Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Nintendo 3DS  (Read 42646 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Announces Nintendo 3DS
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »
There are quite a few devs out there with dev kits who say similar to GC in power and easy to program for (check the rumor thread) if you want to believe the 2nd hand info from GDC that is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:32:58 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
what what WHAT

They took the GameCube and compressed it between 2 graham crackers?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »
Gaming S'mores all around!

I'm rather excited for this. And I'm still considering getting it at launch in spite of having a brand new DSi.

It will be interesting to see how they handle DSi Shop compatibility/transfers. It may show what they will do with the new Wii and WiiWare/VC transferring. (And they had better be something).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »
It just hit me.

3DS' launch will be flooded with crappy GameCube ports.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
Luigi's Mansion port as launch title?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
Yes, ripping people off for another generation.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:53 PM »
Yes, ripping people off for another generation.
in 3D

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
Scoundrel, you!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »
LOL at Ian thinking multi-touch means using a knife and fork. Never used chopsticks before?

Oh God, fucking chopsticks.  I've had co-workers make fun of me for not knowing how to use them.  I'm of the idea that I already know how to eat food with a knife and fork so why should I bother to learn a new way to eat food when the only benefit it provides is that white-guys-who-wish-they-were-Asian will think I'm cool.

I like the mock-up, Perm.  Though it is so conventional I wonder if Nintendo's real design will be nothing like it.  It'll either be something like that or something none of us could guess.

And I own a DSPhat.  I only have a problem with miniscule updates like the DSi where I'm clearly missing out on features that the DS doesn't have but the system isn't a full upgrade either.  The DSLite is nicer than the old DS but it isn't like there are DSLite exclusive games or anything like that.  So I never felt I was missing out.  The GBA SP pissed me off though since the non-backlit version was clearly flawed.  They should have had a light to begin with.  I don't know how Nintendo thought having a screen no one could see was a good idea.

I really see a videogame system as merely a way to have access to a specific videogame format.  Variations are not that big of a deal provided they don't interfere with this.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »
The DSlite is so much better then the Phat it isn't even funny.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »
LOL at Ian thinking multi-touch means using a knife and fork. Never used chopsticks before?

Oh God, fucking chopsticks.  I've had co-workers make fun of me for not knowing how to use them.  I'm of the idea that I already know how to eat food with a knife and fork so why should I bother to learn a new way to eat food when the only benefit it provides is that white-guys-who-wish-they-were-Asian will think I'm cool.

Actually, chopsticks are a much more sanitary way of eating. Have you ever eaten by hand? You never put your fingers in your mouth, right? It's the same with chopsticks. They are an extension of your fingers. You also usually throw them away (unless you have the permanent kind).

While I do prefer a knife and fork for things I need to cut up, I almost always prefer chopsticks for dishes served over rice.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
I have yet to see multi-touch used in a compelling way that truly improves the experience of a game or application. It seems more like a bullet point feature than a truly useful technology. If Nintendo has ideas on how to use it better, they may include it. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be worth the additional cost.

It's the kind of thing Nintendo would definitely leave out.  If you were going to use it, you have to reach both thumbs past the normal DS controls.  Additionally, it is possible to simulate basic dual touch using the DS screen.  If you touch a bunch of points, the hardware reports the average.

Quote from: insanolord link=topic=30918.msg595530#msg595530   date=1269394399
Nintendo announced the original DS about this time   of year instead of waiting for E3 as well.

It could be that they just like to announce new hardware a year before it's release to give it some time to percolate in peoples' minds (and time to set aside some cash).

Quote from: NinGurl69 *huggles link=topic=30918.msg595722#msg595722   date=1269446402
It just hit me.

3DS' launch will be flooded   with crappy GameCube ports.

3D PORTABLE METROID PRIME  :Q :Q :Q :Q :Q

I'm not convinced it will really be as powerful as a GameCube though.  I would happily buy my third copy of the game.

Quote from: BlackNMild2k1 link=topic=30918.msg595650#msg595650   date=1269410460
but according to reports around the net, it looks   like Nintendo is paired up with Sharp and are using Parallax Barrier Method   for the screen which does good 3D and can be turned off to handle 2D   just like a normal screen.

Yes, that is the tech I expect it to use as well.  That's what I was describing in the thread earlier, and that tech will not allow for flipping the DS on it's side except in 2D mode (the parallax barrier will only work left to right to save money).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:01:23 PM by Rize »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
Portable MP, now there's an idea. Imagine making the hand gesture to change beams.. :drool:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
I don't see why it is a stretch that it would be as powerful as GC, the PSP is about as powerful as the PS2 and has been out for several years now.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
oh yeah, Ian i did make it really conventional, i figured as a hand held it would have to be something you could slide in and out of your pocket, when i started working on it I had more of an xbox 360 controller design, but i figured...flatter.

and chopsticks...there are some things you can do with chopsticks that you can't do with a fork and knife.

as far as power goes I believe it will be better than the PSP, but not by a super lot. The deal with making cheap and affordable handhelds is that they have to have the most power for a certain sweetspot pricepoint. The Ngage could never do as well as the gameboy advance, and the psp had a similar problem. Gamecube was released in 2001, i'm pretty sure in 2010 that sort of power is available in a handheld for a low price.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:20:04 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
Having played some PSP games recently, I don't think it's really as powerful as a PS2 at all.  It might be better equipped in one or two ways (the PS2 had an unusual architecture and I think the PSP is a bit more standard), but the game's don't like quite as good as PS2 games.

The 3DS will probably be close to a GameCube, but I think the texture memory, polygon count and CPU will be watered down a bit.  They're going to want to be able to say that it is definitively stronger than the PSP if asked (though they will probably define its power in terms of the DS or GameCube), and they'll want it close enough to the Cube to make the porting process reasonably cost-effective, but they will cut hardware costs anywhere they can so as not to scare away consumers.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
and chopsticks...there are some things you can do with chopsticks that you can't do with a fork and knife.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
also, Cube games on 4 gb carts :P

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »
but according to reports around the net, it looks like Nintendo is paired up with Sharp and are using Parallax Barrier Method for the screen which does good 3D and can be turned off to handle 2D just like a normal screen.

source: Engadget via Asahi Shimbun

edit: This is what Sharp was working on 7.25 years ago
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-978499.html

Nintendo & Sharp have had quite a lot of time to perfect this tech and get it down to a price that Nintendo is willing to work with.

In retrospect, this isn't so surprising. Nintendo's had a long relationship with Sharp haven't they?

The DSlite is so much better then the Phat it isn't even funny.

You take that back!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »

No one has ever even come close to providing me with a decent example of this.  Eating isn't that difficult.  You really just need a way to get the food into your mouth.  But I know you can't cut anything with chopsticks.  The best argument anyone has given me is that you can eat certain Asian foods really fast IF you know what you're doing.  But unless I'm in an eating contest why would I care?  I've never ran into a "oh ****" moment when using a knife-fork-spoon combo but the second a t-bone steak comes out and you've got only chopsticks it's an "oh ****" moment.

Cube games on 4 gb carts

Yeah, this sounds like a deterent for ports. :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2010, 05:16:35 PM »
but according to reports around the net, it looks like Nintendo is paired up with Sharp and are using Parallax Barrier Method for the screen which does good 3D and can be turned off to handle 2D just like a normal screen.

source: Engadget via Asahi Shimbun

edit: This is what Sharp was working on 7.25 years ago
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-978499.html

Nintendo & Sharp have had quite a lot of time to perfect this tech and get it down to a price that Nintendo is willing to work with.

In retrospect, this isn't so surprising. Nintendo's had a long relationship with Sharp haven't they?

I believe that they have been supplying Nintendo with portable screens since the GBA if not earlier. Here is an article from 2004 about the screen Sharp was pushing at the trade shows back then.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
you can cut with chopsticks, Ian fails at chopsticks skills :P

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »

No one has ever even come close to providing me with a decent example of this.  Eating isn't that difficult.  You really just need a way to get the food into your mouth.  But I know you can't cut anything with chopsticks.  The best argument anyone has given me is that you can eat certain Asian foods really fast IF you know what you're doing.  But unless I'm in an eating contest why would I care?  I've never ran into a "oh ****" moment when using a knife-fork-spoon combo but the second a t-bone steak comes out and you've got only chopsticks it's an "oh ****" moment.

Cube games on 4 gb carts

Yeah, this sounds like a deterent for ports. :)

They'll save a lot of space by reducing the quality of audio and textures, using newer compression algorithms than we had 5+ years ago and by having bigger cards.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:39:31 PM by Rize »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »
I'm sure that 3DS carts will start at 1GB(8Gb) since the cart sizes usually always double in size from the previously largest amount.