Poll

Which game should be played and discussed on RFN for the next RetroActive?

StarTropics (NES)
7 (11.1%)
Bonk's Revenge (TG-16)
6 (9.5%)
Comix Zone (GEN)
4 (6.3%)
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
29 (46%)
ActRaiser (SNES)
17 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: January 27, 2010, 01:27:47 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #11 Poll -- Second Chance Edition  (Read 17501 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #11 Poll -- Second Chance Edition
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »
The theme for this edition of RetroActive is "Second Chance". The nominees were all runners-up in previous, console-specific polls. There was a tie for second place in the Super Nintendo poll, hence the presence of two games from that platform. Also note that Bonk's Revenge actually came in third on the TurboGrafx-16 poll, but the true second-place game, Cho-Aniki, has been disqualified under our "Three Strikes" rule. (Cho-Aniki was also included in two other early polls.)

All five of these games are available on Virtual Console at the usual prices.

Please use this thread to discuss the nominees and argue for your favorite. The poll results will remain hidden until voting has ended.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #11 Poll -- Second Chance Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Woo. Now this is a poll I can get on board with.

I would like a good excuse to try out Bonk's Revenge, so I'm voting for that. Bonk: Brink of Extinction is coming to WiiWare in a couple of months and I don't even know if I should be excited about it. No better way to find out than to play one of its ancestors.

If I am totally honest with myself though, I'll bet that Super Mario RPG wins. That's not so bad; it's still fun to play through; that said, I feel the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series have surpassed it in most respects. Plus, nearly everyone has already played SMRPG. It's nice to go for something most people haven't experienced and it isn't such a risk when it's something well renowned like Bonk's Revenge (which is meant to be the best of the TG-16 trilogy if I'm not mistaken).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:03:14 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:11:59 PM »
I voted for Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars, though I wouldn't mind if StarTropics won. I don't own the other games or systems.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »
Out of the ones listed I have Star Tropics,Comix Zone and Super Mario RPG.Haven't played Actraiser or Bonk's Revenge yet.

Jonny what happens to the losers of the poll? Is there a chance of them coming back in another poll?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
Jonny what happens to the losers of the poll? Is there a chance of them coming back in another poll?

The losers of this poll do have a chance to come back eventually, although it would probably be a while. Super Mario RPG might be on its third chance, but I'd have to confirm that.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
Totally going with Super Mario RPG. I've been looking for an excuse to play that again.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
Super Mario RPG is boring.  It hasn't held up well, especially compared to the other Mario RPGs available.  It's also been discussed to death on RFN.

ActRaiser is unique--and I'd love an excuse to finally play it--but it's already been discussed on RFN several times.

Bonk's Revenge is a fun game, but it's pretty much a straight-up early 90s mascot platformer, so there's not a whole lot to talk about.

My vote's for either Star Tropics or Comix Zone.  I haven't decided yet.  Probably wait until the poll gets closer to ending so I can see which has a chance of winning (assuming either can compete with the juggernaut that is sure to be Mario RPG).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
I think Super Mario RPG holds up far better than the Paper Mario series, personally.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »
Hell yes it does. Paper Mario is...Fisher Price's My First RPG. Aside from Superstar Saga, SMRPG is my favorite Mario-themed RPG (because there's been so many).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »
I voted for Star Tropics. I think some people talking about the difficulty of Comix Zone turned me off of that one. I never finished playing through SMRPG when I got it on VC so I'll probably just pick up where I left off if it wins.

I knew I had some points sitting around on the shop for a reason! I have gone in and almist spent it several times but I kept thinking it had a specific reason for being there.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »
Hell yes it does. Paper Mario is...Fisher Price's My First RPG. Aside from Superstar Saga, SMRPG is my favorite Mario-themed RPG (because there's been so many).

Honestly, Super Mario RPG couldn't be more aptly named. That's all it is: an RPG with Mario. I'm happy that Paper Mario and its successors only contain light RPG elements because, at heart, they are puzzle platformers. That's the bulk of the gameplay and I personally find it more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I like SMRPG. However, bear in mind that whatever gets picked is talked about at length twice on RFN. As Vudu pointed out, it has already been discussed ad nauseum on earlier episodes. I fear discussion on it could quickly lean towards "been there, done that".
Hey, you know what hasn't been talked about yet and hasn't been played by many people? Bonk's Revenge.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »
I'm waiting on Jonny to let me know if Mario RPG is on its 3 chance before voting. If it is than I'm voting for it. The other games will have another chance.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
Its on its second run. I'm pretty sure the SNES poll was its first chance.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 07:00:31 PM »
Super Mario RPG is the worst of the Mario RPG games (the Paper Mario games are so much more fun and the Mario & Luigi games are really fun too), but it's still a good game. In the future I would like to talk about Comix Zone and StarTropics, but for this poll I am going with Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
two words: Comix Zone

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
StarTropics all the way. I quite enjoy the Americanized Zelda-style.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
Man, I just bought Cho Aniki a few days ago. I'd love to hear your guy's thoughts on it. Oh well
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
Super Mario RPG has dated visuals and is a slow, boring and repetitive game.  In addition the game is just too long.

Actraiser has beautiful 16-bit visuals with a soundtrack that pushes the SNES to its limit.  In addition, the gameplay combines two genres for an exciting game with an enjoyable story.  The simulation is fairly basic but serves its purpose in the story well.  The platforming has crisp controls, well designed levels and challenging bosses.  The length of the game is perfect as well.  Long enough to be a great experience, but no so long that it feels like the developers put in filler material just to extend the length of the game.

I vote for Actraiser.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
Whatever does get picked, I hope it's neither Actraiser nor Startropics because those games have been discussed to death on this podcast.  Bonk's Revenge I couldn't care less about (I wasn't interested in the TG-16 when it came out, and I'm even less interested now), and Comix Zone is just cruelly difficult (but I would play it if it won, as I already own it).  I chose Super Mario RPG as the lesser of all evils.  It's by far my favorite of the Mario RPGs (and I'd argue it's the only good console Mario RPG), but I wouldn't be likely to play it now since I already gave it a replay back in September.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
COMIX ZONE FTW !!!!!!!!

Sorry Jonny. I am curious what you guys think about the 'puzzles'.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 11:10:59 PM »
I think some people are exaggerating how much we have discussed any of these games. I know most of them have come up in New Business, probably when they first hit Virtual Console, but that means we spent at most ten minutes discussing them, probably over a year ago. The great thing about RetroActive is that we can get all four crew members, plus the listeners, playing together and discussing the detailed mechanics, aesthetic choices, progression, etc.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
I'd be happy with any of these except Comix Zone.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
I am not sure how much fun Comix Zone would be. I actually did own the Genesis original (I don't know if I still have it) and I played it on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It's just so frustratingly cheap and difficult. I never could get that far in the game. I liked the look of the game though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MarioIsFrench

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »
Bonk's Revenge! Bonk's Revenge! Bonk's Revenge!
DC Universe questions that make you wonder.

• Why can't Green Lantern just make a "kill all bad guys" button with his green lantern powers?
• Aquaman? Alive? WHY?
• Can anyone beat Batman with prep-time?
• Can anyone name all super heroes/villains in the latest Infinite Crisis book without wiki?

Offline freezestar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
I vote choaniki and you can't stop me!  ;D