Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 674109 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: NX hot scoops straight from Google!
« Reply #2175 on: October 03, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »
The rumor mill is deader than a Cincinnati gorilla. Half tempted to move this to the Funhouse.

Still true, btw.

At this point, the only things I'm concerned about are what non-Zelda games are launching with it and when they're revealing. Anything else is fluff.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Foxconn "Leaks" Edition)
« Reply #2176 on: October 04, 2016, 01:41:12 PM »
I heard a guy talking about NX at a used video game store and they suggested that it was actually just the NES Mini all along and Nintendo is officially exciting the hardware business and going full on Playstation 3rd party.

At this point, I am starting to think Nintendo is waiting to make sure the other guys are locked into VR before they reveal whatever it actually is.

The only thing I want, if I am to consider buying one at all, is to guarantee all the games I have on virtual console transfer over. Being able to migrate all my Wii virtual console purchases was one thing that took the sting of buying a Wii U down a little. If they only let you migrate Wii U and 3DS purchases but throw out all the Wii stuff I might be tempted to skip this machine entirely. Especially if it's just a handheld that plugs into your TV.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 04, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »
It would be pretty great if I could transfer all Wii and Wii U games over.  I have more of these than physical games right now.I have acouple of games that are both in the Wii VC and on the Wii U vc.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 04, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
I just hope it makes waffles.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 04, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
is to guarantee all the games I have on virtual console transfer over. Being able to migrate all my Wii virtual console purchases was one thing that took the sting of buying a Wii U down a little.

I think it is very unlikely that will happen.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2180 on: October 04, 2016, 10:31:25 PM »
I dunno I feel Nintendo is realizing that the market wants to carry their game purchases over to each new system.  I can see Nintendo charging a small conversion charge like they did with the Wii U.  Hopefully it will not be per game, but a single one time charge...at least for Digital Virtual Console Games

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 04, 2016, 10:34:54 PM »
Part of why that worked, though, is that the Wii U was a continuation of the same hardware architecture as the Wii and could run everything natively in Wii mode. There's no guarantee it'll be anywhere near that easy this time around.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 04, 2016, 11:04:49 PM »
Most of the digital games we buy are just old roms with attached emulators and unity games. It could be one of the reasons why NX is in the dark so long is because they are spending a lot of time doing conversions/ports. Very few games use proprietary or inflexible engines.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2183 on: October 05, 2016, 12:00:50 AM »
I'm almost willing to be that the next hardware announcement will be a 3DS revision.

Close enough.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 05, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »
Yeah, you're not going to be able to straight transfer your WiiU VC games over, but if the My Nintendo account is good for anything it should know what games you purchased and allow you to re-download or convert them as they're released for NX. Although there's nothing on My Nintendo that shows a game list as far as I can tell, so I'm leery. I sold my WiiU, but not before I synced it with MyNin. I'm really hoping there won't be some kind of hardware dickery involved between the WiiU and NX to get it to recognize games on my account.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 05, 2016, 12:51:20 AM »
is to guarantee all the games I have on virtual console transfer over. Being able to migrate all my Wii virtual console purchases was one thing that took the sting of buying a Wii U down a little.

I think it is very unlikely that will happen.

There's no rational reason (in 2016) for that to be anything but an easy yes.

Fact is, charging us for the Wii U version of an emulated game that we already purchased on the Wii was a pretty harsh dick move. Nintendo better recognize.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 05, 2016, 02:18:50 AM »
This is Nintendo we are talking about here. They will happily charge us again for the same VC games, Im sure of it.
But I will be very happy to be proven wrong when the NX launches.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 05, 2016, 11:41:17 AM »
No they will happily charge most of you to rebuy  games you already have, not me not this time. If there is one thing I learned buying Nintendo this gen it's KEEP EVERYTHING, the number 1 reason I bought a Wii U was I know it will be damn collectible in 15 years and if its the only way to hold onto my very large Wii Virtual Console library without having to re-buy the same games again I will do it just to spite Nintendo. I would happily pay a small conversion fee or transfer fee, small as in a 1 time $10 fee or less. I will NOT be paying more than that. Or I would consider a $1 fee per game but not what they did with Wii U I want everything I bought on Wii, I have 60+ Wii VC titles, I barely have 20 Wii U VC titles, mostly just DS and Wii stuff with the main SNES stuff just for easier access.

Actually I am not sold on NX yet, but I doubt it will be Wii U fail I am predicting closer to N64 levels of successful but GC levels of support. Maybe slightly higher. Depends on what great new gimmick they come up with and price.

I know they won't or there is a good chance they won't but it's the number 1 deal breaker for me. There might not be a way to do a "Wii Mode" but I am sure they can figure out a way to access the Wii store.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 05, 2016, 10:59:36 PM »
Boogie2988 aka Francis of all people has some juicy tidbits

http://gonintendo.com/stories/266258-rumor-boogie2988-gets-insider-info-on-nx-expands-upon-console

Interesting he talks about playing regular Assasins Creed in console mode, then picking it up and playing the Assasin's Creed mobile game on the go.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 06, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »
Boy we hard up for info if we're listening to that noise.

But, uh, that concept of playing the real game on the screen and the mobile version on the go, that, uh, sounds a little too Nintendo-like for comfort and isn't something I'd seen floated before.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:52 AM »
Much like my assessment when the Famicom-mini was announced, Nintendo got their minor 2DS colour revision news out so... now time for the real stuff, right?

I can't tell if the NX is falling behind schedule and they're stalling for time or Nintendo is just being their weird selves and are sitting on the announcement for reasons that only make sense to them.  For any other company if they had said a March launch and still had not revealed things by October I would assume the product is delayed but with Nintendo I don't feel confident making that assumption.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 06, 2016, 05:02:33 AM »
I was expecting a September announcement and that didnt happen. Now Im thinking it will happen after the NES mini is released.
That way all the focus is on the NES instead of the NX.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2192 on: October 06, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Isn't the NES Mini not coming out until November?

How late is too late?  (All announcement related bets aside.)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 06, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »
I'm not expecting any kind of backwards compatibility since it seems Nintendo is moving away from the Wii / U hardware and name, which would be a good idea. Besides, the PS4 and XBONE didn't have backwards compatibility (though they may have had some added in, I forget), and nobody seemed to care. Then again, I'm probably forgetting the double standards people tend to hold to Nintendo...

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 06, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
We might not know what the NX is, but one thing that we can safely assume is that Nintendo will be counting on it to be a medium-long term source of revenue for them. They're counting on the NES Classic Edition being a source of revenue over a couple of months and that's about it. I don't think Nintendo is really letting the NES Classic Edition factor into their timing of the NX announcement in many material way (and if they are, someone needs to have a long chat with the people behind that decision).

How late is too late?  (All announcement related bets aside.)

If Nintendo still intends to launch the NX in March, I think it has to be this month. If they wait much longer and still release it in March, they'll be sabotaging another hardware launch.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 06, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »
The system will more then likely be shown by October 27.  Like I already said in the NX predict thread several times, Nintendo more then likely wanted to get Paper Mario out of the way before announcing the system.  The NX is the future while the Wii U is the past, why would they announce the NX anytime in September when they have only one last Wii U game left to sell?  Yeah they've announced new hardware along with new games for older hardware in the past but none of those systems were as big a failure hardware wise as the Wii U.  All reports point to the NX being a major reboot for Nintendo so it's not hard to see why they want to get rid of the old before moving on since they don't want to remind people of the old anymore.

Basically after Paper Mario's release tomorrow Nintendo will officially bury the Wii U.  When they start talking about the NX they want to show everyone how awesome it's going to be and not want people to even think about the previous system called the Wii U since then people could think the NX will suffer the Wii U's same problems.  Yeah there will still be a Wii U version of Zelda but that's meant for the hardcore necrophiliac fanboys like myself who Nintendo has no problem with them still getting enjoyment from a dead system, but won't be officially condoning said behavior.  In terms of branding, marketing and coverage, Breath of the Wild will basically be a NX exclusive to the rest of the world.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2196 on: October 06, 2016, 09:49:57 PM »
I can see Nintendo waiting until Nov. 18th because that is the date Nintendo uses to release the LAST holiday game or new system in the US.  I am sure Nintendo wants to sell as much hardware as possible before announcing the new system.  This may upset many consumers, but businesses almost never care about consumers and really want to get old stock out of the way to prevent too much loss.  Any console sold before the announcement is better.  After the announcement especially if the system will launch in March, there will be few new Wii U systems sold.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 07, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
I'm not expecting any kind of backwards compatibility since it seems Nintendo is moving away from the Wii / U hardware and name, which would be a good idea. Besides, the PS4 and XBONE didn't have backwards compatibility (though they may have had some added in, I forget), and nobody seemed to care. Then again, I'm probably forgetting the double standards people tend to hold to Nintendo...

I am personally was never asking for backwards compatability of anything Wii or Wii U related, nobody in their right mind should expect that. I want Virtual Console b/c or at least to keep the games I already purchased, some twice. I was okay with it on Wii U because the logistics and the way things worked out but damn it I have $600 invested in Wii virtual Console that of those games are lost, as in they aren't even the ones ported to Wii U yet, I will be pissed. Not to the point I won't get an NX, I am not sold on it yet anyways, but I might out of spite because **** it, I don't know I just feel like at the very least they need to find a way to include Wii and Wii U virtual console games no matter how they do it. Even if it means launching a Wii app just for virtual console and everything else is not useful fine I would settle for that and Nintendo could pull that off. If its rights issues they need to get that sorted out five years ago.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2198 on: October 07, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
[ur]http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/10/06/a-nintendo-nx-delay-would-help-it-dominate-in-2017/#482dbb6c496d[/url]

Here's an article saying Nintendo should (not will) delay the NX launch to the summer.

I think the author makes one good point, but I don't think Nintendo can maintain their relevance that long.  They'll have bee more or less out of the console business for months by the time they announce.  And then, people will question why Nintendo just doesn't put w/e games they show for the system on mobile or on other consoles.

Wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 07, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
One thing I noticed in that article was that it argued that if they waited until early January to unveil the system that would necessitate a delay. It treated that as a given, as completely obvious and in no need of justification. My question is why couldn't they do the big reveal the first week of January and then release it at the end of March? In basically every other sector of the tech industry they can announce a product and have it in people's hands within a week. Even if you grant that a console launch is a bigger deal and requires more preparation, why couldn't you do it in two and a half months?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent