Poll

Which game should we play and discuss together on Radio Free Nintendo?

Perfect Dark (N64, XBLA)*
31 (48.4%)
Banjo-Tooie (N64, XBLA)
12 (18.8%)
Beyond Good & Evil (GC/PS2/Xbox, XBLA/PSN)**
19 (29.7%)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (GC/PS2/Xbox, PS3)***
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: May 12, 2011, 07:58:10 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #18 Poll - Originals & Remakes Edition  (Read 17365 times)

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #18 Poll - Originals & Remakes Edition
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
Mega Man 2 is the easiest overall. Find an E-tank (Flash Man's stage is good for that), then use it to beat Metal Man. You'll get the Metal Blade, which wrecks everything in the game, fires in eight directions, and uses almost no weapon energy.

Wow, an original Mega Man I might actually be able to beat.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
I vote for Perfect Dark just so you guys can have a conversation about how some games don't age well.

I think Perfect Dark has aged remarkably well for a first-person shooter.

EDIT: And by that I mean the Xbox Live Arcade version. The N64 version is probably unplayable today. Still, it's amazing that fixing the framerate and adding online play turns it into something, in my opinion, on the same level as shooters a decade newer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:08:34 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »
Perfect Dark has a few issues that have become more pronounced from age, but I'd have to protest the argument that it's unplayable. I'll save that for if the game gets picked, which is looking likely.

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »
I voted for BG&E.  I keep hearing about how it's a great Zelda-like.  Also I think it's easily the most available to people as it's on the most platforms.

By the way, it's available for download on Steam, so there's really no excuse to not play it if it gets chosen.

EDIT: Also, I have zero interest in shooters.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:26:09 AM by viciouskillersquirrel »

Offline SEAL PUP85

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:51 AM »
PERFECT DARK!!!!  I remember reading about this in Game Informer, and it was the best looking game I had ever seen at the time.  I am playing through it now on XBox and although it doesn't do much good to compare it to recent shooters, I must say it brings back good memories.  I suspect it is one of those games you appreciate if you were around to play it when it came out.  Anyway, just my two cents.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:43 AM »
I voted for BG&E.  I keep hearing about how it's a great Zelda-like.  Also I think it's easily the most available to people as it's on the most platforms.

By the way, it's available for download on Steam, so there's really no excuse to not play it if it gets chosen.

EDIT: Also, I have zero interest in shooters.

I think BG&E is pretty over-rated by the internet. I played it when it released, and while I enjoyed it, thought it was merely an average game.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
Hmmm, I've played all of these except BG&E, but the recent discussions of BG&E and its stealthy aspects lead me to think I wouldn't like it.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
Hmmm, I've played all of these except BG&E, but the recent discussions of BG&E and its stealthy aspects lead me to think I wouldn't like it.
The Stealth is like the Stealth in the Zelda Series and not say MGS which is the kind of stealth I hate.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »

But in most cases, TYP, you can kill the guards even after they've seen you. Things do get tougher later in the game, though, what with the insta-kill lasers.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 02:09:40 AM »
The Stealth is like the Stealth in the Zelda Series and not say MGS which is the kind of stealth I hate.
I hate the stealth in Zelda games, too. In fact, I kind of hate them more than what I sampled in MGS: The Twin Snakes.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
I hate the stealth in Zelda games, too. In fact, I kind of hate them more than what I sampled in MGS: The Twin Snakes.
Yeah, then you'll hate this game.  The photo aspect is cool so if you reallly loved Pokemon Snap you might get over the stealth, maybe.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »
Beyond Good and Evil HD... how perfect xD. My Xbox DVD Drive had just broke a week ago, and this gives me a great excuss to finally pick up the HD Remake and test it out :)
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
I voted BG & E, just to see what the fuss was about. Quick Question: I generally like playing the original versions of games over"upgraded" remakes, especially if I haven't played it before. But is there a good reason to download the XBLA version over finding a copy for Gamecube? And the increased graphical fidelity won't play into it too much, since I'm still using my Standard Def TV set. (Which, text aside, still allows those 360 games to look pretty good.)
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »
This varies for each of the nominated games, but BG&E HD is a very straight remake other than the graphical upgrade. There are some very minor control tweaks to account for the modern controllers.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
I have to agree that Beyond Good and Evil is overrated. It's still a very good game, and I'd recommend it to most people (stealth haters aside), but for me it's not in the same league as Zelda or Okami. The hoverboat/craft thing you fly around the overworld is good fun though. The story is well told too, I just don't think the core gameplay is particularly great. Plus I found the length of the game and size of the world to be slightly underwhelming. I wish Michel Ancel would make a new Rayman platformer, BG&E has a few parts that are reminiscent (mostly in the environments) of Rayman 2.

Anyway, my vote goes to Perfect Dark. I got stuck on a mission several months ago and I need an excuse to get back to it, because up until that point I'd found the missions pretty decent. And considering I've unlocked the 007 difficulty mode on Goldeneye it's frankly pitiful that I haven't even finished Perfect Dark on the easiest difficulty.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Ancel is working on a new 2D platformer called Rayman Origins. It was shown at Ubisoft's E3 press conference last week, so it should be out soon. I think it is planned for XBLA, PSN, Steam, and maaaaaaaaybe WiiWare (probably not).

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw info from Game Informer saying that it has been changed to a retail release on PS3 and 360.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:56:40 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
Ancel is working on a new 2D platformer called Rayman Origins. It was shown at Ubisoft's E3 press conference last week, so it should be out soon. I think it is planned for XBLA, PSN, Steam, and maaaaaaaaybe WiiWare (probably not).

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw info from Game Informer saying that it has been changed to a retail release on PS3 and 360.

Damn, that's too bad, as I only have access to a PS1, N64 and PC...occasionally see a Wii. Never heard of the PS3 or 360. It's just a random jumble of letters and numbers to me. I'll sit tight - I expect they'll announce a PS1 port soon. Some things are inevitable.

Offline Stardust

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
i saw perfect dark across my xbla screen and went "hmm, looks cool. I'm too lazy to buy it though." then the last retro active came up and I saw it as a candidate and was like, "HEY! I CAN ACTUALLY JOIN THEIR CONVERSATION!" Sadly no. lol, but hopefully Perfect Dark wins this round, cuz it seems kinda fun!
Bad players mash all the buttons. Good players mash one button.

Live and Let live.

Offline Dropkik

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 03:19:37 AM »
Who do I need to beg to get a retroactive on Wind Waker, Majora, or Links Awakening?
Dancing on the rain-slicked precipice of pretension

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
Yes!  Perfect Dark!

I was excited to get this game.  Just recently bought a N64 and have been amassing a collection for it.  This gives me a chance to pick up a copy of this game and see if it's as fun as I remember it being.  I've had a lot of fun replaying Goldeneye after I adjusted from HD gaming to 64-bit, now I'll have to see if the framerate issues are as bad as people here claim.  I remember there being occasional slowdown, but nothing that dramatic. 

Also helps that the game is only 5-10 bucks online.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
Who do I need to beg to get a retroactive on Wind Waker, Majora, or Links Awakening?

Those games have gotten a lot of play and discussion already on RFN, though.  I could see RFN maybe doing Link's Awakening when it comes out on the 3DS Virtual Console just because not as many people played it on the GameBoy, but even that's a stretch.  I'd love a Retroactive on Majora's Mask, but I think everything there is to say about that game has already been said on RFN and other podcasts.  The same goes for Wind Waker.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
Once 3DS Virtual Console is up and running with a decent selection of games, we'll definitely have at least one RetroActive associated with it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!