Author Topic: DivX?  (Read 13458 times)

Offline Griffin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
DivX?
« on: February 22, 2003, 01:30:48 PM »
I was wondering, what ever happened with this DivX thing for GC video compression? Are there any games out or planned that are gonna use this? Has it even been really confirmed?
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 02:26:57 PM »
It just looks like the developers are lazy to do it, or their just not used to it and prbably playing arround with the tools Divx also is a nice subsititute for DVD quality.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline CitizenKaine

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 02:51:18 PM »
I imagine noone has yet made a game where they could justify the cost of licensing the divx stuff as opposed to just using in house stuff.

Kaine

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 03:08:14 PM »
I doubt they've had enough time to develop a game with it yet.  It is a recent addition, isn't it?  Games often take a while to make. . .
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline dilbert627

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 04:21:08 PM »
I read somewhere that Enter the Matrix will use it.

DivX?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 05:19:35 PM »
Hopefully, Metroid Prime 2 will make use of it.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
DivX?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 08:44:37 PM »
And more than likely any Nintendo made game that has FMVs will use it. (Maybe Too Human....)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 09:41:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I doubt they've had enough time to develop a game with it yet.  It is a recent addition, isn't it?  Games often take a while to make. . .

Give me a couple of hours (maybe overnight), and I can turn all the FMV in Final Fantasy VII PC into Divx, and given the source code for the game, I could port it to DivX in about another hour.  It's not really as big a deal as you make out.

The problem is that I am sure that Factor 5 wants some money for their DivX kit, and developers probably are too cheap to pay it, or really don't care if their FMV is butchered all to hell.  Personally it doesn't bother me much though.  The only game I have played that really has FMV THAT low in quality is Eternal Darkness.  *sob*
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 09:45:54 PM »
Eternal's Darkness' FMV is leaps and bounds above what FMV you'll find spewing from EA's GameCube games.
NightFire's FMV sequences reminded me of the Saturns early attempts at FMV ;_;

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 12:07:54 AM »
Well, I haven't gotten around to playing Nightfire.  I did play a lot of SSX Tricky though, and other than the absence of a few movies from the PS2 version (that I probably wouldn't have watched anyway), I really didn't have any complaints.    

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 12:38:46 AM »
I thought Factor 5, the ones that developed DivX for GCN, were the first ones who are going to use it?!  
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline snorgasmo

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2003, 01:27:24 AM »
yah, apparently factor5 have this huge game in the works that uses divx technology for more than just FMVs... i'm quite excited to see what this game turns out to be...

and yeah i heard about enter the matrix using divx as well.. the game apparently has loads of cinematics, so it makes sense.
-- COMMODE7 - we write about videogames.. or something...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 04:45:03 AM »
How can you use DivX Technology for something other than videoes? All DivX is a form of video compression.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 07:59:36 AM »
Right, so you could use it on anything video, for example RE backgrounds.  Or maybe something like motion billboards in some games.

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2003, 08:31:42 AM »
Divx only makes sense for moving images. With RE backgrounds, they'd be better of with jpeg or something. It also doesn't make sense to compress the video in to divx, only to have to decompress it (read: doesn't make sense for real time generated stuff). So, it is only useful for FMV of some form (IIRC, it doesn't have to be full screen, so they can put a Divx movie in to a dynamic background). What it would be extremely useful for, is compacting down the "game + movie" type games where they would normally need more than one God (haven't called them Gamecube optical discs for a while ) for the game. This makes games like the FF series more workable.

So, if there is any kind of static movie in the game (whether full screen, a non-interactive background [ala 2-D fighter], or a video screen in game), Divx should prove useful. Especially since it means that the Cube will need to pull less data from the God, saving bandwidth, though the tradeoff is that more computing power will be needed. Can't wait to see what Factor 5 does with it.

BlackGriffen

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2003, 08:55:20 AM »
games are devloped in cycles....no game has been able to fit experimentation with the codec into a cycle. RE came too soon. The codecs use on gamecube is new, but im sure withn the next year it will be standard. Silicon Knights will jump on the codec and Factor 5 has a big game coming.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2003, 09:29:28 AM »
I remember Nintendo saying that we wouldn't be seeing anything using this DIVX stuff for a year or so, but I don't think the cost of using it could be that much. In fact, isn't the codec free?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2003, 11:11:09 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackGriffen
Divx only makes sense for moving images. With RE backgrounds, they'd be better of with jpeg or something.

Actually, much of the Resident Evil backdrops are combinations of FMV and realtime graphics.  Play the game sometime, and check it out.  The backgrounds are rarely still.

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2003, 11:51:48 AM »
Games like Final Fantasy X games will probably make use of this DivX technology. If they didn't then it would take like 4 game disks to port a game like FFX to the GC.   8.5 MB afterall.
what

Offline DivXGamingGrl

• VIP
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2003, 08:34:33 AM »
To clairfy - DivX does have an SDK for GCN, Xbox and of course, PC games. The games that currently use DivX for PC are Warcraft III, Homeworld2, Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown and Enter the Matrix. On the GCN side of things, there is a future THQ title and Enter the Matrix. Since we've just released the Xbox SDK, the only game currently using DivX is Enter the Matrix. Of course, Factor5 will use DivX in their games as well, since the co-developed the SDK. Hope this helps!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2003, 09:59:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation

Give me a couple of hours (maybe overnight), and I can turn all the FMV in Final Fantasy VII PC into Divx, and given the source code for the game, I could port it to DivX in about another hour.  It's not really as big a deal as you make out.

The problem is that I am sure that Factor 5 wants some money for their DivX kit, and developers probably are too cheap to pay it, or really don't care if their FMV is butchered all to hell.  Personally it doesn't bother me much though.  The only game I have played that really has FMV THAT low in quality is Eternal Darkness.  *sob*

I just saw this post was bumped, and read the full thing again. No offense, but what you said makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You can't port a game to DivX. Making a DivX video is quite simple, almost anyone with a PC can do it...but that porting a game to DivX really bugs me, and even given the source code to the game, it would take months to port it to anything, especially something non-existent like the "DivX video game system"...ok bye.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Berbs42

• View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2003, 10:30:16 AM »
Thanks for the info Gaming Girl!!

Much appreciated!

- Berbs

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
DivX?
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2003, 11:25:49 AM »
DivXGamingGrl sounds "viewtiful."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
RE: DivX?
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2003, 11:51:44 AM »
Ineresting that DiVXNetworks has an SDK for Xbox as well. i hadn't thought about it, but DiVX video is comparable to MPEG2 visually, although filesizes are usually much smaller. i'm kinda surprised there's no SDK for PS2 though.

For those curious, the video in Enter the Matrix is easily some of the best video on the Cube, if not the best. Pity more developers don't take advantage of it.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
RE: DivX?
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2003, 01:20:54 PM »
There wasn't yet time for more developers to take advantage of it.  That is changing very quickly, as Enter The Matrix showed.  How much do you want to bet that the THQ games coming up featuring DivX will be their WWE titles, known for their large amounts of video?

By the way, guys.  Stop hitting on the VIP.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153