Author Topic: EB/GameStop Offering Import DS Games  (Read 3249 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
EB/GameStop Offering Import DS Games
« on: December 12, 2006, 08:14:06 AM »
Naruto 4 and Jump Super Stars are on the twin retailers' DS game listing.

Importing games from Japan has always been a gray area in the world of retail videogames.  Even with the game region-free Nintendo DS and PSP, companies like Nintendo and Sony tend to frown upon consumers getting games and hardware from different countries.    

It's surprising, then, to see that the online game specialty store behemoth EB Games/GameStop listing two Japanese import fighters among the other U.S. holiday releases.  Jump Super Stars and Naruto: Saikyo Ninja Daikesshu 4 are currently shown as being available for pre-ordering, though Naruto 4's ship date is listed as today, Decemeber 12.  They are also a bit pricier than standard DS games, respectively weighing in at $49.99 and $39.99.    

There's a chance this offer may just be for EB/GS to test the import waters.  There's a possibility they'll simply cancel any pre-orders if interest isn't high, but then again they maybe wouldn't have listed the games unless they intended on selling them.  Will the allure of import games from a mainstream retailer get more people to try out Japanese games?  Who knows.  If you want to get them, you can order them directly from EB Games or GameStop.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:EB/GameStop Offering Import DS Games
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
This sounds like a great idea.  It's a nice way for them to make some extra money and hopefully it will differentiate them from the competitors such as Best Buy and Wal Mart in the eyes of consumers.  It might even generate some good will from gamers who hate EB/GameStop.

Add Rhythm Tengoku to the list!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: EB/GameStop Offering Import DS Games
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:14:01 AM »
I saw Jump Super Stars at Best Buy on Wii Day.  I thought it was odd, but perhaps major U.S. retailers are starting to see the dollar signs in importing games.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:38:10 AM »
Yeah I went to Best Buy to look what type of stock they  had left. And was surprised that they were carring the title. So I bought it, and boy it wasn't cheep.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
Yeah my local Best Boy has had those two titles for the last two months now.  I remember how surprised I was when I first saw them there.  Of course I already imported Jump Superstars over a year ago so it didn't really effect me that much.  But in the future this should be nice since importing DS games online usally cost around 60 dollars after shipping, I can save 10-20 dollars now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 01:16:55 PM »
Give me Rhythm Tengoku, the Bit Generations Series, and Chousouju Mecha DS please.  

I froth for those, and I asked for them for Xmicus, but I don't think I'm getting any of them.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 04:52:55 PM »
Luckily the independant game store on my route of going home offers import games at 25.99 - 69.99 at the  price range. And these games can be anything from GBA to X360. The store prices it 5 dollars more than the distributor charges them for the game itself so its not that bad at all considering the japanese games are considered custom ordered.

The import games EB/GS offers now is very sparse considering I just got jump for 49.99 and after 3.5% tax it was 51.74 which is much cheaper, faster and conveniant for me vs some place like play-asia.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Maximilian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 03:04:04 AM »
Yup, Best Buy has been carrying Jump Super Stars for awhile.  Interesting indeed!  I hope this trend continues, especially after the closing of Lik-Sang.  I've been to game stores that have imports but they're usually mom & pop type operations.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:34:44 AM »
I wish they'd do that here but I'm 100% sure NoE would sue them or try some more illegal tactics to stop them. Only imports I've ever seen were some UK games in the KaDeWe (stuff like Darwinia) and Berlin's a bit far from where I live. I don't think they even had Phoenix Wright.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 06:07:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Luckily the independant game store on my route of going home offers import games at 25.99 - 69.99 at the  price range. And these games can be anything from GBA to X360. The store prices it 5 dollars more than the distributor charges them for the game itself so its not that bad at all considering the japanese games are considered custom ordered.

The import games EB/GS offers now is very sparse considering I just got jump for 49.99 and after 3.5% tax it was 51.74 which is much cheaper, faster and conveniant for me vs some place like play-asia.

Darn you and your 3.5% tax.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 02:50:04 PM »
Yeah I have 5.5% here 5.0% in the county I usually buy my games. (In winter the extra .5 tax is noticable since the county added it pay for road up keep. The plows go out right away stay out and put plenty (too much) salt on the road so you can tell when you enter and leave the county.

It's good for me it just give me more places to buy games for and import at that. So color me happy.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.