Author Topic: Fire Emblem Fates Shattering US Sales Records  (Read 8676 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Fates Shattering US Sales Records
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
I remember when Fire Emblem titles allowed you to choose a certain storyline path without having to pay for it. Those were the days.

And thanks for the clarification, Don.

Which game(s) do this? I've only played Awakening and Fates, but I really like both of them and would love to go back and play some of the older ones

I think Sacred Stones on the GBA/Wii U VC lets you do that, but it's the only one that comes to my mind. I don't remember allegiance choices in Radiant Dawn.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:40 PM »
Even then it only lasts like 6 chapters before you rejoin the main path.

Offline Ninferno

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 07:16:25 PM »
I remember when Fire Emblem titles allowed you to choose a certain storyline path without having to pay for it. Those were the days.

Which game(s) do this? I've only played Awakening and Fates, but I really like both of them and would love to go back and play some of the older ones

Like broodwars has said, The Sacred Stones has branching paths, but that is only a 6-chapter difference. It is nothing like Fates where the branching paths are 23 chapters' long which is the majority of the game. Thracia 776 has branching paths as well, but that is like 3 chapters. New Mystery of the Emblem has you choose your opponents during the first few tutorial chapters, buy those are super short tutorial fights. What I'm trying to say is, the "path splits" situation of Fates has never happened in Fire Emblem games before and comparing previous smaller scale path choices to it serve no purpose other than confusing people that are not as familiar with the franchise.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
My very specific concern with the special edition isn't about price, but rather what if I want to share the game with my brother who has his own 3DS? Anything I download won't be shareable right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the Special Edition would have allowed me to share the full experience with someone else?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
You get the other path for $20, right? Half off?  So, even if the two games are more like 1.5 games, aren't you only paying 1.5x the price?  Isn't that still a fair deal?  I'm missing something on this "splitting one game into two" stuff.
The truth is, they shouldn't be two separate titles, period. It's just a stupid marketing scheme to make people think they're getting MORE for their money when it's nothing like that.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
My very specific concern with the special edition isn't about price, but rather what if I want to share the game with my brother who has his own 3DS? Anything I download won't be shareable right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the Special Edition would have allowed me to share the full experience with someone else?

Correct. Also my complaint.  Our family has multiple 3DS consoles, anything downloaded is immediately locked to one console. 

You always could swap entire consoles with your brother. You know, assuming there isn't any other content locked to your console that you might want during that time.  But that seems like a poor solution, when Nintendo making a sufficient number of Special Edition carts available to cover the preorders (which only lasted about 30 minutes once they were open) that were taken.  Instead they chose make it a limited resource. C'est la vie.
NNID: ejamer

Offline fred13

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:55 PM »

I think Sacred Stones on the GBA/Wii U VC lets you do that, but it's the only one that comes to my mind. I don't remember allegiance choices in Radiant Dawn.

Thanks, I think I'll download Sacred Stones on my Wii U and check it out.

Offline fred13

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »
You get the other path for $20, right? Half off?  So, even if the two games are more like 1.5 games, aren't you only paying 1.5x the price?  Isn't that still a fair deal?  I'm missing something on this "splitting one game into two" stuff.
The truth is, they shouldn't be two separate titles, period. It's just a stupid marketing scheme to make people think they're getting MORE for their money when it's nothing like that.

Who made you the king of determining what's enough content and what isn't? I'd say if you're not happy with the whole thing then just buy 1 of them and treat it like it's not a choice when you get to chapter 6.

Or if you think that that's not enough content to justify $40 then don't buy it, but don't try to tell us that it's not enough. Fates has the same number of chapters as Awakening. (I played through Awakening twice using a harder difficulty the second time and put about 70 hours into it) Awakening more than justified the $70 price tag for me. As for Fates, my daughter wanted to play Birthright and so I bought it and I've been going through it with her (she's only 6), but I wanted to do conquest so I started a new file and when I got to chapter 6 I paid the $20. I feel like I'm getting 2 very different, but related games so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. However, some people don't want that much Fire Emblem and just 1 version will make more sense for them. Personally, I'd never buy both versions of a Pokemon game because it doesn't make sense for me, but I don't rip on others that do and I don't try and tell Nintendo/Game Freak that they are money hungry scoundrels for making 2 versions of the game to try to sell more copies.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »

I think that right there sums up everything in this complicated discussion. That post is pretty much perfect.

If I had to come up with something to somehow tweak or enhance this post in a futile effort to make it better because of a gun-to-my-head type situation the only thing I can think of would maybe be to put some words in front of the period to make a complete sentence of some kind. But I don't think that's necessary. "." is perfect to me.  8)

This is just a joke about the posting error not the poster itself. Any offense taken by any reader is of their own risk and Khushrenada can not be held responsible for it. (Just like every other crime of this century. I'm too smooth.)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.