Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 8598 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Space
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 01:39:09 PM »
This game sounds interesting, but there's no demo. The relatively small amount of demos is one of the minor annoyances I have with my otherwise good recent 360 purchase.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »
This game sounds interesting, but there's no demo. The relatively small amount of demos is one of the minor annoyances I have with my otherwise good recent 360 purchase.

In comparison to what, PC gaming? The demo selection on the PSN is pathetic, and the Wii is non-existant. I have many hours spent playing demos on my 360. I just don't think its an 'annoyance'. It is an annoyance that some demos are not available at or before the launch of a particular game, Dead Space being one of those...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:57:50 PM by bustin98 »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »
Tycho drew a comparison of Dead Space to Metroid, and while I didn't think it before I read it, I can't help but agree.

This isn't near as frantic as RE4 or a traditional shooter.  There are frantic moments, but a lot of it is environment.

Combine that with the fact that you are in a location trying to decipher what exactly happened without truly interacting with anyone, and it really starts to sound like Metroid.

I definitely think Metroid fans should check the game out.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »
OK, now THAT comparison has me intrigued.  I checked out some footage of it, and it did remind me quite a bit of Metroid Prime, but not as action-oriented.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »

In comparison to what, PC gaming? The demo selection on the PSN is pathetic, and the Wii is non-existant. I have many hours spent playing demos on my 360. I just don't think its an 'annoyance'. It is an annoyance that some demos are not available at or before the launch of a particular game, Deap Space being one of those...

In comparison to how many games there are for the platform. Really it just is this situation, where I wanted a specific game and it wasn't there. It's nowhere near the annoyance as, say, the ridiculously stupid Microsoft Points system that I hate with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »
Whats your general mood when playing the game?  Creeped out?  Intrigued?  Sick to your stomach?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 01:23:12 AM »
This is one of the games I want to love, but I know I wouldn't because I can't play scary games.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 02:00:24 AM »
I really want to pick the game up but I'll have to put off Gears or Resistance, not to mention Guitar Hero World Tour.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
I'd wait until it drops in price.  Resistance, Gears, and GHWT are games that are worthy of your full attention!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »
I was just plain sick to my stomach in the beginning.. but I've gotten used to that part.  Now I'm just constantly worried about being made to jump.

There are two things that happen that make me jump EVERY time...

Either a ventilation cover makes a loud noise breaking off as a monster breaks through...

Or I come around a corner in a dead silent vacuum only to see a monster that immediately (at still totally silently) jumps on my face.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
I'd wait until it drops in price.GHWT are games that are worthy of your full attention!

Corrected for accuracy. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 06:18:08 PM »
I was just plain sick to my stomach in the beginning.. but I've gotten used to that part. 

What in particular made you feel this way?  The looks of the dead bodies, or the controls?

The developers said in an interview the other day they actually studied corpses to really get the looks right.  Man, can't imagine staying late at the office, alone, to do that......

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »
The corpses mostly... what they were willing to do to dead babies is just, kind of, gross.
---------------------

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2008, 06:55:53 PM »
Tycho drew a comparison of Dead Space to Metroid, and while I didn't think it before I read it, I can't help but agree.

This isn't near as frantic as RE4 or a traditional shooter.  There are frantic moments, but a lot of it is environment.

Combine that with the fact that you are in a location trying to decipher what exactly happened without truly interacting with anyone, and it really starts to sound like Metroid.

I definitely think Metroid fans should check the game out.

Put that way, it sounds a lot more like System Shock to me.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »
The corpses mostly... what they were willing to do to dead babies is just, kind of, gross.

Wow.  Sounds like I'd get creeped out as well.  I'll have to remember to drink a couple beers first before I try this one....

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »
This game is great in the sense that it is creepy, haunting, startles me from time to time with its eerie environmental sounds. I'm having a blast.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »
I don't know why I wasn't thinking about renting. So I did. And its a cool game. Playing both easy and hard. Easy, just two or three shots take out an enemy, while on hard you have to shoot off the limbs before they die.

Lining up the slow-mo can be a bit picky, too.

I was really impressed with the opening shot of exiting hyperspace (or whatever they call it here). Very nice lighting. The first time I watched it though the woman's hair had a strange glitch and jutted off her head at an odd angle. It calmed down after she started walking so it wasn't like that glitch with Okami.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:18:12 PM by Mr. Jack »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »
The lighting in the game is amazing.  Just wait until the very beginning of Chapter 4.  I was blown away.
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »
I have been reading that the PC version controls horribly, I really hope this is NOT true because it is inexcusable. The PC version better not be gimped!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 02:10:15 PM »
For anyone that doesn't know, the Demo is up on the PSN now.  I thought it was creepy as hell!  A lot of reviewers said it wasn't scary enough but I'd guess thats due to them playing it in their cubicle during normal office hours as opposed to alone in your apartment with the lights out.