Author Topic: Nintendo may have sidestepped the largest fight in electronics  (Read 6867 times)

Offline MukiDA

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Warning: Wall of text.

I'm not sure if anyone keeps up on non-gaming news, but a good chunk, if not most of you, have probably seen the biggest battle currently going on across consumer device makers: The fight to be THE set-top box.

Apple has the AppleTV, Google has GoogleTV, and now the Nexus Q. Microsoft is trying to turn their Xbox platform into the place to go for everything, from Netflix to Battlefield. Even Sony has done a pretty good job of trying to link all of their "Bravia" devices, including the PS3, together under a single ecosystem.

The average consumer has a tendency to not be a big fan of switching inputs on their television, and this is probably the largest contributor to everyone fighting so hard to stay on the TV. If you watch all of your movies on the Xbox, why bother switching over to the PS3 to start playing games? Vice versa, of course, and with digital distribution of games becoming far more prevalent in this generation (and probably ubiquitous in the next), game makers are doing everything possible to become the given choice.

So it's with this that it seems that the Wii U has pretty solid potential in terms of getting a non-trivial foothold here. Any one of us with a modern smartphone (iOS, Android, and even Windows) knows full well the power of notifications. Things that you wouldn't even bother with before, like social networking, becomes a lot easier when you have that simple buzz or "ping" signifying that something at least slightly relevant to your interests has come up.

The thing is that the Wii U gamepad, assuming Nintendo does this right (I think we all have more than simply "our doubts" here), has the potential to do this in the living room. The thing is, even when the system's not showing up on the TV, the pad is still there to handle both gaming AND all that Miiverse stuff. The latter is where the magic lies. You can get a notification for a game invite when you're watching a movie on the same game system whether it's the PS3 or the Xbox. However, you won't get ANY of that when you're on another system, or just on the Blu-Ray player, or just watching cable. The Wii U is pretty much going to be the ONLY system that can notify you about friends wanting to start a match in Mario Kart or have their town visited in Animal Crossing while you're using the TV for something else ENTIRELY. Even Smart Glass won't have that. Being an app on an iPad or a Droid means that it has to be run, and isn't going to be there at all times.

Keep in mind, this working correctly will depend on a LOT more competency in this sector than Nintendo has ever shown, so like I said, I have my doubts. But keeping people playing even when their TV is being used for something else may end up being the best long-term decision Nintendo's made on this system.

It's the only thing plugged into your TV that doesn't HAVE to try to do everything in order to stay relevant. All it has to do is play games, and that's an advantage that nobody else will have in this upcoming generation.

Well, at least until E3 2015 when everyone has a touchscreen controller.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:33:35 AM by MukiDA »

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo may have sidestepped the largest fight in electronics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
?  You can already do this on the Xbox 360 or PS3?  Of Course I turn the feature off (Busy) just because I hate popups in the middle of a movie.

The only advantage would be watching "cable TV" while the WII U is on, then you'll get requests on your "gamepad" but you can do the same thing with any smartphone/tablet as well so it's not exactly a great big leap IMO.

As for gaming on the gamepad, the games themselves have to support that feature, nintendo calls it Off-TV screen play.  I'm guessing you'll have to look at back of the box to tell what games support that feature, I know ME3 will since it was part of the Q&A but there's other games that won't.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:57:31 AM by ymeegod »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
First of all. Cool post. A post should only be considered a wall of text if the contents are boring, and this certainly wasn't.

For me though, none of what you describe is all that important. I don't use any social networking (I honestly do not understand the appeal of Facebook or Twitter), I don't own a smartphone (I only own a phone should people need to speak with me), and I'm also not all that interested in being kept up to date with what my friends are playing, what achievements they have, or indeed what they had for breakfast.

I probably sound like a curmudgeon to some people, but I prefer to be left alone with my thoughts when enjoying entertainment; be it film, books, music, or video games. Having notifications and invites will no doubt be cool and useful for some peolple. For me though? I'll probably just turn those features off. I say let these companies fight to be the one stop shop for all our entertainment needs. If they want my custom they will show me some great games.
Gouge away.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »
The main difference between Nintendo and all of those other companies mentioned is that Nintendo only produces video game systems.  All of those other companies sell complementary hardware and services that from a business standpoint gains an advantage if they can market their wares as a all-in-one entertainment platform.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
The main difference between Nintendo and all of those other companies mentioned is that Nintendo only produces video game systems.  All of those other companies sell complementary hardware and services that from a business standpoint gains an advantage if they can market their wares as a all-in-one entertainment platform.
Agree, but Nintendo really needs to look into having Netflix, Hulu, DLNA Compliance, shoot even Blu-Ray or Cable box integration in a such a way they become the prefered device for those services.  The more someone is using you product the more its on there mind.  Can convert something from getting forgotten and dusty to being used for occasional gaming.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
How hard is it to push the input button on your remote control?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »

It's like, how much more difficult could this be? and the answer is none. None more difficult.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
Honestly, Harder then it is for me to switch from a Game to a Blu-ray Movie to Netflix on my PS3.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »

It's like, how much more difficult could this be? and the answer is none. None more difficult.

But its more than that. Its how the hardware and software works in tandem in various ecosystems. Its me buying a song on my phone during my workout. Than browsing for similar artist to form a playlist on my tablet. Than later having that playlist play from my home system at a party.

Its about how all my info and services I use work seemlessly through all that I use.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »

But its more than that. Its how the hardware and software works in tandem in various ecosystems. Its me buying a song on my phone during my workout. Than browsing for similar artist to form a playlist on my tablet. Than later having that playlist play from my home system at a party.

Its about how all my info and services I use work seemlessly through all that I use.

You do realise that was a reference right? Any time someone asks a hypothetical question, I can't help but think of that scene from 'This is Spinal Tap'.

Gouge away.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
Haven't seen spinal tap. Its the mockumentary about the 80s hair band right.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »
It's THE mockumentary. I believe it originated the genre.

Offline MukiDA

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »

For the people posting to this forum, not hard.

For anyone out there who's not even remotely technical (the grand majority of people using the television), it's surprisingly hard. I could go into how badly input switching is implemented on most televisions, but that's a usability discussion we don't really need to go into. At the end of the day it comes down to the same kinds of reasons everyone used to have 12:00 blinking on their VCRs.

But it's less about whether people are capable and more about whether people will. If you picked up an RPG on your PS3, how likely are you gonna be to miss game requests, news, and friend updates on your Xbox for the next 40-60 hours of play?

The magic of the Wii is that it stands to get your attention for all those things even if it's not on the TV.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »
Haven't seen spinal tap. Its the mockumentary about the 80s hair band right.

Yeah. It's hilarious. Screw your blissful vision of technological synergy, grab a bottle of whiskey and a VHS cassette of 'This is Spinal Tap' and laugh your ass off  ;) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6fwfBKCIQ

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:07:27 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
Agree, but Nintendo really needs to look into having Netflix, Hulu, DLNA Compliance, shoot even Blu-Ray or Cable box integration in a such a way they become the prefered device for those services.  The more someone is using you product the more its on there mind.  Can convert something from getting forgotten and dusty to being used for occasional gaming.

Nintendo already did much of that with the Wii. The Wii has Netflix and now Hulu Plus, and I remember a time when the Wii was the most popular Netflix device.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »

Nintendo already did much of that with the Wii. The Wii has Netflix and now Hulu Plus, and I remember a time when the Wii was the most popular Netflix device.
They do, but for me I rather watch it on my PC then on my Wii.  Note that I normally consume all that content on my PS3.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
It's THE mockumentary. I believe it originated the genre.

The Rutles' mockumentary, All You Need is Cash, predates it, but This is Spinal Tap certainly was the major breakthrough that popularized the genre.  Be sure to watch both, btw.  Neil Innes is a master music writer, whether it be in the Bonzo Dog Band or in The Rutles.  Spianl Tap fans should also seek a copy of Return of Spinal Tap, a live concert film with a cameo by The Folksmen who are listed as the opening act but miss the performance.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
I remember a time when the Wii was the most popular Netflix device.

There's a free publication that my local record shop, Burger Records, carries called Pork!.  In their first issue, they talked about how awesome it was surfing through random Netflix categories on the Wii.  Thanks for reminding me of that.