Author Topic: iPhone gaming- actually viable  (Read 14244 times)

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
iPhone gaming- actually viable
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »
There are some really interesting indie titles on there already. I've been playing this Dizzy Bee game, and I can't put it down. It's extremely charming and fun to play, and fairly challenging as well. trailer

There are a couple others I'm enjoying, such as the oft-mentioned Aurora Feint or space strategy game Galcon (there's a PC demo for that one, if you're curious). I've also heard of a port of a Sega CD RPG called Vay, although the word is mixed on that one. Interesting that it's been done, though.

If you happen to have an iPhone or iPod touch or are thinking about getting one, check out this site Touch Arcade, they've got some good reviews. Speaking of which, that Toy Bot Diaries looks cool too, I need to check that out...

Am I the only one playing games on this platform thus far? Anyone else tried some?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone gaming- actually viable
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
The viability of the iPhone is limited by its market. It's an expensive device so the userbase is smaller and it isn't sold as a games device (or to markets that value gaming much) so the number of users with much interest in gaming is even smaller.

Offline Smakian

• View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
Agreed, I'm just saying that some of the games are actually quite good, it's not all crappy mobileware.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:07:01 PM »
Am I a jerk for intentionally not support cellphone games because I don't want them to be successful?  Phones aren't really well suited for playing games.  They have tiny little screens and don't have their controls optimized for gaming.  You have to take a number pad and shoehorn the control scheme into that.  I figure if they become too popular then it may threaten the sales of dedicated portable game systems or possible even videogame consoles period.  With this and MP3 capabilities and video it seems the world wants everything crammed into a tiny device that fits in your pocket.  I don't want that.  I like to watch my movies on a big screen and listen my music on speakers instead of headphones.

But money makes the world go round and if the market leans towards videogames being successful on phones that's what we'll get and I think we'll be worse off for it.  Though a big part of that is because for the most part cellphone games blow.  If they were routinely good then maybe it wouldn't matter.

I'm not at all in support of Nintendo's blue ocean strategy.  Cellphone games is even more casual focused.

It might just be however that someone needs to take the N-Gage concept and do it right.

Though I think that maybe someday we won't have a seperation between portable games and home games.  That the technology will be such that any game can be taken on the go no different then how people used to have discmans and have portable DVD players now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »
Am I a jerk for not supporting mobile telephones at all because they're annoying and turn people into even more obnoxious, and less aware morons than they already are?

Besides, given the price of the iPhone, you could buy a fucking Xbox to play games on isntead.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
Am I a jerk for not supporting mobile telephones at all because they're annoying and turn people into even more obnoxious, and less aware morons than they already are?

I used to be like this.  I was without a cellphone for 23 years until I got into a long distance relationship and the amount of travelling I was suddenly doing made having a cellphone very convenient.  Although my original reason for having a cellphone no longer applies it got its hooks in me and now something I never needed before has became an essential part of my life.  Such is the nature of technology.

I have however resisted getting an iPod for many of the same reasons I didn't want a cellphone.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
I think it'd be easier for a game company to make a gamephone than for a phone company to make a gamephone.  The game company would have the built-in audience.  If Nintendo turned the DS into a phone and partnered with AT&T, I'd buy that phone day one.  That would rule.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »

Besides, given the price of the iPhone, you could buy a ****ing Xbox to play games on instead.

Well, if you are talking about ALL cellphone users then yeah, you are being a jerk.

However, if you are talking about people who are so obsessed over their cellphone they think they are better than everyone else or use cellphones to annoy other people, then the hate is understandable.

Like Ian stated, the cellphone is more of a useful tool than a fad. I honestly would not spend a fortune on a multipurpose cellphone like the iPhone, but having any model is important.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:42 PM »
Mobile telephones are more of a fad today than they ever were. The very fact that every fourteen year old girl just has to have one speaks volumes to that point. It is precisely their wide market penetration that makes them so annoying in the first place, as you can't even turn your head without seeing some jackass on one and usually driving recklessly, talking loudly out in public, or just generally wandering around with no regard as to who or what is around. That kind of mental disconnect is no good regardless of what's causing it, cellphones simply have the added annoyance of piping up with custom ring tones during films and at restaurants.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »
Mobile telephones are more of a fad today than they ever were. The very fact that every fourteen year old girl just has to have one speaks volumes to that point. It is precisely their wide market penetration that makes them so annoying in the first place, as you can't even turn your head without seeing some jackass on one and usually driving recklessly, talking loudly out in public, or just generally wandering around with no regard as to who or what is around. That kind of mental disconnect is no good regardless of what's causing it, cellphones simply have the added annoyance of piping up with custom ring tones during films and at restaurants.

Well, you make some good points. However, I don't like it how you include ALL cellphones users into your hatred. I own a cellphone and I would never use it like that. I actually have respect for people and I would rather ignore a call than to take it while I am driving, as do some of my friends. I don't waste hours talking to people. I use it to let people know where I am, for work and for emergencies. I don't text message because its the same as talking to someone.

S_B's girlfriend has an iPhone, and I hate to see her included in the list of jackasses with mobile phones.

Again, your points are understandable, and if you don't want a cellphone, fine. No one's forcing you to buy one. However, when you generalize the normal cellphone user because of a few you may have encountered that's being a jackass as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:17:04 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 12:38:55 AM »
I think people need to better grasp what the term "fad" means . . .

Furthermore, I think people are underestimating just how well the iPhone's app store is doing, in particular with its game sales.

Super Monkey Ball has already had 300,000 copies downloaded in a month.

This isn't to say the iPhone is going to rival the Nintendo DS or even the PSP but I do think that given the current tend in sales the iPhone app store is only going to keep raking in more and more sales for it's paid for apps, and this includes it's games.

The device is more than capable of producing crisp graphics and the touch controls with accelerometer is something that is right up the alley for those who are getting into gaming with the explosive success of the Wii.

Again, will it be as successful as the DS or PSP? No. Will it show that there is a mass market for downloadable games? Absolutely. The form factor and power is there as is the delivery service and monkey ball and other apps show people are certainly down for buying the games.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:41:01 AM by Mashiro »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 01:26:47 AM »

I used to be like this.  I was without a cellphone for 23 years until I got into a long distance relationship and the amount of travelling I was suddenly doing made having a cellphone very convenient.  Although my original reason for having a cellphone no longer applies it got its hooks in me and now something I never needed before has became an essential part of my life.  Such is the nature of technology.

I have however resisted getting an iPod for many of the same reasons I didn't want a cellphone.

I feel naked without my cell phone......especially since I'm in college.

Still, I do love not having to use my cell phone when I travel outside of the country.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »
What's the battery life when you use it for playing games?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
Well, you make some good points. However, I don't like it how you include ALL cellphones users into your hatred. I own a cellphone and I would never use it like that. I actually have respect for people and I would rather ignore a call than to take it while I am driving, as do some of my friends. I don't waste hours talking to people. I use it to let people know where I am, for work and for emergencies. I don't text message because its the same as talking to someone.

S_B's girlfriend has an iPhone, and I hate to see her included in the list of jackasses with mobile phones.

Again, your points are understandable, and if you don't want a cellphone, fine. No one's forcing you to buy one. However, when you generalize the normal cellphone user because of a few you may have encountered that's being a jackass as well.

I'm aware that there are plenty of people out there they don't act obnoxiously with their telephones, but they (you?) are in the underwhelming minority. I have not merely encountered "a few" jackasses, as it is an ever-widening trend. People have little manners in general nowadays, so it's no surprise that it would spill over into other activities.

I can certainly understand having a mobile telephone for emergencies, and have even toyed with the idea of getting a disposable simply to keep in my car in case of just such an instance. I think many people exaggerate just what an emergency is however, but maybe it's only because I can't justify forgetting to pick up milk at the grocery store as a "must call" situation. As for work purposes, I really pity anyone that needs to be connected 24/7, for work or social reasons. I'm one of those people that doesn't lie or make up excuses when their boss calls and asks them to come in on their day off however. Do I want to come in? No, and don't ever call this early on my scheduled day off again--bye. ;)

I have a hard time not thinking lowly of anyone that would buy an iPhone, as the price and useless features negates any semblance of necessity that mobiles telephones could have (as stated above). Then again, Apple is good at marketing hype and little else... just look at the iPod. If anything, the iPhone's existence goes even farther in proving my point that mobile telephones are more of a fad than anything. At least I only had yuppies to dislike a decade ago--only lawyers and brokers could afford them. :P

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
One thing Morari will probably like is that my cellphone is just the low feature free one that comes with a plan.  I have no intention of ever paying for a physical phone.

Cellphones aren't a fad but the cellphone as a status symbol sure as hell is.  I think it's kind of like how in 50's every single American car made was cool but these days we have commuter cars that are effectively just transportation tools that are not status symbols in any way, unless you're showing off to bus riders.  "Cool" cars still exist but the freeway is also full of "tool" cars.  It's very rare that I meet people who have such practical attitudes towards cellphones as I do.  So many people need a flip phone or a thin phone or one that plays MP3s or has a camera or a Blackberry or an iPhone.  I know people at my work who buy a new phone every year.  That attitude is a fad.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »
I think it'd be easier for a game company to make a gamephone than for a phone company to make a gamephone.  The game company would have the built-in audience.  If Nintendo turned the DS into a phone and partnered with AT&T, I'd buy that phone day one.  That would rule.

I still wish the GB Micro had been half of what would have been the only cell phone I'd ever need.

I can certainly understand having a mobile telephone for emergencies, and have even toyed with the idea of getting a disposable simply to keep in my car in case of just such an instance.

If you go on trips away from home, I'd suggest going into your nearest large warehouse type store and finding the cheapest Tracfone package.  It's ten bucks for a pretty darn rugged phone with no fancy features and excellent battery life (a Nokia 1100).  The way Tracfone works, you have to buy minutes at least every few months to maintain service with the same phone number, but if you don't care about that you can just buy a minutes card before you leave on a trip so you have an emergency phone.  Also, per FCC requirements, all cell phones must be able to call 911 regardless of service status, so you still have that even if you don't buy minutes.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
S_B's girlfriend is a jackass.

There--I said it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
But hopefully a hot peice of jackass, right?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smakian

• View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »
Actually, I barely use my iPhone as a mobile phone. Although it is nice having a personal number I can give that's not shared with two roommates. I use it mainly as  a portable web browser (in fact, I'm making this post from my iPhone), and also for listening to music and watching movies on the go. For me, it's well worth the cost because I use all of the features and I could afford it. I see a lot of hate going around for cellphones without a lot of justification. Just owning something doesn't make you a jerk.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
If you go on trips away from home, I'd suggest going into your nearest large warehouse type store and finding the cheapest Tracfone package.  It's ten bucks for a pretty darn rugged phone with no fancy features and excellent battery life (a Nokia 1100).  The way Tracfone works, you have to buy minutes at least every few months to maintain service with the same phone number, but if you don't care about that you can just buy a minutes card before you leave on a trip so you have an emergency phone.  Also, per FCC requirements, all cell phones must be able to call 911 regardless of service status, so you still have that even if you don't buy minutes.

My thoughts exactly. I worry however that the service may not be up to snuff. The fact of the matter is, I don't often find myself out in flat city areas. You can find a telephone to use in those places anyway. Hills and rural highways are generally where my frequent long-distance trips take place. I can't say I've looked thoroughly into any reviews, but I am familiar with the way the payment "plan" works, and find it to be pretty agreeable.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
One thing Morari will probably like is that my cellphone is just the low feature free one that comes with a plan.  I have no intention of ever paying for a physical phone.

Cellphones aren't a fad but the cellphone as a status symbol sure as hell is.  I think it's kind of like how in 50's every single American car made was cool but these days we have commuter cars that are effectively just transportation tools that are not status symbols in any way, unless you're showing off to bus riders.  "Cool" cars still exist but the freeway is also full of "tool" cars.  It's very rare that I meet people who have such practical attitudes towards cellphones as I do.  So many people need a flip phone or a thin phone or one that plays MP3s or has a camera or a Blackberry or an iPhone.  I know people at my work who buy a new phone every year.  That attitude is a fad.

Well yes it is, but also no it isn't. Your generalizing the entire industry to be 2D. Just like anything I buy, it is an extension of me, of my personality. If the iPhone was dirt cheap (like $20), but only came in pink, I wouldn't buy it. Not cuz I'm insecure (hell, I got a couple of pink shirts/sweatshirts) but because I don't want a pink phone.

Plus, your forgetting that cellphones are an accessory. They are equivalent to watches except that they are much more functional. That doesn't stop people from wearing watches or even really nice watches (I got a pocket watch. I'm bringing it back!). When your a person that runs your own business, and you receive a call during a dinner with a client, you don't want to be embarrassed and put your future sell at stake when you pull out an old school nokia with a jeweled cover. No, you want to look professional, so that's why you have a blackberry.

Same with bitches (I'm only saying bitches because this is a very particular yet large part of the women population I'm addressing). Bitches look at everything; your shoes, your hair, your watch, your shirt; and judge you accordingly. Having them put a number into your gigantic mono-colored phone isn't flattering. You might as well just use a pen (I'm bringing this back as well!).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
I see iPhone gaming truly being successful in a casual niche.  Think things like card games, board games, PopCap  games, etc.  The other demographics for gaming tends to have a dedicated system.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 05:02:24 PM »
Plus, your forgetting that cellphones are an accessory. They are equivalent to watches except that they are much more functional. That doesn't stop people from wearing watches or even really nice watches (I got a pocket watch. I'm bringing it back!).

I did forget that.  Guess why I wear a watch? ;)

As for the types of women you're talking about my free cellphone is the least of my worries.  Women like that are not compatible with my personality.  I've dated one's like that and I pretty much had to be a phony the whole time.  If I have to play a role then I'm not comfortable and I'm not happy.  I have however dated some very attractive charming ladies that like me for me.  Hey for some people blending in with what's popular and fashionable is easy and natural and is part of who they really are.  But I'm someone who doesn't drink coffee because he thinks it tastes like crap.  Girls who will judge me by my shoes aren't going to click with me.

Though I actually do buy name brand shoes, not because of appearances but entirely because cheapo Wal-Mart shoes fall apart too easily. :)

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 05:21:04 PM »
Here's what I find funny...Here we are discussing how obnoxious some people are because of things like iPods and celphones.

Yet, I am 100% sure there are people who think WE are obnoxious and annoying for buying excessive amounts of games, play DS or PSP in public, spend good money to trick out gaming rooms and engage in discussions about consoles and games.

Heh, I actually remember seeing a video in which people from all sides of fandom ridiculed gamers (the comic book guy actually called gamers no life losers...I REALLY he said with tongue firmly planted in cheek).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 06:41:48 PM »
Yet, I am 100% sure there are people who think WE are obnoxious and annoying for buying excessive amounts of games, play DS or PSP in public, spend good money to trick out gaming rooms and engage in discussions about consoles and games.

The difference I suppose is in how widespread it is.  Gamers are a lot less common then teenage girls who want a new cellphone every year.

I'm irritated by people that appear to lack individuality.  The people who fall so neatly into categories and when you meet them it appears there is nothing interesting about them at all.    Their favourite movie came out last week, their favourite song is on the charts and their favourite TV show is in the top ten ratings.  However despite being uninteresting they're general well liked and popular because they're compatible with other similarly uninteresting people.

And it isn't just an anti-mainstream thing.  People who are INTENTIONALLY anti-mainstream are arguably worse.  You know the non-conformist that acts like all other non-conformists.  The outsider who is not an outsider at all because he has a little clique of people who think and act like he does thus ironically making him more of an insider in an exclusive group.

I'm an independent thinker.  That doesn't mean I don't like mainstream stuff or intentionally try to shut myself off from the world.  I'm actually get along with a lot of people because I do share common interests with them.  I don't feel the pressure to follow a popular view but at the same time don't feel the need to always rebel.

The type of cellphone person that I'm thinking off that bugs me is the stereotypical yuppie type that are everywhere in Vancouver.  If cellphones were suddenly not cool they would all throw there's away the next day - or recycle them if that was the trend.  I find people like that irritating.  So if you're a gamer and you're like that then I would find you obnoxious as well.  What I really find annoying are sheep.