Author Topic: Fire Emblem Awakening  (Read 14601 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Awakening
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »

the excitement of losing characters only takes you so far... after a while it becomes "oh @#$% i have to start over again and the boss is one hit from death..."

I started the game on Hard Casual mode and 2 hours in, I got the the Paralogue chapter where you have to keep the shepherd alive/level him up for him to join.

I attempted 3 times and then deleted my save and started over in Normal Casual mode.

In both those cases though, did you guys have to restart or did you choose to?

you don't have to restart but if you want to take my save file of having to beat the king in chapter 14 of Sacred Stones with only Ephirim, Duessel, and Seth because I 'didn't have to start over' then be my guest

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
i made a new save file for hard/casual... it has made me see how my playstyle has changed since sacred stones, it has made the game more like a modified version of chess, you have two kings  and some other guys, you need to defend the two kings from death while keeping them leveled up and able to stand their own... on hard failure is a huge risk even on casual...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
Now I don't know which to choose. I guess I'll give classic a chance, and if it doesn't work out then I can start again in casual mode.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
anyways, I am now making an all out attempt to break the game on a new file, kjelle on my old file impressed me but i couldn't do much with her, now she has inherited counter, is poised to get galeforce, and is just going to break the game

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
Has anyone bought any of the maps (in-game)?  Are they worth it?

I just unlocked them and quickly browsed through them and I can see it all adding up real quick.

I've bought a couple of the packs; in all honesty, I've enjoyed them because I love this game, although they are quite repetitive, since you basically play the same map two or three times.  In some cases, bringing specific units to the mission can trigger unique conversations.  I guess it depends on how much you care about that kind of thing.  I've mostly used them to experience grind the characters that I haven't used as much in the main game.

I did recently play the Smash Brethren pack, and the reward for the second mission in that pack gives you an item that makes the "Bride" class available to you for use, though  I haven't used it yet.  Apparently the second mission of Lost Bloodlines allows you access to the "Dread Fighter" class, but I haven't gotten around to that one yet.

There are a couple of DLC packs that it would be good to acquire in the future, I think.  The "Future of Despair" maps are supposed to be pretty good (from what I've heard), but they haven't been released yet.  There's also supposed to be a group of packs coming that are focused on developing conversations between your characters e.g. the first chapter is called "Harvest of Bonds"
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
I might pick up some of the maps if they have interesting scenarios. I really don't feel like I need more character interaction or dialogue, as for me that's the weakest part of the gamer.

On that note, I've just found out about the 'Barracks' option. What the hell were they thinking? Those scenes are painfully bad. They also serve little purpose beyond grinding out a little XP or uncovering a few weapons. Has anyone actually listen to all of them? lol.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:02:59 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
It's also meant to fuel the Awakening Bot.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »
I just lost my first character (Cordelia) only to see them miraculously pop again during a dialogue scene, lol. I'm playing on classic, so I thought I'd lost them for good. I guess she was a character with some amount of story significant, but not enough significance that the game would give me a game over screen for losing her.

It was relieving to see her again, but I can't help but feel robbed of the experience of my first character death.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:25:21 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline jaytalks

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »
I just lost my first character (Cordelia) only to see them miraculously pop again during a dialogue scene, lol. I'm playing on classic, so I thought I'd lost them for good. I guess she was a character with some amount of story significant, but not enough significance that the game would give me a game over screen for losing her.

It was relieving to see her again, but I can't help but feel robbed of the experience of my first character death.

The only characters whose death result in a game over are lords like Chrom and your avatar. I think everyone else dies they technically stay alive but never reenter the battlefield. Although someone like Donnel probably could die and never get another line of dialogue.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
I think everyone else dies they technically stay alive but never reenter the battlefield.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. When my characters go out in a blaze of glory I want them to actually die, not stick around spouting terrible lines of dialogue. How can I properly mourn them if they won't STFU? lol
Gouge away.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:16 AM »
This Dialogue.

"He gives the orders. I stab people. It is clear".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
I think everyone else dies they technically stay alive but never reenter the battlefield. Although someone like Donnel probably could die and never get another line of dialogue.

So does that mean that if you happen to get that character married before they die that the associated child paralogue will still appear?  I played my game on casual just to make sure that I could experience all of the missions in one go.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:58:43 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
I seem to have a problem keeping newbies in my squad.

I lost Cordelia the Pegasus Knight in the same chapter in which she showed up; and I've now just lost Tharja one turn after recruiting her. It was really funny, because I literally just spoke with her once on the battlefield, she agreed to join my cause, and on the next turn an archer (who she had been fighting alongside up until I recruited her) hit her with a critical and she died. The funniest part was that when she died she said 'I'm sorry Emmeryn'. SHE NEVER EVEN GOT THE CHANCE TO BLOODY MEET EMMERYN!

lol.

This game is awesome!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:50:49 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
I seem to have a problem keeping newbies to my squad.

I lost Cordelia the Pegasus Knight in the same chapter in which she showed up; and I've now just lost Tharja one turn after recruiting her. It was really funny, because I literally just spoke with her once on the battlefield, she agreed to join my cause, and on the next turn an archer (who she had been fighting alongside up until I recruited her) hit her with a critical and she died. The funniest part was that when she died she said 'I'm sorry Emmeryn'. SHE NEVER EVEN GOT  THE CHANCE TO BLOODY MEET EMMERYN!

lol.

This game is awesome!
technically you lost four units... think of the children...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
Congratulations, Fire Emblem. You have so much reach in my area that I've had to declare bankruptcy and delete the Streetpasses I've picked up.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »

Hey man, don't tar me with your pro-life Christian views! I'm pro-choice.  :P: :
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »

Hey man, don't tar me with your pro-life Christian views! I'm pro-choice. : :
but you have lost two of the children units here, neither of them are spectacular or anything but in classic mode, that is a big thing...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
but you have lost two of the children units here, neither of them are spectacular or anything but in classic mode, that is a big thing...

Well, for my first play through I'm playing Classic Normal. I think I might do Classic Hard after that. I'm also only allowing myself to L/R/Start when I lose a character within the first 3 moves. On Normal so far I'm really not feeling the pressure. We'll see if that's the case towards the end.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »

Well, for my first play through I'm playing Classic Normal. I think I might do Classic Hard after that. I'm also only allowing myself to L/R/Start when I lose a character within the first 3 moves. On Normal so far I'm really not feeling the pressure. We'll see if that's the case towards the end.
normal is pretty easy in general...
hard well... i have gotten game overs on casual mode, the AI seems to have gotten brutal and i think playing on classic would make me want to kill a puppy...

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
so how is the DLC... i want to know which ones are worth getting
I think the golden pack, smash brethren, and bloodlines pack sound good...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
Just for giggles, sometimes I check the boards at GameFAQs and it's funny seeing some people there flip out over over Nintendo covering up Tharja's butt in the Summer Scramble DLC (she is wearing a bikini bottom in the Japanese version with a TINY amount of butt cleavage, but in the English versions they put up a curtain over her butt) and doing stuff like say they refuse to buy any more Nintendo games and it's "outrageous" they are censoring the game.

Meh, eventually I will get the game when I have the money. There are too many other 3DS games I want first though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 05:52:35 AM »
Yesterday I had to use tonics for the first time to overcome a chapter. The level itself was actually kind of awesome. It was a battle set on the side of a Volcano, in which the ground slowly breaks up beneath you. I think I made it more difficult for myself, however, because I was determined to get Say'ri close enough to speak with her brother (who was the opposing commander) as I thought I might be able to convince him to join the Shepherds. That wasn't the case, so I had her strike down her own brother, which was really messed up. I felt so guilty afterwards, lol.

I'm loving this game so far, but I do wish there were more chapters like that one. Chapters in which the environment changed or in which you have goals other than killing all opposing forces. I remember being really excited to play the chapter that was set on a series of boats, because in the cutscene before that the characters were talking about how they were going to tactically burn their ships and ram them into the enemies'. I thought that meant I was going to have to bring my best Fire Mages and use them to burn the masts of ships that my remaining Shepherds were clear of. As it turns out, my only goal was to kill everyone and the strategy of burning the ships was simply shown in a post-chapter cutscene. It was a little underwhelming.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:04:40 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
So, yesterday I finally beat Fire Emblem: Awakening (for those that are interested, I played it on Classic/Normal and according to the activity log it took me 70 hours and 23 mins) . While on the whole Awakening was very enjoyable, I walk away from the game with some mixed feelings.

First, the good.

Visually this is by far the best looking Fire Emblem that Intelligent Systems has ever made (you know, besides the whole lack of feet thing). When playing Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, the only Emblem games I had played before this one, I got bored of watching the animations after a few hours and turned them off. In Awakening, however, I always got a kick out of watching the battle animations (albiet with the fast forward button firmly held down) and therefore never felt the need to switch them off. Watching Gaius do his stylised 'lethality' attacks, or seeing Virion jump in to the air and let fly an arrow, the animations were just so cool that I didn't mind watching them play out, epecially when characters were paired up appropriately, leading to long strings of attacks.

On the gameplay front, Awakening is just as good as the previous entries that I have played. It's supremely satisfying to level up your characters, equip them with increasingly powerful equipment, and nuture them towards a specific class. This has always been the primary draw for me as far as Fire Emblem is concerned, but the addition of a more complex 'partner' system is where the game really stands out for me. Putting the aggresive tomboy Sully together with the effeminately posh Virion, or making a relationship blossom between farmhand Donnel and exotic dancer Olivia can be a bunch of fun, but it also adds another layer of strategy. Sure, it might be funny to throw two characters together, but will it work on the battlefield?

Also, I might be crazy, but I didn't think the story was altogether terrible. I mean, sure, the whole end of the world story is pretty rote at this point, but I do think that Awakening had some genuinely interesting twists. I enjoyed the Terminator inspired time travel twist, and I was always jazzed whenever another pairing I had forced together resulted in another maladjusted offspring being catapulted back in time. I also thought the Walhart storyline was interesting as it showed another leader and another army also trying to prevent the resurrection of Grima and the destruction of the world, but their methods are diametrically opposed to those of the player. As far as Fire Emblem storylines go, it wasn't half bad.

Now, however, we do move on to the bad. Well, not necessarilly the bad, but rather the dissappointing.

For as much improvement as Awakening brought to certain areas of the series, I feel it fell short in others. My biggest dissappointment is that every chapter amounted to essentially the same thing. Kill everyone. Even when the game explicitly raises the possibility of alternative options or hints at strategies that might be employed on the battlefield, the game fails to offer any options. There is only one option or strategy in Fire Emblem. Kill everyone.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there are specific chapters which seem to be setting up something interesting but then refuse to actually break from the mould. If you read my above post you'll get a better idea of what I mean, but utlimately it comes down to this; After a couple of hours of playing Awakening I had seen pretty much everything that it had to offer in terms of strategy. It certainly got more difficult as the compaign progressed, but I was never really tasked with coming up with a unique strategy or a cunning plan to take the advantage. It was always the same thing; use lances on swords, swords on axes, axes on lances, and keep Sumia the f*** away from archers. It never really felt...well, very strategic.

As I say, overall though I think Awakening is a really good game and it is probably the best Fire Emblem that I have played. I just wish Intelligent System had been more adventurous with the maps, the missions and strategies.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:38:19 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.