Author Topic: LCD screen  (Read 3128 times)

Offline dmbfan755

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
LCD screen
« on: April 21, 2003, 03:10:54 PM »
I know I've been posting alot lately, but I'm new at this. Anyway, what do you think about the screens that attach to the GC? Are they to small to see what your doing or are they OK? I want to know because i travel alot and we dont have a TV in our car. If I get one, what kind should I get? I know interact makes them, and they sell for like 100$, and Intac or something makes them for 70$. any other third party brands w/ screens?
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 03:52:37 PM »
It's actually funny that you mention that.  From what I've heard (a couple of my friends have the Interact one), it's not that high quality.  However, Nintendo showed off a first party screen, hopefully to launch when they finally announce a LAN plan for GCN.  If it's not a necessity for you, I would wait until E3 to see what Nintendo plans to do with that one.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline TOY

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 04:23:04 PM »
Interact was the first to release a screen, and it got pretty good reviews, and as kennyb27 mentioned, Nintendo did show one last year at E3, and from what PGC said it looked incredible. Problem is, you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than seeing Nintendo release theirs. Now on to your third option, the Intec model. From the review I read on PGC the Intec was much better than the Interact. Cant remember any specifics but maybe you can find the review on PGC, or maybe you can ask Bloodworth.

TOY

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 05:05:44 PM »
I've seen a few more models, like Mad Catz and Joy tech. Are these any good? PS thanx for the help so far!
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 06:55:41 PM »
They all use the (analogue) interlaced signal, which looks crappy on an LCD. Of course I'm a little picky about video technology, and it may be just fine for most people, but I've heard it can make text a little difficult to read. The screen Nintendo showed was using the digital out port, and even used a progressive signal.. yummy (looks bad in SFA though). If you just want some thing to have on the go, one of those third-party screens would be kinda cool, but I personally don't think they're worth the asking price.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 07:11:21 PM »
I hope Nintendo does release the LCD screen.
Release a very good LAN game and use the game to sell LCD screens!

Offline RuHatingAgain

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 02:33:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Sir Kero
They all use the (analogue) interlaced signal, which looks crappy on an LCD. Of course I'm a little picky about video technology, and it may be just fine for most people, but I've heard it can make text a little difficult to read. The screen Nintendo showed was using the digital out port, and even used a progressive signal.. yummy (looks bad in SFA though). If you just want some thing to have on the go, one of those third-party screens would be kinda cool, but I personally don't think they're worth the asking price.

Yo wazzup My name is Than and I am taken by the most beautiful woman in the world.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: LCD screen
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 01:30:52 PM »
Well Nintendo actually remembered (I think NOA probably remembered for them) the SD Card Adaptor...so they might just remember this LCD Screen. They are probably actually just perfecting battery life. You know R&D2 and R&D3 would just throw a hissy fit if they couldn't sqeeze like 200 hours out of it Well...at least 10 should be good enough for them.

Offline razorpit

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 12:32:55 PM »
Did Nintendo mention anything about an LCD screen at this years E3?  Maybe I was sleeping the whole week but I didn't hear them mention anything really about any of their new hardware, SD card, GameBoy Player, etc.  I know we all "know" about the above mentioned items but you would think they would have made a little more noise to the rest of the world at E3.

--Dave
MK
Razor

AC
Code: 4896-9148-8292
Name: Oscar
Town: Burgh

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 09:43:12 PM »
I got a good deal/steal on an Interact Mobile Monitor for PSone last weekend.  My EB Games had a "50% off items ending in .87" bin, so I quickly snagged the screen which rang up for just under $35 after tax.  It has composite inputs for other video items.  I haven't tried those out, but I don't think they'd turn out so good compared to the direct digital signal from the PSone itself.  BTW, it was the improved 2nd or 3rd generation rectangle model.

So if you can find yourself such a deal at your EB and have a decent way to mount it and plug everything in (the screen came with a lighter power plug; I don't think they make lighter adapters for the Cube, so you'll need a DC inverter), go for it.

In more Gamecube-related matters, there was an Interact 16x card for $14.87.  You do the math.  Yes, cheaper than an MC59.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 07:43:18 AM »
My review for the Intec Game Screen:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=3803

If you're in the market for an LCD screen, i highly recommend buying this model.

i haven't heard anything about Nintendo's screen since last year's E3. Truly a disappointment, although if you're looking for a larger, high-quality screen screen, Elite Peripherals has one that looks like it'll do the trick:

http://www.elite-interactive.com/productcategory.aspx?categoryid=gamecube
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 07:55:34 PM »
The batteries run out in about 10 minutes.
That's all you really need to know.

Yes, I'm exxagerating, but I personally wouldn't tolerate such short battery lifespans.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 08:00:45 PM »
Gear IGN has an update on the Joytech screens:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/403/403522p1.html

So far the Joytech is the only screen available that connects to the digital video port on the Cube, which provides a much cleaner signal than the standard AV port. i'm curious as to the price on the larger LCD screen and just what it offers -- Elite Peripherals's 13 inch screen (linked in my above post) sounds like a great deal at $350.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline ZombieX

• View Profile
LCD screen
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2003, 12:26:50 PM »
Here is IGN's old review of Interacts Mobile Monitor.  Their review has a movie where you can see the monitor in action.  I thought it looked great.  Since everyone says the Intec Game Screen is even better than Interact's screen, I think I'm going to pick up an Intec when the LAN games hit the GC.  

I think these LCD screens are a very cheap and easy solution for those wanting to have some great LAN gaming fun withouht having the big expense of mulitple televisions.
***The Nintendo Difference***