Author Topic: SPECIALS: The 2006 NWR Awards  (Read 14205 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
RE: SPECIALS: The 2006 NWR Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 05:25:35 AM »
I'm just sorry Children of Mana wasn't able to win anything because nobody else had played it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:SPECIALS: The 2006 NWR Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 05:29:49 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
Who cares about DQXXL the wii name change was more than surprising, it was shocking.

Fully agree there. You couldn't avoid the topic on these forums when it was first announced, and they always sprawled on for pages and pages when they took place. People really got into the conversations too, with both sides offering up extremes to support their case.

The DQ announcement was big... but didn't have nearly the amount of impact on most as the Wii name did.

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I went about halfway through and then gave up - too many pages, too many awards.  No offense to NWR, I hate these things in general.

Another point I would agree on. There were just far too many, and I nearly lost interest in even going to the end but JUST made it to the "Staff Looks to 2007" page and then the "overall" caught my eye so I continued.

Originally posted by: 18 Days
BATEN KAITOS ISN'T WORTH A PINCH OF SHITT

...die.

I didn't like Origins as much as the first, that I will say. I did love the "wing" feature to speed up movement on screen, which was much needed. However, I much prefered the old card system, as the new one favors not using defensive items at all (whats the point when you can't have that and a weapon equipped at the same time?) and generally speaking about 70% of your deck stayed exactly the same through out the game due to the basic 1/2/3 attack moves. It promoted less grinding, but also made it so most new cards wouldn't ever get used.

Still, it had me hooked from start to finish regardless, and I would suggest it to anyone who liked the first.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 05:39:47 AM »

Normally I would consider something like that "whatever Zelda you own" thing to be a cop-out but not in this case.

Yeah, there was a pretty substantial debate on what to do about Zelda.  Since I prefer sword swinging on Wii, I would have picked the Wii version, but several guys were disappointed or outright hate it.  Plus the one staffer that's played both versions could not bring himself to choose one over the other.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 06:00:03 AM »
Yea, the biggest surprise in reading everything was definitely that the Wii name wasnt jumping and screaming out on the top of the list in bold, underlined, and italicized text.  I never complain, but bad call there, thats a no brainer.  I would actually flip the order of that list. Other than that, nice job. Maybe reader votes for 2007? Or possibly reader votes followed by staff votes? That would be interesting.
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 06:38:37 AM »
Red Steel confirmed financial success, reality phail.

Red Steel is the new Enter the Matrix.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 06:49:49 AM »

Originally posted by: MegaByte
I'm just sorry Children of Mana wasn't able to win anything because nobody else had played it.
I played it (I'm not PGC staff though).  And I liked it.  I really wanted to like it a lot more, though.

You'd think it would've gotten recognition for really beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds.  Most Mana games at least have that.

EDIT: Oops, I see that it was nominated at least.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 06:57:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
/seppuku...TEKKAI.

Fixed. Elite beat Agents is overhyped, it has flaws that make it that much of a game not yet worthy of special attention, it's good, not great.

You're insane in the  membrane, and possibly in the brain as well.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 08:54:13 AM »
The editor of this article needs to be fired (or at least severely reprimanded).  TYP's name is misspelled four times--twice on this page and twice on this page.  Michael, not Micheal.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 09:04:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Red Steel confirmed financial success, reality phail.

Red Steel is the new Enter the Matrix.

I like Red Steel much better (and am still playing through it). Funny thing is, I've tried to sell my copy of Enter The Matrix on several occasions to different stores which buy used games and none of them would take it off of my hands.

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
The editor of this article needs to be fired (or at least severely reprimanded).  TYP's name is misspelled four times--twice on this page and twice on this page.  Michael, not Micheal.

If we did that every time we spelled someone's name wrong, there wouldn't be anyone left on the site.  Lighten up.

Fixed now, though.  Thanks for pointing that out (and sorry TYP).
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:31 AM »
I'm light; I'm breezy.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 10:54:31 AM »
I agree with most of the awards. Good show.

you're still going to get the most amazing Zelda experience you have ever played in your entire life.

Speak for yourself! OOT 4 life!

I don't know what folks were smoking when they voted Castlevania as prettiest DS game. It's good and all, but is it really all that much better or more amazing than Dawn of Sorrow?

I'd say it's less pretty, from what I've seen....

Normally I would consider something like that "whatever Zelda you own" thing to be a cop-out but not in this case. In this case it actually applies.

Right. The things that are amazing about the game are not system specific.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 11:31:27 AM »
I completely disagree with Monkey Ball being a disappointment, sure the minigames are mostly crap, but the fact the single player is by far the best in the series and the Wii controls work perfectly with it tips the balance back out of the disappointment area to me. I also think it deserves at least runner up in the Best Music category.

Props for the Wii Sports love, I'd actually give that GOTY over Zelda.

Best publisher Square-Enix is a joke, let this non-game company die already.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
"Speak for yourself! OOT 4 life!"

Nuts to that!  Link's Awakening DX 4evar!!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
BATEN KAITOS ISN'T WORTH A PINCH OF SHITT

Correct.

The review said it best, it was Diablo, minus the fun which Diablo arguably didn't have much of anyway.

And yeah, these are all games I've either played or resolved not to play anyway.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
I would personally call NSMB the biggest disapointment.  I was expecting a great throwback to the classic 2D Mario platformers, but instead the platforming was bland, Mario's movement didn't feel right, and the new graphics and music were lame.  As for MPH, I was sorta disapointed, but feel similarly to Ian regarding it.

Also, while I certainly dug TP, I think calling it without a doubt the best Zelda ever is going a little overboard, personally.  Also, I've already complained about its music, so needless to say I don't think your praise of it was deserved. :b
GOREGASM!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »
Pretty solid awards overall. Can't argue with 'em. Though the staff could have canned the formalities and just called the Wii categories the Zelda Award, then the best game that wasn't Zelda.

Red Steel was the second game from Ubisoft that suffered from overhype. XIII takes the cake though, but its similar. Red Steel was supposed to be the knockout hit, the one that would address Nintendo's shortcomings: Lack of 'mature' content and exclusive 3rd party support. Instead, its a mixed bag at its best. While XIII tanked, Prince of Persia came and swept the gaming world off its feet. Where Red Steel stumbled, Raving Rabids picked up the slack.

I like the VC award category. My suggestion would be for next year would be to break it up by systems: Each system has their respective best entry, it'd be a shame to just pick one title out of the (hopefully) many games coming out this year.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 01:49:21 PM »
EDIT: Entered the double post club.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline ~J~

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 01:52:06 PM »
Is it some kind of twisted fate that even posts about Elebits get ignored?  I can't be the only one that appreciates the game.

...or can I?
Cure the infamous thing

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 02:17:51 PM »
I like it, but I think a lot of people blew their money at launch and haven't gotten to play it yet.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2007, 03:17:13 AM »
well I have to say you guys did a good job, as  was scrolling down I pretty much called every category right on except for a couple GC games I never heard of.

NSMB was the BEST mario game ina  LONG time and I really enjoyed it through and through. If it wasnt for Wii coming out though I wouldnt have paid much attention to any Nintendo console games ebcause the GC stuff was very slim and for me mostly lacking. Zelda is awesome so far and it keeps getting better and better.

The biggest disapointment for me was no online for Wii at launch but I should have expected that.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Speak for yourself! OOT 4 life!"

Nuts to that!  Link's Awakening DX 4evar!!
I want to take this opportunity to point out that Ian's favorite Zelda game (perhaps favorite game, period) is a port.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2007, 07:04:34 AM »
"I want to take this opportunity to point out that Ian's favorite Zelda game (perhaps favorite game, period) is a port."

Touche.  But it is the better version still.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 07:44:33 AM »
wasnt that a Gameboy game? I never played any Zelda on GB for too long. Imissed all the original GB games cuz I never had one till GBA came out.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 07:48:54 AM »

The "Let it die" award for a series that has been producing nothing but crap for years but refuses to die?

I want to take this opportunity to point out that Ian's favorite Zelda game (perhaps favorite game, period) is a port.

You mean a director's cut. And hey, why would he prefer the unenhanced version unless he had a faible for abusing the select bug?

I don't think the Wii name announcement deserves an award as surprising. A games console gets renamed from a highly pretentious and generic name to a unique one that is clearly specific to the product? Where's the surprise? Oh, right, in American every single syllable word refers to genitals in some way.