportunities than the game would afford. It was really bad after the Yellow Devil because I got bad draws on the ? tanks the rest of the game and got 1-ups where I needed E-Tanks and weapon energy to get Hard Knuckle full again.

Political?

I'm not a fan of NES games getting more attention on the 3DS's Virtual Console than actual handheld games, so although I'll take NES games when offered I don't actually buy them.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Rodrigue

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 01:49:55 AM »
Outside the bosses, I'm not really enjoying the game.  The game isn't bad, per se, but being Megaman just isn't a very engaging experience and I feel like I'm on autopilot, most of the time.  I'll try and finish the game up this weekend and give a final impression.
I agree, but for different reasons I think. Usually I just get stuck at one point and have to restart until I get past it. Rinse and repeat. It's just annoying having to redo the same thing over and over because of a difficult jump or an annoying enemy.

I considered using the save state on the 3DS Virtual Console, but I haven't done it yet. For now I'm just using it to save at the selection screen to avoid remembering passwords.

Offline tyrian3

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
Last night I did the first bosses, in order Top-Shadow-Gemini. Having Rush Marine (you get it with the Shadow Blade) is useful in Gemini Man's stage, maybe the water section there is the only reasonable use for the whole thing. Too bad because I've always liked it! Top Man was very easy, I know that level and the boss like the back of my hand. Shadow Man was pretty hard with the Mega Buster, I couldn't avoid his sliding charge. Then I used the Top Spin and after 4 (kamikaze) hits he was gone. Gemini Man's stage is really cool once you get in the underground part. I've never understood why Proto in this one just stares at you, then opens your path and goes away. The coloured tiles in the background are always nice to look at :) The boss isn't really hard, shoot him to the left and then jump carefully to avoid him, once the clone is gone unload the shadow blade on him with fury!
Now I'll do Snake Man and Needle Man. I can't wait to get to the old MM2 bosses part :D
RFN aficionado since 2008, first ever RFN live call-in and live show staple! Affected by the Lindemann Syndrome.
Add me on 3DS/WiiU :D

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 02:54:25 PM »
Ooooooooooooh, here we go. I promised you folks back in the poll thread that I had a LOT to say about this game, and indeed I do. I'm not sure if I should break my separate talking points into different posts or not. I shall do so at one of the Moderator's requests if my filibuster is one that impedes accessibility to the information herein or the thread in general.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let us begin!

http://puu.sh/2IQKx.png < See that right there? that little jittery bit of misplaced pixels just above Shadow Man's window on the stage select screen? THAT right there made me think for years and years and YEARS that there was something wrong with my copy of Mega Man 3. that the game at any moment could go to a mess of garbage graphics and nonsense pixels all over the place. I thought something happened to my copy and I needed to get a new one.

Only, the same thing happened. Heck, even the ROM i'm using to capture screens for my posts here have this very minor graphical glitch, but it really sets the tone for how barely functioning Capcom allowed this game to be shipped out in, and how stressful of a development cycle it must have been for Mr. Inafune, who at the time was forced to ship out a game that while it stood on a proven engine and has some cool ideas, also suffers from many of these cool ideas being half-baked, ill advised, or the potential in an idea just not being realized properly. Mega Man 3 is my third least favorite classic series game next to Mega Man 7 and Rockman & Forte [not counting spinoffs, the game boy games, Wily Wars, the abominable DOS games, the Game Gear Mega Man V port, Or Rockman & Forte 2: Challenge from the future for the Wonderswan]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Level design is a chief reason that the Mega Man series receives the accolades that it does. Levels are usually intuitive and promote some of the most brilliant examples of iterative learning in a video game. to this effect, they actually do a pretty good job of that by usually placing Hammer Joes in spots where you won't get hit by their hammer at first and you can clearly see their eye color change before they toss it, telling you something is up. There are instances of really, REALLY badly designed levels in this game, though. Things are pretty hunkey dorey outside the bugged out platforms form Snake Man's level that will push you into the abyss if you're standing on the pipe as it spawns them, or the really obnoxious placement of a hammer Joe just at a spot that requires Rush coil to get up to in Hard Man's stage, but those are small potatoes in comparison to the real horror of the Doc Robot stages.

Doc Robot was a good idea in concept. bring back 8 enemies that resonate with those who picked up our huge smash hit game as a set of bosses to face after you beat the new set of robot masters! because we know that the player has toughed it out through the robot master stages already, we can make these stages more difficult and put in more instances of mandatory use of the travel items and weapons! It all sounds great, but the truth to the matter is is that they recycle stage themes from the Robot Master stages, which starts to set in the only instance I can think of in the classic series where fatigue ever really set in from having to play through stages that use similar tile sets, enemies, and the same music from Spark, Shadow, Needle, and Gemini Man's stages. add in the fact that because there are 2 bosses to these stages with stretches of stage in between each boss, these stages are long. they also don't have very many checkpoints. THERE ARE NO CHECKPOINTS BETWEEN THE BEGINNING OF A DOC ROBOT STAGE AND THE FIRST DOC ROBOT IN SAID STAGE.

They even put in the little boss gates, which are usually an indicator of "Hey, here's a checkpoint before you fight a boss!" but this is all terrible lies that were never properly put into the game. Doc Robots themselves are terrible to fight as well. the beauty of the Mega Man series is that not only does a robot master tend to have a weakness to a weapon, these weapons usually tend to be something that is particularly situated to fighting that particular Robot Master. there are good examples of this in Mega Man 3, like Hard Knuckle being good for hitting a target that's only vulnerable while it's completely immobile like Top Man, or Search snakes being well suited to fighting Gemini Man, a robot master who only jumps when he's made a complete run to the walls of his boss arena. The point is that Mega Man 2 bosses were designed for Mega Man 2 boss arenas with Mega Man 2 weapons. Doc Robots are huge in comparison to the robots they are mimicking. This becomes a HUGE problem in fights like Flash Doc, Air Doc, and Quick Doc where strategies that previously worked in Mega Man 2 no longer work because it's nigh impossible to clear them with a jump or stand in a tiny nook of the room where they land from a jump to get in a few quick and easy hits.

There are no checkpoints between the beginning of a level and the first Doc Robot of a Doc Robot stage.

Compounding this further are a couple of the Rush Jet required segments of these stages. Particularly, the Air Doc and Crash Doc stage where immediately after the frustrating Air Doc Fight where you discover the easy way to beat Air Man is gone because Doc Robot is such a fatty, you get greeted with a weapon energy capsule, the annoying Parasyu enemies from Shadow Man's stage, Yambows, and a very, VERY long expanse of bottomless pit. you're likely weak from fighting Air Doc, not aware of the walking in pits cheat unless you have Nintendo Power/internet, and probably not aware of how the heck to exploit Rush Jet's horrible design flaw that makes it the most broken version of Rush in -ANY- Mega Man game. the weapon energy doesn't respawn, so I hope you can make it in one go, or you're gonna have to farm Yambows for weapon energy, which aren't exactly the most ideal enemy to do that from. the inexcusable laziness of not providing at last an easier enemy to farm that has a higher drop rate of weapon energy here is inexcusable, and the lack of health after Air Doc is equally kinda devastating. It makes it a real slog and a chore. especially if you're not particularly well versed in Crash Doc's reactive attack pattern. Long story short, the Wily Castle is a REAL breath of fresh air in spite of being laden with recycled boss battles too [yay, we get to fight another Devil and another Clone like in the original Mega Man!] here from all the slowdown-laden, overly long Doc Robot Stages where you somehow have to figure out how to beat Quick Doc with the worst weapon in the game.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"But wait, Clex!" you say. "Quick Doc isn't weak to the Top Spin!" you cry! That's absolutely correct! you know why? Because Top Spin is actually one of the BETTER weapons in Mega Man 3 when applied correctly.

TOP SPIN:
it's a robot master weapon that takes skill and finesse, yes... but it's essentially like the Instant Shield from Sonic 3 and Knuckles. it's energy efficient and takes out a lot of the regular enemies in the air in a fairly efficient manner. yes, you can lose all your weapon energy for it as it only drains weapon energy when you successfully connect with an enemy. Mega Man will also get pushed away from said enemy if you don't have any directional input held, and thus you can kinda harmlessly bounce off of incoming enemies and kill them at the same time with a well timed Top Spin.

GEMINI LASER:
Absolutley terrible. does about the same damage as a regular buster shot  to most enemies and you can only have one of these slow moving projectiles on screen at once. doesn't go through walls because it rebounds off of them, making it take even LONGER to get your one shot off screen. also, you can't switch weapons while there's a Gemini Laser on screen! if you miss, you are totally defenseless! JOY!

SPARK SHOT:
Also pretty bad for similar reasons to the Gemini Laser. it's not very damaging, and when you use it to stun an enemy, you can't hit them again OR switch weapons. it's kinda handy for freezing Bikky at the peak of it's jump or Returning Monking, but otherwise, it's pretty useless except as a boss weakness weapon.

HARD KNUCKLE:
This might as well be a melee punch because there's very VERY few enemies that this is worth using on. it freezes Mega Man whenever he fires it, it travels through the air slow with a bit of directional input allowed, and hits hard if you manage to hit with it. I'd say it's kinda good for mini-boss type enemies if Needle Cannon or the buster didn't outclass it in raw DPS and rate of fire. it works best when you get up in the enemy's face and fire it. also good I guess for the first half of the Gamma fight.

SHADOW BLADE:
Let's nerf the Metal Blade! yeah, this one doesn't impress me too much because of the rate of fire thing I've been talking about. it'd be a lot more useful if you could shoot it at the downward angles you could for the metal blade or if it could pass through enemies to hit 'em twice.

NEEDLE CANNON:
Buster replacement, ho! Now this is what I'm talking about! it may not fire totally straight, but Needle Cannon is a wonderful way to butter through enemies if you're not good at mashin' the B-button with the buster. I suggest prioritizing Needle Man because he gives the two most broken weapons in the game.

MAGNET MISSILE:
This one's all right, I guess. outstrips the Shadow Blade in taking out enemies above and below you as it shoots out a projectile that will shoot up or down when it detects an enemy it can hit. at only 14 shots, it's kinda costly for the pittance of damage it does to some aerial enemies in comparison to Top Spin, but it takes a lot less spot-on accuracy to use Magnet Missiles, so it's a preference thing.

SEARCH SNAKE:
One of the best weapons in Mega Man 8 Bit Deathmatch is also an improved version of the Bubble Lead from Mega Man 2. does decent damage, has similar rate of fire to the buster with 3 shots on screen at a time, and climbs the terrain. overall, I like the little guys a lot, and I actually would suggest using these to kill Gamma's second form over Top Spin if you're inexperienced with Top Spin.

RUSH COIL:
Ah, yes. Robot's best friend was an idea introduced in this game, and to give it a push, many bits of level design are clearly meant to try and get you to use the red pooch as much as possible. Mega Man 3's required bits of level that have Rush Coil are an interesting idea that potentially dooms you to energy farming if you use too much and die before a checkpoint. still, It has to count for something that Rush Coil is a movement utility that lets you fire, unlike the previous Magnet beams and  items the series had up to this point.

RUSH MARINE:
Cool idea on paper, not very useful in practice. if you have Rush Jet, use it instead.

RUSH JET:
More unbalanced than Metal Blades. You heard me right. This game's version of Rush Jet is pretty much a god-tier Mega Man item. fill enemies on the screen no matter where they are with Buster lead, AND trivialize any and all platforming challenges with it's ability to move any direction without hindrance. FUN FACT! Rush Jet does not consume it's weapon energy if Mega Man's Feet are not touching it. this means most of the time you 'ride' rush jet, you should actually be riding it like you're a newb playing your first fighting game and doing nothing but jumps.  http://puu.sh/2ISl3.png seriously, I think you can get like... 3 minutes of flight out of Rush jet by just hopping on it all the time.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of new series additions, there's a couple of other big ones that Mega Man 3 brought to the table... namely, the Slide and Protoman.

The Slide is about the best idea in Mega Man 3. it provides two VERY much needed things to Mega Man in giving him a way to move a bit faster from his usual plodding jog, and away to shrink his hit box in a way that can't be abused like a duck and promotes using good timing to dodge the telegraphed attacks of the Robot Masters.

Proto Man, however... as much as I LOVE Blues and his Racer X-esque qualities, I can't help but feel he's a very half-baked idea. that could have been SO much more grandiose than what we actually got. there's actually another series that had an NES entry that did this kind of character in a way that was great.

http://www.meta-knight.com/info/gameinfo/2.jpg

Before this handsome fellow was toppin' the tiers at Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournaments, he was a menacing mini-boss type situation that would show up unexpectedly to either lend Kirby a hand or challenge and test him. We never actually got to see Meta Knight's actual fighting abilities through the course of the game, only that he wielded a sword and had a very similar body type to Kirby. It built this tension as he threw his minion waves at Kirby, which were enemies you wouldn't normally face through normal levels, and you had to figure out how to get through the mall.

Picture this, if you will; Proto Man has been challenging Mega Man as a mini-boss, but uses various different robots to challenge him and test his abilities rather than doing it himself. that is saved for the actual Break Man battle that serves as a pretty pointless stop-gap between the Doc Robot and Wily stages in the current game.

This last Proto Man fight is pointless as you've faced far tougher challenges in the Doc Robot stages, and literally nothing changes about Proto Man in this fight other than the arena and his appearance. But if you hadn't fought him before and found out he has a similar Skill set to Mega Man, but one thing even better; He can Charge up his Buster shots and Fire them at you in a large burst!

Dr. Wily's Revenge was already in development when this game came out for the NES, and in that you fought a new rival enemy that gave you one last power for the Wily fortress... And Proto Man as of late has always been shown to be the one with the chargeable buster and have that unstable reactor that gives him such power that he won't let Dr. Light replace. How wicked would it have been if the Mega Buster was your prize for beating Break Man before the wily stages? oh well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

There's a few other little attentions to Detail I could note, like talking about how you can get Weapons and Rush adapters early because of the poor implementation of the menu screen, or how there always seems to be this weird colored flicker when ever there's horizontal scrolling or how you can enable odd Debug codes by holding button combos on Controller 2 [I used to do that with my feet when I was a kid.] or wacky other bits of trivia and such, but I feel that this post shall have to suffice for now.

I'd like to congratulate those who managed to brave this word soup. As I said before, I can edit this post and split the various points of it into individual posts if need be, Dr. Metts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:02:57 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline BrandonCHFG

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
I had three games for the NES, Super Mario Bros (and Duck Hunt), Mario 3, and RC Pro Am.  Of those three I played them endlessly, but I never played many of the classic NES games.  Since I've got my 3DS, I've been playing through some of them, and I'm excited to play this one for the first time.  I am almost finished with Mega Man 2 and it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Offline BrandonCHFG

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »
My first lesson playing Mega Man 3 is that the Save State functionality of the VC can utterly ruin an experience.  I started MM3 by setting save points after every difficult point.  If I died or lost a lot of energy, I'd restore and replay until I got through with my health intact, then save again.  Functionally, this worked, but it was boring, especially those points where I died over and over.  Then I decided to play through each level until Game Over, and didn't worry about saving.  Queue the Heavenly music!  It was a completely awesome experience.  Sure, it sucks to finally get through a massively difficult section, only to die because you mistimed a jump, but it pays off in the end when you start to get the level's rhythm.  After doing 5 levels so far like this, the game is starting to feel comfortable.  That comfortable feeling is why I still have fun playing Super Mario Bros. even now. :D

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
This is my first Nintendo World Report (Radio Free Nintendo) RetroActive. Here's my progress:

Robot Masters
Magnet Man:[size=78%] The stage is pretty easy except for those disapearing blocks. I’ve always hated those. Magnet Man himself was a bit challenging. But I was able to defeat him eventually.[/size]

Hard Man: This stage was kind of hard. And I had to “farm” for weapon energy since I used up all my Magnet on the gorillas.

Top Man: This level was pretty easy. The cat gave me a bit of trouble the first time he appeared. I was able to beat them easily the second time onward.

Shadow Man: Ok, that whole darkness thing? Pretty cool. And what’s the red liquid coming from the ceiling supposed to be? I’m sure this would have been censored if this was a Castlevania game (like Super Castlevania IV). Shadow Man was easy to defeat with Top Man’s weapon but, I don’t like the mechanic.

Spark Man: This stage is pretty cool. And very easy. The most difficult parts were avoiding the electrical beams and especially the screws that unite in the air. Spark Man was a cinch with the Shadow Blades.

Snake Man: Snake Man’s stage is really awesome. The graphics are great and the snake heads look really cool. It suddenly turns into Airman’s stage at the end.

Gemini Man: This stage looks good, but it’s pretty annoying, at first because of the robots that drop flame walls, then because of the tadpoles, then because of the big penguins. Gemini man was real easy, though.

Needle Man: Needle Man’s stage was pretty boring. And Needle Man went down fast with the Gemini Laser.

Old Robot Masters
Spark Man Ruins:
Metal Man: I used Hard Man’s punches and he went down easy.
Quick Man: He gave me a bit more trouble because his boomerangs hit hard and you can’t have more than one Gemini Laser beam out.

Needle Man Ruins:
Air Man: Air Man was a bit difficult. I died a few times trying to jump over his vortexes.

Mini Bosses: Big Hard hat. This was annoying because you had to hit him square in the cross. I found the best weapon to be the Hard Hand.

Crash Man: I ran out of Hard Knuckle, so I had to use Needle Cannon. It worked pretty well against Crash Man.

Gemini Man Ruins:
Flash Man: He went down really quick with the needle cannon.
Wood Man: Took a few tries and an energy tank, but I was able to defeat him with the Needle Cannon.

Shadow Man Ruins:
Bubble Man: He was easy to defeat, but the Shadow Blade is no Metal Blade.
Heat Man: This has been the most difficult boss so far. He deals lots of damage and is very cheap.

I'll continue tonight.....

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 01:11:17 AM »
My old friend AussieBen posted this link on Twitter, and I had to share it here due to the perfect timing.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/12/02/a-fantastic-mega-man-3-arrangement-for-chiptune-lovers/

It's a hacked version of MM3 with a new arrangement to use Konami's sound chip that has three extra audio channels (the one in Japan's version of Castlevania 3). It sounds unbelievably awesome, yet still totally 8-bit and totally Mega Man.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »
My old friend AussieBen posted this link on Twitter, and I had to share it here due to the perfect timing.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/12/02/a-fantastic-mega-man-3-arrangement-for-chiptune-lovers/

It's a hacked version of MM3 with a new arrangement to use Konami's sound chip that has three extra audio channels (the one in Japan's version of Castlevania 3). It sounds unbelievably awesome, yet still totally 8-bit and totally Mega Man.

That sounds great! I wish he would do the same for Mega Man 2.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »

Actually, Johnny, it's not so much a hacked game as it is that RushJet1 did up an arranged soundtrack in Famitracker and then basically edited the video together by splicing in sound effect rips along with his tracks [the one he did for Wily 4 was impressively timed out to be in time with the music, considering that he used counter melodies and base lines from the robot master's stage.]

Yes, RushJet1 did a fine job. especially love how he's got the Mega Man 1 Wily boss riff in there for the wily castle boss music since that castle recycles boss concepts from that game in spades. Also love that he did the Wily Marine fortress theme from Rockman World 3/Mega Man III on Gameboy.

I'm glad someone linked that, though. I was thinking about doing so on Wednesday when everything was wrapping up, as it also proves to be a very skillful playthrough that doesn't use Energy Tanks and goes Buster Only on all bosses Except Gamma. Take note on how he seems to struggle the most on the poorly designed Doc Robot bosses. >_> it's a good basis for my argument that they are a really bad addition to this game. I could then springboard off and say that tooting the nostalgia horn doesn't work since you only faced them in the previous game. Doc Robots are a rehash in the worst way possible, and I'm very glad that the closest they ever get to trying to do them again is the Wily Memory unit out of Mega Man 10, which by comparison is actually an excellent boss battle because the Memory units are still the same size as the Robot Masters in question and still manage to replicate the attack pattern without introducing any poorly thought out variables.

But yeah. Rushjet1 is pretty awesome. seriously, check out his other videos. And Danooct1. And all the other awesome people out there that do awesome Famitracker stuff.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:47:06 PM by ClexYoshi »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »

Holy moly, that Sparkman!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Haven't played this game since the early 90's, but it's still a blast. I've completely forgotten the "correct" order to defeat the bosses, but I seem to have lucked out, since I picked Top Man at random. From there I've just been going clockwise, so aside from Shadow Man I haven't been exploiting any weaknesses yet.

On a related note, am I using Top Man's power incorrectly? I don't recall pirouetting into enemies to be the ideal way to use a boss' weapon, and I sometimes take damage when I use it...

On a broader note, the game's easier than I remember. I only died three times in four stages so far (twice to Shadow Man, before I remembered to try using prior powers. I couldn't figure out what pattern, if any, he uses, and his slides hurt).

I suspect though that's mostly because I recently replayed Castlevania, which has instilled a certain caution and deliberateness in me. One thing I really like about the series, and this game in particular, is that there are extremely few "cheap" moments, at least so far. There are plenty of death pits, and enemies placed in infuriating positions (hate those stupid hedgehogs), but you always get a chance to observe the danger in relative safety first, so you know how to approach the things. One example that leapt out to me was Shadow Man's stage, where the parachuting enemies can knock you back into a pit, but the first few stop high enough to warn you, with future ones gradually creeping down. By the time you encounter one that will hit you the moment you land on the platform, you've run into three or so such enemies, so dying there is really your own fault for not paying attention. Contrast this with other NES games, like the crows in Ninja Gaiden, and Mega Man III feels even more refreshing in its fairness.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
So, I started playing this yesterday. First time seriously playing it in probably 15 years. My pre-planned route?

Snake Man -> Gemini Man -> Needle Man -> Magnet Man* -> Spark Man -> Hard Man -> Top Man -> Shadow Man

So far, I'm up through Hard Man's stage. For some reason in my mind, I could have sworn that Magnet was weak to Needle. Wrong wrong wrong. So anyway, after that hiccup, I've continued on. At least I almost remembered the full boss/stage order - or as a friend used to say when we were kids, "Have you made it to the captain yet?! Ah, days gone by.

Mega Man 3 has always been my favourite of the 8-bit MM games. I've played and beat all of the others, though I've yet to finish MM6, but MM3 is definitely my fav. It probably has more to do with the fact that this was the one MM game I actually owned - I rented or borrowed all of the others.

I tried playing this on the NES, but I'm missing my controller. So, I tried using my old NES Advantage. :P: Big mistake...not because it's a bad controller, but because the B button wasn't working. Ooof. Back to the GameCube version. Ugh.

So, yeah, that's how I've been playing the game. Reversed jump/fire buttons. And it's awful. But I can do it.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
As a kid I always went Snake man first.  I don't know why, there wasn't any real strategy or anything I just always started with him.  The funny thing is I still remember that stage as an adult now. Maybe because I played it so much.  I originally decided to play like that, which I did on my first start.

Today though I decided to retry and do one of the more practical orders. So I started with Top man, was shocked at how easy the stage was in comparison.  I don't remember that stage at all, yet had no problem with it.   Going to move on to Shadow next.

It's funny how I have replayed the X series so much, yet I haven't revisted the original series in a very long time.

Offline grantimus

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • Operation Rainfall
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
Like a lot of folks here, this is my first time playing along and writing about a Retro Active feature. 

I consider myself to be a glutton for punishment with games of today's era.  Trials, Super Meat Boy, Runner 2; these are the games I find myself playing over and over again, losing hours to my desire to get a slightly better score. 

With the Mega Man games, I started as a kid on SNES with the Mega Man X series.  I've never really played one of the numbered iterations.  This game is hard, and what makes it worse than the games I've mentioned above is that you can't immediately retry the section that I died in.  I typically get 3 tries to beat a level, sometimes there's checkpoints midway through the stage, other times there's not, but most often, I got to the end of the stage with no lives left and barely any health, and promptly died before I could even figure out the boss' patterns. 

I still managed to beat a few of the bosses, but maybe Mega Man just isn't my thing, because I feel no real desire to plow forward.  Call me a heretic if you will, but damn I'm glad most games now have eliminated "lives."
Now Playing: Mega Man 3, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Go Cardinals!
Nintendo is my girlfriend, except for my real girlfriend

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
Maybe it's a sign of me getting older, but I am finding that I don't have the patience to learn some of the old platformers like I used to.  I've started a few times before committing to Snake Man as a start point.  I got to the point where you're on the sky pillars, and twice in a row got hit mid air, being knocked into an insta-death pit. 

I'll second Grantimus' comments that being forced to start a stage all over because you run out of lives is a bit too punishing for a game that hinges on you memorizing enemy patterns to effectively counter them. 

This kind of game is something that as a kid I probably would have played hours on end, taking the time to complete the game by trial-and-error.  Hell, I did that with the original Mega Man.  But I can't seem to make much progress before encountering an entire new enemy that whittles my health away to nothing. 

When I'm playing something like Demon's souls, it provides a considerable level of challenge while also conditioning you to learn enemy patterns, utilizing proper tactics, and punishing you appropriately for doing something you know you shouldn't have after the fact. 

My biggest problem with this game is that I don't feel like there are any lessons learned when you make a mistake in this game, other than "lol, shoulda seen that coming".

-----
As a fun side note, here is Title Intro to the Megaman Anniversary Collection I played on GC.  Was a very WTF moment every time I loaded it up.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:03:01 PM by lolmonade »

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
I remembered the game being much more fun when I was a kid. 

I ended up with a glut of energy tanks due to their abundance in the later levels as well as 2 of the redux stages having parts that become impassable if you're all out of Rush Jet.  Terrible level design for a game that places enemies pretty fairly and doesn't ever really pile on the player.  Doc Wily was a cakewalk and I had 5 unused energy tanks when the credits rolled.  Kind of an anti-climactic end, unfortunately.

I never locked into a groove when playing MM3.  It might just be the weapon/rush switching really breaks the flow of the gameplay, or the fact that certain errors, like clipping an enemy while jumping a gap, are entirely damning, but I could never escape the feeling that I'm performing a few select functions again and again just to progress.  My play-style was more procedural than intuitive or organic--the game just didn't feel good to play.

Just for a bit of vicarious living, I checked out youtube to see how this game is played by people that love it.  Some people have truly impressive runs through the levels and glitch (or cheat/fake) in ways that would never occur to someone like myself (who was never in love with MM enough to really try and break the game down).  For all my complaints, I do really appreciate that the game is well made--with great sounds/music/graphics--as well as being loaded with unique levels and enemies.  I can easily see why people (with different tastes than my own) would love Megaman 3. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:01:10 AM by marty »

Offline BrandonCHFG

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »
I've now played all of the levels except Gemini.  I've beat one (Top Man), the others I've played through until my lives were spent, which usually got me pretty far or to the boss.  After I attempt Gemini, I'm gonna go back through them all the same way.  At this point, I care more about getting a feel for the game than actually beating it.

The music is fun.  I don't always notice/care about music in general, but some things just catch my ear (Mumford and Sons!) and I find myself just sitting at the MM3 title screen waiting for the melody change.  The levels are also catchy.

Level design is interesting.  I also don't like switching between my weapon and rush.  However, the spinning tops platforms, the parachuting heads, cloud camouflaged missiles, etc. are fun and unique.   

Gameplay... meh.  It's rewarding to make it through a series of perfectly timed jumps.  The jump/blaster moves are tight.  I HATE the slide.  It's probably just me but I can't get the hang of it and instead of sliding under the enemy I hit him.  The slowdown when several enemies hit the screen is also killing me.  Literally.  The screen slows down and I can't aim at the stupid cat's bug children!  The crazy thing, though, is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  Some snippets of a level are downright boring.  Others might lag or otherwise cheat your way to a quick death.  But the whole level, played through multiple times until you feel the rhythm (a.k.a. memorize it), adds up to a rewarding experience.  But, I STILL hate the slide.  :D