Author Topic: NEOGEO Titles Announced for US Release  (Read 6117 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
NEOGEO Titles Announced for US Release
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:07:52 AM »
Fatal Fury, World Heroes, and Art of Fighting debut at 900 Wii Points.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14376

SNK to Release Classic NEOGEO Arcade Games on Wii(tm) Virtual Console(tm)    

Wall, NJ - Sep 12, 2007 SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION, the U.S. publishing arm of the SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION, today announced that the Company will release several of their greatest NEOGEO arcade games via the Virtual Console(tm) feature on Wii(tm). Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points(tm) to download these classic games through the Wii Shop Channel. D4Enterprise, Inc., headquartered in Tokyo, will manage the release of the titles.    

Key NEOGEO titles will include "Fatal Fury," "World Heroes," and "Art of Fighting." Each title is expected to cost 900 Wii Points. More titles will follow over the coming months

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: NEOGEO Titles Announced for US Release
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:16:45 AM »
This is news?  Did I miss something?  Does the article imply that these are available now?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:NEOGEO Titles Announced for US Release
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
This is news?  Did I miss something?  Does the article imply that these are available now?

Well I don't think the specific games was announced. Regardless Nintendo better give us the ability to run games off an external HDD or SD Card because I REFUSE to erase my internal memory to put 1 or 2 games on it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Well I don't think the specific games was announced. Regardless Nintendo better give us the ability to run games off an external HDD or SD Card because I REFUSE to erase my internal memory to put 1 or 2 games on it.

We also got pricing. 900 points – not too shabby.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:39:53 AM »
We've had pricing for weeks, haven't we?  I could have sworn I've known they would be 900 points for quite a while.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:41:57 AM »
In Japan, and their pricing is slightly different.  But it's good to know it's the same here, though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:46:30 AM »
Come to me, my Samurai Shodown...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:50:42 AM »
I don't think there was an official, 100%, no backsies announcement before this.  Before it was just Internet confirmed.  Now it's Wall Street confirmed.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 07:56:04 AM »
Good stuff though the three game listed probably aren't worth a download.  I loved playing all three of them back in the day but they don't really hold up now.  Back then I was so into Street Fighter II that I played any fighting game I could that played similar.  It was like playing more Street Fighter II with new characters and usually a few new ideas mixed in.  World Heroes for example had a death match mode that I loved and would love to see in future 2D fighting games.

Fatal Fury gets better but the first game isn't so hot.  The must-download Neo-Geo fighters are King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, and the Last Blade.

Bring on Baseball Stars 2.  It's easily my favourite NeoGeo game and favourite sports game of any kind.

When I was a kid my ultimate dream game was a fighting game that combined Street Fighter II with SNK's games (and numerous other SFII clones).  I think every SFII fan wanted to make that game.  Of course it now exists in Capcom vs. SNK, which I think is great, but it came out years too late.  If it came out in like 1994 or 1995 I would have been so ecstatic and since 2D fighting games were still huge it would have been an insane success.  It's like Mario and Sonic teaming up.  There was a time where a mere suggestion of a team-up between the companies would have caused riots.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Too bad you can't boot a game off of the SD Card or the USB port which would be used for the external HDD.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 08:44:07 AM »
Fatal Fury is still a great series...and the first is important to know where the franchise started.  

I never enjoy King of the Fighter series.  

Now, I hope they release several of their shooter and other games quickly, because fighters are nice, but I don't want all fighters...and I want a HDD that will actually play games off of it.  Please Nintendo.  Please.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »
It says a lot that all three of these games are fighters.  Still, I might get World Heroes if I can get someone to play with me regularly.  I LOVED the Super NES version.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
... and again Fatal Fury is on XBLA for $5 with online play.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
come to me, my Magician Lord...

and lets face it, the neo geo had great sound samples all around!

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »
hell. yes.  

also i'm not buying anything until k0f 96 or samurai showdown anything.

Originally posted by: BwrJim!
come to me, my Magician Lord...

and lets face it, the neo geo had great sound samples all around!

Come on, nice guy! But your life is mine very soon!  

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »
I'm very happy Neo Geo games have finally been confirmed for North America.  I can't see why it wouldn't happen but I was wondering what the hold back was.

One of my friends in high school had a Neo Geo system, so I actually got to play many a Neo Geo game with him and at the numerous Neo Geo machines peppered around the area.  Magician Lord, Cyber Lib, Crossed Swords, World Heroes, Super 8 Man, King of the Monsters, the Samurai Showdown series and a few whos names I can't remember... So many great games and good times.  I'm sure some many won't hold up as well today but the prospect of playing some of these again on my Wii is very exciting.  I'm not surprised that the first games announced are fighters as that's probably what SNK is known best for.  But they made all kinds of other games that at the time were pretty much priced out of anyone's range.

I'm also glad that the price is under $10, unlike Japan's $12.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 11:22:18 AM »
I want Neo Bomberman, Magician Lord, Blazing Star, Aero Fighters 2, and any other game that I never played that will interest me eventually.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 12:33:52 PM »
The largest Neo Geo games were 88MB and those were the "Giga Power" ones that I doubt they'll release on anything other than a collection since they're the more modern ones.  Everything before that was about the size of OoT.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 12:48:07 PM »
How does the emulation work - do you have to download one emulator for all the programs or does each program have its own emulator?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 12:52:43 PM »
Every game has its own emulator.  Which makes the space issue even worse.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »
"The largest Neo Geo games were 88MB and those were the 'Giga Power' ones that I doubt they'll release on anything other than a collection since they're the more modern ones. Everything before that was about the size of OoT."

You're ruining my memories with your facts and such.  How could 100 MEG SHOCKER games in reality be so small?  I remember Donkey Kong Country and Super Street Fighter II were 32 meg SNES games which was f*cking huge at the time and bigger than any other SNES or Genesis games.  Strider was a big deal when it was released at 8 megs and Super Metroid was a major deal at 24.  So when you went to the arcade and World Heroes 2 said it was over 100 MEGS it was like "HOLY F*CK!"  No wonder those games cost hundreds of dollars.

Someday we'll go back to cartridges as solid state media is catching up in capacity and they have an obvious load time advantage to discs.  And when they do I hope we go back to advertising cartridge sizes as a big deal with newer games getting brand new BIGGER cartridges.  Use gigabits just to keep the misleading size convention of megabits alive.  100 GIG SHOCKER!!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »
Every game has its own emulator?  Does that apply just to Neo-Geo (and any other forthcoming systems that weren't in the original lineup) or is that *every* game?  If so... ouch.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian SaneSomeday we'll go back to cartridges as solid state media is catching up in capacity and they have an obvious load time advantage to discs.  And when they do I hope we go back to advertising cartridge sizes as a big deal with newer games getting brand new BIGGER cartridges.  Use gigabits just to keep the misleading size convention of megabits alive.  100 GIG SHOCKER!!

ASH for the DS is a 2 gigabit shocker, as it's the largest DS game to date.  Does that make you feel better?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »
I am... happy. Now this is just a start, but can't wait for what will come down the pipeline

Shock Troopers 1 and 2 plz.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Every game has its own emulator?  Does that apply just to Neo-Geo (and any other forthcoming systems that weren't in the original lineup) or is that *every* game?  If so... ouch.

Every. game.
Aaron Kaluszka