Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 242606 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
Oh yeah... The Mario Kart 8 thingy! I need to see about going to that...
Thanks for the reminder.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 18, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »
Another thing, marvel_moviefan, if you want to "send a message to the company" you don't send that message to the minimum wage slaves. You send it to the higher ups. Voice your opinion to the people who are in charge, not the associates that are getting fucked up the ass just as much as you are when you walk into the store.

Oh yeah... The Mario Kart 8 thingy! I need to see about going to that...
Thanks for the reminder.

Hm?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:55 PM »
Another thing, marvel_moviefan, if you want to "send a message to the company" you don't send that message to the minimum wage slaves. You send it to the higher ups. Voice your opinion to the people who are in charge, not the associates that are getting fucked up the ass just as much as you are when you walk into the store.

Agreed. Getting in employee's faces is how you get a letter or a call from police or a legal team. It is called harassment. You don't like it you leave.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 18, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
The level of harassment you get at a Gamestop is entirely dependent on the environment at that particular store.  There's one a few blocks away from my place, and they're always friendly, only ask you if you're looking for something specific prior to leaving you alone to shop, and only asking once as you're checking out if there's anything coming up that you want to reserve.

I think the most effective way to "handle" excessively pushy GS employees is 1 of 2 things:

1)  Don't ever go back to that Gamestop.
2)  Tell that employee whose being pushy that their pushy nature is what'll keep you from ever buying something there, and then proceed to option 1.

« Reply #654 on: May 18, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
You don't send a GS employee a message by getting in their face and being threatening. That's something that'll get you kicked out.

slow down when did I say threatening? I think your reading way too much into what I said.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 18, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
Still, it's not their fault it is the way it is, so it's kind of a dick move to make them the ones who take **** for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 18, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
[...]I just get in their face [...] I can be intimidating in person.

While you didn't explicitly say you were threatening anyone, you very much implied it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #657 on: May 18, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »
then I will rephrase it, when they start their harassment I tell them in a stern voice to knock it off as I am not interested. It might be their job to sell me **** but I do not have to take it. I am not overly rude in real life but I am similar to what you see here, obviously I admit that. I also don't give a **** what people think of me I freely admit that too. I do however believe everyone should be true to who they are not not be so phoney which is what it sounds like people would want me to be. Anyways I don't care I never pre-order **** from them and I rarely shop there like I said only when they are having amazing clearance sales that are hard to pass up.

« Reply #658 on: May 18, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
[...]I just get in their face [...] I can be intimidating in person.

While you didn't explicitly say you were threatening anyone, you very much implied it.

Oh the intimidating part, yes I am naturally a scary looking dude and I have one of those voices people cringe when I talk, it is a curse but I use it to my advantage as best as I can.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
gr.

I really feel that GameStop has been turning it around  as of late.  I've found a store with really good employees and they're sooooo much less naggity about preorders and cards and what have you.

Went in to my usual location tonight - GameStop has a "Skylanders Day" coming up and they're going to have to exclusives for this event.  I wanted to see if I could get any info from the store w/r/t if they'd be holding the exclusives for the event, selling them early, etc.  Guy asked if I was looking for anything.  Said they had some new Skylanders stuff coming out I was curious about.  "Oh, Superchargers?  That's not due out for a couple of months."  "Naw, there are two new GameStop exclusives for Trap Team coming out for a Skylanders event you have coming up."  "I don't know anything about that, man." (okay, I don't expect you to know everything in the store.  stop here and we're cool, man).  "It's all a waste of money since you're going to have to buy a whole new starter kit in three months anyway.".  "What?  No, all the toys from the old games work with the new game."  "Yeah, but you have to buy a new portal for the new game."

For those of you who don't follow - the new games retail for $75 each... and that's if you don't find them on sale.  Game comes with three figures., portal, game disc.  Most new games run $60.  So, you're paying $15 for three figures and the portal.  Even if..

"Naw, you don't have to get the new portal, you can useyour old portal and do the digital download..."  "No, you can't.  You have to get the new portal, even if you download the game."  "No, trust me.  You can use your old portal."  "If you say so... but when you're in here buying the new portal at launch, I'll just give you a thumbs up."

Asshat.  I'm pretty sure I know a bit more about Skylanders than you do.

I'll let my fellow forumers google if I'm right or not. (PROTip: I'm right.)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #660 on: June 18, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
normally I would say your right but I'm still pissed at you.
Made you look ****.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »
Those prices tho...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
What's weird is how hard it is to find dreamcast games now a days...where did they all go?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 22, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »
Gamestop is cheaper on some of the prices though. Otherwise, still par for the course here.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 22, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »
I still (mostly) like GameStop, and we have a store locally that usually does a really good job. But they pissed me off today.

Bought a few used games, and was getting checked out happily chatting to someone beside me. Dude ringing me up is like, "that comes up to $XX.XX, just swipe your card when you are ready".  So I swipe and pay, finish my conversation and get ready to go, then stop. Wait, what was that total? Check the receipt and then complain: "hold up, I didn't ask for a warranty and don't want a warranty - you can't just charge me for something that is optional without asking".

The guy wasn't apologetic at all. "Oh, I mentioned that you're getting disc protection while you were swiping your card. It's ok, it's a great deal and you didn't say anything then."

Look, I know sales associates put up with a lot of crap from annoying customers and aggressive corporate policies/mandates. But adding extra fees at the cash without asking very much rubs me the wrong way.

"Dude, you can't charge me for something I don't want without asking. You didn't ask, you assumed and tried to slyly let it slip by - in fact, it would have slipped by unless I checked my receipt. That's not cool, you know it's not cool, and I want a refund."

The only good point: a few other people were in store and heard this. (I wasn't loud or obnoxious - just very matter-of-fact.) The others heard, agreed with me, and a guy getting rung up at the same time asked if they pulled the same thing on him (they did) and also complained.

So yeah... why tell the story? Because I wouldn't at all be surprised if this new approach to warranties is a corporate mandate and that other stores will try to pull the same BS.  If you buy, pay attention when they ring you up and be sure to check your receipt.
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 22, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
I highly doubt that is a corporate mandate.  I would send that up though the district manager - that's some shady bull**** there.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 22, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
I highly doubt that is a corporate mandate.  I would send that up though the district manager - that's some shady bull**** there.

I wondered about doing that, but since it's never happened before and that store has built up a good reputation, wanted to give benefit of the doubt as long as it doesn't happen again. 

("Benefit of the doubt" obviously won't stop me from complaining online though.)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #668 on: June 22, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »
Nothing has ever stopped anyone from complaining online.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:56 AM »
I don't know why anyone with a right mind would shop at EB (Our Gamestop). They run "Perpetual" sales which is illegal here but they somehow get away with it. Their selection is poor and laughable expensive. Some of their store managers are horrible people who have drunk the cool aide and go all Laissez Faire when you question their practices.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 24, 2015, 05:32:10 AM »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 25, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
I feel that games being available in game stores helped keep the prices down, and then once they no longer dealt with a certain system then prices would start to rise since people on eBay would try to inflate everything. So in theory, having these games in more stores again could be a good thing... but it may be too late, as it seems they're still going to charge inflated prices for them. Though, maybe if it makes them more widely available again then it could bring down some prices.

I remember years ago when these stores had stuff like NES and SNES games at "cheap" prices. I wish I had the foresight to see how collectible and crazy expensive everything was going to get, so many deals I likely passed on...

I wonder if they're going to do GameCube and PS2, I still want more games for those systems.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 28, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, Melinda!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #673 on: October 29, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »
I love Gamestop they always have lots of cool stuff to look at. 
They might not have the best customer service, but you can't beat their selections or their prices.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 29, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, Melinda!

It's almost a shame the comment you were responding to was removed, leaving your reply without context.