Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615346 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1750 on: November 08, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »
Now that you're done, Neal, how well do you think it will stack up against previous Zelda titles?

Very favorably.

How much of the music seems to be orchestrated?

Pretty sure all of it is.

What are you're feelings on the final boss (I'm not asking who the boss was...)...if it's presumably not Ganon, then does it at least still have a good villain? 

It's epic. It's challenging. It's rather awesome.

Do you have a favorite item in the game? 

I loved the beetle early on, but as time passed, I loved bowling with the bomb.

Do you have a favorite character in the game?

The little electronic robot dudes in the desert.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 08, 2011, 11:53:20 AM »
Does Tingle cross the Time Space Barrier to be in this Game?

No

Are there Great Fairies?  Are they still Hot?

Not that I saw.

Is there a Magic System? (I don't remember seeing one in the screens)

Nope

How many different types of ways did you have to hold th Wiimote with the Different Items?

It never gets absurd. Actually, the game doesn't even fully use the pointer for aiming. I lazily played it with my hands facing away from the TV for a few minutes, and outside of doing it in reverse, it worked.

Are Rupees important or do the go to quick irrevelants like in other games?

It depends on how much you get into crafting and forging

Is stealth optional?

There is a token stealth section, but it's actually really good. I can't talk details, but I kind of felt like Link was Solid Snake. Awesome moment.

Does the game have a New Game+ Mode?

Yes. It's called Hero Mode. I'm not 100% sure what the differences are, and I can't go into detail on it until the game's release day.

Did the story keep you going till the end or did it peter out in the middle like TP or get delayed ridiculous long by a stupid set of fetching like WW?

It's coherent, which seems weird, but I honestly didn't know what the hell was going on in TP. There were like clone Links or something? I don't even know.
The cut scene direction is rather good. Dialog is fantastic.

How big are the areas?

They're not gigantic, but they're dense.

Can you make any non-scripted lasting changes to an area? (Like cutting down a sign and it stay cut or look like someone repaired it when you come back.)

Not that I could tell.

Did you ever feel a need to use the upgrade system? (I've heard reports that it is fully optional in a way.)

It's optional, but you'll likely want to upgrade your shield(s).

Is the game Linear? (In other words there are a certian order you must do about everything.  Like taking out bosses traditional or more Mega Man style?)

It seems to be linear. I'm not sure if you can do stuff out of order. It might have a moment like in OoT where you can do Spirit or Shadow.

Did you encounter any slowdown or glitching from the system being pushed harder then it probably should have been?

It was smooth like butter (also, not dual layer disc)

Do enemies still com 1 at a time to engage or were you mobbed a lot?

Yes and no. It kind of varies. You don't get swarmed, but more than one guy will attack you at once.

Were there many duplicate items? (Like the Bow is essentially an upgrade to the Slingshot in OoT.)

Sort of. The example you gave is true here, too.

What was the difficulty curve like?

Gentle.

Shadow Link?

Negative

Are there Pigs in the game?
What about Chickens?  Do they get angry and Maim you?

Not that I saw.

Any just plain silly dungeons or is it intense the whole time?

It's generally intense, but there's always light hearted stuff.

When will we be seeing the Floodgates of Info opening?

Friday is review day. I think we can talk about the second act of the game then. Then, final embargo is up on release day.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 08, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »
Neal, will Ian like this?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »
Now I'm curious on how dense that Embargo document is.

I'm surprised its not a Dual Layer disc.  That means the whole game fits on what 4 gigabytes of space.  Thats less then some PS3 Demos I've downloaded.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 08, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
I've gotten this far without knowing all that much about Skyward Sword. With only 10 days until my copy arrives, please do not go overboard into spoiler territory. I don't mind you writing about it, just keep it all within the articles. I can think of many occasions where I've gone to the front page of this website and other sites, and it'll spoil stuff within the headlines and the huge images on display. That's not really avoidable unless I do an internet blackout, which I would rather not do because there are other things to read about.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
It's not long. There are just three bottleneck days. 11/4, 11/11 and 11/20. It's worded like "don't discuss anything up until XX"
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
Neal i'm being totally serious, will someone like Ian complain about the the controls? How reliable were they throughout the game?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 08, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
Neal i'm being totally serious, will someone like Ian complain about the the controls? How reliable were they throughout the game?

I can't speak for anyone, but I will say that I will be shocked if a majority of people aren't annoyed early on.

Basically, we've been playing Zelda games a certain way for decades. Skyward Sword controls in a different manner. It's sort of like Phantom Hourglass with stylus control, except this doesn't feel forced. It feels like a natural evolution of the series.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 08, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
I can't speak for anyone, but I will say that I will be shocked if a majority of people aren't annoyed early on.

Basically, we've been playing Zelda games a certain way for decades. Skyward Sword controls in a different manner. It's sort of like Phantom Hourglass with stylus control, except this doesn't feel forced. It feels like a natural evolution of the series.
Wait a minute.  Does that mean I'm going to jump off into a pit when I just meant to throw my Boomerang?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 08, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
How long did it take you to beat the game? About how much side stuff did you do and not do (a vague guess is fine)?

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
I can't believe no one has asked about how friendly this would be for lefties. Sword seems manageable, but you even play the freaking arp with it in a "realistic" fashion, I'm really afraid I'm not going to be able to enjoy this game if there are a lot of this type of gameplay mechanics.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »
I don't get it. How is the Wii not already totally ambidextrous? What dictates what hand you hold the Wiimote in?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
I thought Neal already addressed this.  I think he even went to say he's playing the game Lefty.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:13 PM »
OH Neal si the same other Neal, I forgot!

Im still afraid theres going to be an item that is going to be impossible.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
OH Neal si the same other Neal, I forgot!

Im still afraid theres going to be an item that is going to be impossible.
Neal is on record of completing the game so I don't think it will be a problem.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
The E3 demo has leaked online.

Well all I got to say is I am REALLY excited now.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 08, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »

Stay out of threads regarding it on other forums. It seems some jackass on NeoGaf found a text file in it that contain story details and posted it. Blacked out but still. It's likely to spread now. Some have said what was contain was true but you never know. Better to stay catious. I'm avoiding all Zelda threads and forums save for this one now because of this. .

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »

Stay out of threads regarding it on other forums. It seems some jackass on NeoGaf found a text file in it that contain story details and posted it. Blacked out but still. It's likely to spread now. Some have said what was contain was true but you never know. Better to stay catious. I'm avoiding all Zelda threads and forums save for this one now because of this. .
Thats not cool at all.  I was sort of upset about the second dungeon stuff from Neal.  I be very upset if someone just had the whole game story wise already.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 08, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »
Apparently Edge magazine gave this game a perfect score.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 08, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
As a lefty, there were zero control issues.

Also, I didn't mean to spoil stuff. I thought I was warning folks by making the article title "Second Dungeon."
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: November 08, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »
The only thing that worries me about this game is that Siren Realm stuff. I hate stealh gameplay. Hey Neal, how annoying is that Siren realm stuff and how many times do you have to use it (PM me the answer, please).
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
I'll PM you details, but its worth noting that the Silent Realm stuff is exhilarating. It's very intense, and they're in areas you're already familiar with, so avoiding detection is somewhat easier.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 09, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
I'll PM you details, but its worth noting that the Silent Realm stuff is exhilarating. It's very intense, and they're in areas you're already familiar with, so avoiding detection is somewhat easier.

Are they mandatory?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 09, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »
Yes.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 09, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »
Neal, you might have missed my questions since I didn't direct them at you, so I'll ask one more time. How long did it take you to beat the game? About how much side stuff did you do and not do (a vague guess is fine)?