Author Topic: Legend of Korra game by Platinum  (Read 17564 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Korra game by Platinum
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »
Why is Korra beating up the Village of Wii Fit Trainers?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:39 AM »
The week of Platinum is on!

People are already streaming it on Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/The%20Legend%20of%20Korra
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
The week of Platinum is on!

People are already streaming it on Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/The%20Legend%20of%20Korra

At one point I was probably on that list (as NintendoFreeRadio), because I was streaming it on my PS4. So far, I've made it up to Chapter 5 and...ugh...this game is such a goddamn slog. The levels are ludicrously long, composed of the same copy & pasted Republic City streets and alleys and the same 3-4 enemy types. I must have spent a solid hour on chapter 4 alone because the level just wouldn't END. The boss fights I've had against the Mechatanks seem cool at first...until you realize the things have a health bar 10x as long as yours, and your attacks do so little damage to them that you're in for about 10 minutes of painfully dull "3 hit combo, dodge, 3 hit combo, counter, 3 hit combo, repeat."  Aside from attack speed and some range differences, I've seen absolutely no differentiation between the two elements I've unlocked (water and earth). The game has given me no indication whatsoever why I would use one element in battle instead of another. There are a total 2 counter animations in the whole game, too, and absolutely no special attack animation sequences appear in the boss fights.

And **** fighting the Triple Threat Triads. Seriously. They have gigantic hit bars, the camera constantly spazzes out while you fight them, and they're fond of attacking you while hidden behind the terrible camera. I must have died 10 times in a row while fighting them for the first time, though I've gotten better at dealing with the game's bullshit since.

And whoever at Platinum thought the Naga stages were a good idea (in the words of Garfield) should be dragged out into the street and shot.

So what's good about the game? Well, the combat can be quite fun when enemies go down in just a few hits. There's a good, Kinetic feel to the combat when it works, much like certain other character action games. The game's counter system is Witch Time-esque: rewarding you with a damaging counterattack if you wait to block at the last possible moment. On some enemies, that counterattack can lead right into a Circle finishing move that I've seen take out more than one enemy at a time. While the environments are washed out and boring, the characters look great. The shop implementation is excellent, and there's a decent amount of exploration. The voice work is straight from the show (though I suspect Jinorah has a different actress), and the animated cutscenes could have been pulled right from the show.

Also, the trophy names are quite amusing. Seeing "Zhu Li! Do the Thing!" pop up during battle made me smile. And of course there's a trophy for collecting cabbages. I bet you can't guess what it's called! :P:

Overall, this isn't the disaster that I thought it would be, but it's not a great game, either. Purely "average."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:59:17 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »
Played for three hours:

Few thoughts.

Main problem is the lack of polish. Voice acting and sound design in general is very subpar, and combat lacks polish you expect from Platinum (when you get caught by a bolo, QTE to free yourself takes too much time and sometimes you are immediately get caught by another rope).

Combat system is definitely not in the same league as DMC4/Bayo, but it's workable. In the beginning you don't have any bending moves, so it feels pretty boring. Once you start to unlock new bending arts and scroll -- it gets interesting mechanically.

"Temple run" segments are sad. They're fine technically and play okay, but why they're here to begin with? If they wanted to pad the length, you could have chosen a better game to ripoff.

Mechatanks are pretty hard. First one i think took me half an hour to beat. You need to get used to the timing of their attacks to parry everything they do and overwhelm them.

Platforming sucks, but that is nothing new for Platinum.

UI feels like it was done in a day (it probably was).

Game has interesting mechanic with talismans you can put on d-pad slots. Some of them boost your attack power or give you more points but you get your health halved.

Overall: combat is fun enough, i can totally see it becoming great as i unlock more moves. Everything else is eh.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:44 PM »
Game is god-tier trash. I agree with Gamespot, it is pretty close to be just as shitty as the live-action movie.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 06:29:44 AM »
Let's breakdown combat system.

Game is built around charging. When you press attack button the gauge under healthbar starts filling up and you see circles on the ground, when you release the button you get powered up attack. There is also "perfect charge" mechanic that does something you release button just at the right time (entire screen flashes with colour of the element), but i am not sure what it does...

The gauge stay up for a while after charged attack and during that time your attack will be boosted. That's why it's useful to do one charge attack to fill the gauge before every encounter.

For defence you have dodging and guarding. Dodging is standard stuff: it is invincible during the dodge so you can dodge into the attack and as long as you exit the animation in the safe zone you're fine. There is a cooldown after 5 consecutive dodges to prevent you from spamming it too much.

Guarding is basically Royal Guard from DMC3/4. You can compare it to Mahaa-Kalaa from Bayonetta or parrying from MGR, but here you don't need any directional input -- you just press left trigger with the right timing to counter an attack.

Guarding is kinda overpowered, so you will be tempted not to do anything and lure out enemies to attack so you can counter them and one hit kill them.

Triple triad members can guard as well and if you try to attack them during that state you will initiate God of War style QTE where you need to press directions with a left stick.

There is also stun mechanic, if you hit an enemy hard enough he gets dizzy and will be open for finishing move with B. You're invincible during finishing move animation and this move also hits everyone in the area so it's a life saver against big crowds.

Waterbending:
Long range stuff. It has cool unlockable water whip move -- you throw a water sprout and pull an enemy towards you. It's very cool to send an enemy flying and immeditately pull him back with it. There is also freezing attack but i've yet to freeze anyone with it.

Earthbending:
The most fun of all bending arts. It's extremely satisfying to hit enemies with charging hits with it. All attacks have area of effect and are VERY powerful. Earthbending also has the best combos right of the gate: simple XXX is very good, XXY -- is even better, YY is great and Y in the air is AMAZING (even moreso if charged). You hang in the air and then fall down to the ground and causing huge columns of earth to come out:

Firebending:
Kinda eh. Weak, nothing special. Fire kick move look pretty cool, but it's not super useful because it concentrates fire on only one enemy:

I've unlocked a few more moves for it so it might get more useful later on. We'll see.

Airbending:
I've just unlocked it, so it didn't have too much time. But it felt VERY good, if a little overpowered, i was just mashing buttons and enemies were literally flying all over the place:

Game overall gets very challenging, both in combat and in other parts. You can cheese combat parts a bit by abusing finishing moves invinciblity and using camera trick where you focus the camera on one enemy because by the unwritten rule of all action games offscreen enemies become docile.

There is one particular temple run style sequence where i spent 20 minutes trying to beat it:

^ very, very hard.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »
Finished the game.

Some of the later parts were TERRIBLE:

^ do you see anything? Neither did i.

As you upgrade bending, air and fire get more powerful and useful (fire rocket move is pretty cool to get away). Water still kinda sucks.

The final boss fight was pretty great. At first it felt like it's absolutely impossible (like with all good bosses) but i managed, there were some really cool moments of empowerment. And of course the feel of release in the end when you finally defeat Hundun was typical Platinum stuff.

Credits were playable in Platinum fashion and also had some cool fanservice moments.

Coming back to previous levels fully upgraded feels like a bully among weaklings -- you can just throw everyone around by mashing buttons, where previously you could barely survive.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:24 AM »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »
Video review that i find the most fair so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk96W6n0Fvo
He gives it 6/10 and i kinda agree -- lack of polish, short length and other stuff really drag the game down.

BUT. Signature Platinum combat depth is still there, and when it works it's really satisfying and cool.

As evidenced in this combo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hax17hfTcjE
^ done in a special training area, so the mook doesnt die and you can juggle him all you want.

Also there is somewhat technical analysis of combat systems in the game (might require knowledge of technical terms from DMC and Bayonetta series'):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZWM5v89-U

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
I highly recommend watching this walkthrough of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu5ADIxNXN0

He plays it on Extreme difficulty starting from scratch (which is the THE hardest run you can do in the game) and shows the way game is supposed to be played.

I myself was having a lot of problems on that difficulty, so i searched around and found these videos -- highly informative.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
...? You were having problems? Was your bending not maxed out?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Extreme difficulty starting from scratch