Author Topic: Wii Play Now Available in North America  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Wii Play Now Available in North America
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:29:53 AM »
With the demand for extra remotes, the game may already be sold out.

NINTENDO'S WII PLAY JOINS WII SPORTS AS THE LIFE OF THE PARTY

Wii Play Builds Bridge between Experienced and New Gamers

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 14, 2007 - Less than 12 weeks ago, people around the world first picked up a Wii Remote™ and realized Nintendo is changing video games forever.

The realistic game play of Wii Sports™ turned parents and grandparents into gamers, and launched a new Wii-based party and fitness craze. Today Nintendo builds on the momentum with the arrival of Wii Play™, a collection of nine new games in the Wii Sports style that lets players fish, play pool or shoot targets with the motion-sensitive Wii Remote. Wii Play joins Wii Sports as the party-game centerpiece at family get-togethers and grown-up game nights. To emphasize the multiplayer nature of the game, Wii Play comes packaged with a Wii Remote. The combo could also be a great way to show your valentine how much you'd like to play together!

Wii Play includes games like Fishing, which uses the Wii Remote like a fishing rod; Billiards, which uses the Wii Remote as a pool cue; and Shooting Range, a target practice game played in the style of the classic Duck Hunt® game from the Nintendo Entertainment System®. Other games include Table Tennis (use paddles to rally for points), Charge! (control a charging cow), Tanks! (a tank battle) and Laser Hockey (use the Wii Remote as an air hockey paddle). Two games make extensive use of players' Mii™ caricatures. Pose Mii asks players to orient their Miis in a variety of different positions to match silhouettes, while Find Mii requires them to locate specific Miis within an ever-growing crowd.

"Wii Play builds on the types of games and experiences people have come to love in Wii Sports," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Millions of people around the world are recognizing Wii as the future of gaming. We are changing how people play games, who plays and how many play."

All the games in Wii Play are easy to learn and difficult to put down. Veterans and newcomers alike will discover fun and entertaining challenges that will have friends and family competing for hours on end. Core gamers can invite their non-gaming friends and relatives to give Wii Play a try, thereby bridging the gap between the two groups and expanding the world of video games to new audiences.

Wii software typically retails around $50, while the MSRP for Wii Remotes is $39.99. Wii Play, which comes packaged with a Wii Remote controller, is available at an MSRP of just $49.99. Wii Play, Rated E for Everyone, is available now. For more information about Wii Play, visit Wii.Nintendo.com

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Maximilian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Play Now Available in North America
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:17:25 PM »
Yeah, this is totally sold out.  I hunted stores up and down yesterday and everywhere I looked it was GONE.  Even websites like Ebgames.com and Bestbuy.com are backordered.  I'll have to eBay it or something.  I know it's not the best game, but I'd love to have the 4th remote and the Duck Hunt style game.  Reading this release makes me want it even more.  Some of these games sound more than alright.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 03:31:04 AM »
Crap, I wanted to pick this up too... I live in a somewhat small area, so maybe there are pockets of Wii Play left somewhere...
(crosses fingers)
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 04:36:43 AM »
Mine just arrived in the mail today.  Fearing controller shortages, I preordered back in December (when I still thought it was coming out in January).
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 05:53:50 AM »
I picked up mine today.

Thing is, I don't really need a third controller right now; I probably won't even unwrap it for a while.  I just wanted to shoot some awesome ass targets.

Anyone wanna buy a brand new controller?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Play Now Available in North America
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 07:07:48 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I picked up mine today.

Thing is, I don't really need a third controller right now; I probably won't even unwrap it for a while.  I just wanted to shoot some awesome ass targets.

Anyone wanna buy a brand new controller?

I'll give you $30. You pay for shipping.

As I was saying in the other thread, the shooting range minigame is just awesome. On my third try I got a platinum medal (603 points).. It's such a great ego boost - it really makes you think, "Damn I'm good.."

This is mainly due to the pinpoint precision and amazing speed you can shoot with. They are by far the best shooting controls I have ever experienced. When you pop two ducks with one bullet while juggling three cans in the air, it makes you feel all warm inside.

The cursor looks very similar to the star one in Mario Galaxy - I'm sure that one will be just as good.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Play Now Available in North America
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
Yikes if it is any indication there was no real shortage of the game either. About every store I went to on Monday had at least 15 copies of the game, but it must have sold out like crazy. Glad I picked it up though!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144