Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 243517 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »
"Bad" though the art may be, it works extremely well for the subject matter.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2009, 06:58:02 PM »
To add more meat to my prior post (without actually editing it)..

The last time I stepped in to a GS (a day or 2 after the Metroid Prim Trilogy released) I wasn't acknowledged even ONCE. After working retail for a few years (and still in a customer service heavy job) it irks me to no end that employees don't have the common courtesy to say "hello" even once. There used to be one guy that worked at this GS that'd say hi, cuz he sorta knew me from the mall we both used to work at (he transfered from that GS i used to frequent to this one), as well as another one who recognized me as a regular so he at least said "'sup" or something along those lines, but every other employee just ignores me and every other customer that walks in. I shouldn't have to wait till getting to the counter to be spoken to dammit.

/rant
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
That may be different cultures but I find it incredibly annoying when the store clerks greet you before you've even shown an intent to talk to them, gives me the feeling of being watched all the time and expected to buy something when I'm just browsing.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
That may be different cultures but I find it incredibly annoying when the store clerks greet you before you've even shown an intent to talk to them, gives me the feeling of being watched all the time and expected to buy something when I'm just browsing.

That's the point. You're less likely to steal, and feel more obligated to buy than browse. Courtesy and politeness doesn't really enter into the equation.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »

I used to feel that way, and still do depending on how the interaction goes, but for the most part as a potential customer I like to feel acknowledged. I don't want or expect someone to drop what they're doing and come shake my hand and say "hey how are you today? What can I help you with" because that comes off as sorta pushy, like they're expecting me to buy something; it puts pressure on the customer. All I ask for is a simple smile and nod and who knows maybe even "Hi".

When I walk into a store and don't get greeted, and have to seek out help (which I don't mind doing) and get an employee reaction as if i'm bothering him, why would I bother coming back or giving them my business? In my experience, when you walk into a store (yes even a gamestop) and get a simple greeting, when the time comes to ask for assistance or just check out, the customer/employee interaction just comes out smoother. You don't feel like you disturbed the employee by asking for help, and the employee treats the client a little bit friendlier.

Again, I've worked retail/customer service so I've had "training" here, but more importantly just the experience from being on both sides, I know what its like. Then again, it all varies from person to person anyway so this whole post was a waste of time :P

Oh, and Morari brings up another important point.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »
HI WELCOME TO CICIS
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
Also, one of my closest friends (who I am less close to in recent years, sadly) is a store manager at Gamestop, so whenever I talk about shopping elsewhere, he usually replies with a sad face emoticon.  I think he's really oblivious to how much most people dislike GameStop, since he doesn't frequent forums or gaming blogs.

FWIW, I know he genuinely believes he's helping the customer when he greets them and guides them toward purchases.  He may come off as a little pushy from time to time, but he has really great intentions, and he's super friendly. 

But still, I don't shop there (the store is in a different city anyways) when I can help it.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
Quote from: EasyCure
I don't want or expect someone to drop what they're doing and come shake my hand and say "hey how are you today? What can I help you with" because that comes off as sorta pushy, like they're expecting me to buy something; it puts pressure on the customer. All I ask for is a simple smile and nod and who knows maybe even "Hi".

You know what would get annoying, is if everyone PM'd EasyCure with HI, WELCOME TO NWR WHAT CAN I HELP YOU WITH? everytime they saw him on the who's online list
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »
I don't want or expect someone to drop what they're doing and come shake my hand and say "hey how are you today? What can I help you with" because that comes off as sorta pushy, like they're expecting me to buy something; it puts pressure on the customer. All I ask for is a simple smile and nod and who knows maybe even "Hi".

You know what would get annoying, is if everyone PM'd EasyCure with HI, WELCOME TO NWR WHAT CAN I HELP YOU WITH? everytime they saw him on the who's online list

I'd LOL ;)

Especially if you said "Hi, welcome to Costco. I love you"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
I hope you guys have a good plan for long distance calling eachother.

And you heard it here first folks, GP wants to deflower our little uncle Stratos!

you really don't wanna see the comic I would post to support why this relationship wouldn't work ;)

*by request only*

edit: reaction by EasyCure after seeing the comic
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahahahahahaha

That comic is both hilarious and horrifying. LOL.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2009, 05:30:43 PM »
Stop hijacking my thread with stuff that should be PM's!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2009, 09:58:33 AM »

Gamestop still sucks.

Better?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2009, 10:15:02 AM »
FWIW, I know he genuinely believes he's helping the customer when he greets them and guides them toward purchases.  He may come off as a little pushy from time to time, but he has really great intentions, and he's super friendly.

I think noone's complaining about genuine advice but much "advice" that comes from Gamestop employees tends to be intended purely to fill their quota, not to help the customer. Suggesting a game or accessory to the customer when he'd be happier with that is one thing (e.g. steering them away from bad games) but offering idiotic options like that game protection nonsense or preorders on games you never asked for, that's pushy.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
I really can't stand it (at Gamestop or anywhere else) when employees come up to me and ask if I need help. No, I know what I'm looking for goddamnit, and if I'm confused, I'll ask YOU.

And to GS employees everywhere:

Geezus fracking Krist, most gamers who come into a GS know something about video games, including me. Don't freaking lecture me about what games are good and bad on (insert system here). I'm just gonna start carrying a bundle of my NWR business cards around, and start handing them to GS employees who start talking to me.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »
You have NWR business cards?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
Is there a stamp that says "Club Nintendo Platinum Member"?

"Back off, bitches."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
I really can't stand it (at Gamestop or anywhere else) when employees come up to me and ask if I need help. No, I know what I'm looking for goddamnit, and if I'm confused, I'll ask YOU.

And to GS employees everywhere:

Geezus fracking Krist, most gamers who come into a GS know something about video games, including me. Don't freaking lecture me about what games are good and bad on (insert system here). I'm just gonna start carrying a bundle of my NWR business cards around, and start handing them to GS employees who start talking to me.

I'm never lectured when I go into my favorite Gamestop, they respect me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
"My favorite Gamestop" is the same as "my favorite non-lethal virus."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Gamestop still sucks.
Better?
A little better, but still not ideal. The purpose of this thread was actually to show that GameStop wasn't so bad.
It is a spectacular failure.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
Gamestop still sucks.
Better?
A little better, but still not ideal. The purpose of this thread was actually to show that GameStop wasn't so bad.

Much like your campaign against the Funhouse

www.instantrimshot.com

Hey.... but I wasn't joking.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »

Just like GameStop itself.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »
You have NWR business cards?

Yes.  They are required for access to press events.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »

But other people won't. Don't get pissed off just because people are doing their job.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »

But other people won't. Don't get pissed off just because people are doing their job.

Exactly, and some places have boss/management on top of your ass making sure you go and ask every single customer that steps foot in a store if they need help (making it borderline harassment) and if you dont, they fire you..

is that what you want halbred? for people to lose their jobs?

for shame.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »

Exactly, and some places have boss/management on top of your ass making sure you go and ask every single customer that steps foot in a store if they need help (making it borderline harassment) and if you dont, they fire you..

is that what you want halbred? for people to lose their jobs?

for shame.

Why do we have to suffer for things that happen between management and employee?