Author Topic: Episode 443: Autumn of Too Many Leaves  (Read 9251 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 443: Autumn of Too Many Leaves
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 07:05:20 AM »
Yeah, although I still have my original controllers in nice condition. It's worth having the system to play games that aren't available elsewhere and accurately.

Plus I have the Hori Mini controllers, good condition original controllers, along with some custom PCB's for the GameCube style stick replacement. Makes them very close to the N64 stick, but won't wear out.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »
No way guys. Playing on an actual N64 is not a good solution because those joysticks on the controllers just wear out and have to be replaced

I opened up my controller and added machine grease to the sticks which help give the sticks a much much much longer life.

It's for purist for sure though but I love it.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
N64 games can look great if given an upscale and or polish. The Banjo games on 360 are largely untouched graphically, aside from a few textures, widescreen and framerate and look really good.

Wii U N64 VC isn't great, but for a casual audience of the system perfectly playable, Wii VC does look nicer though. The main reason to possibly look into going the real hardware route for N64 is simply because many of the games will likely never be re-released, especially on Nintendo platforms.

Not a cheap option though.

I use the actual system still. The games look great on crt TV and s cable and the n64 has a big library that is still not available anywhere else. Sure Nintendo and rare games are covered but that system had a ton of other great games

Silicon Valley how I love thee.

That's why I have been buying/collecting and setting up my N64 for optimal output :) . I currently use an RGB modded system on a Sony PVM CRT. A friend of mine has an XRGB Mini and the N64 looks great on that, HDTV's suck at upscaling. I'll be looking into the HDMI board mod as well for the easiest and best output for the system.

That said, its not for everyone and even the Wii U versions are okay for most, even if they do look worse.

Yeah you have a great set up. I thought about forever to get a my N64 modded again for the progressive image but I have a CRT Sony TV that’s great and I have the monster S cable that works on the N64 and SNES. The S cable gives me a nice balance of that olds school CRT look but also very clear you know. I think I’ll stick to that.

But yes N64 games on HDTV’s using anything but a modded system can be a pain due to TV’s sucking at upscaling.

Ironic that DK country on VC on my HDTV looks meh but on my CRT tv that game looks absolutely stunning. HDTV’s do a disservice to some games.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »
Yeah, although I still have my original controllers in nice condition. It's worth having the system to play games that aren't available elsewhere and accurately.

Plus I have the Hori Mini controllers, good condition original controllers, along with some custom PCB's for the GameCube style stick replacement. Makes them very close to the N64 stick, but won't wear out.

I wanted a hori controller but they are expensive now.

I just grease up my controllers or get the ebay sticks which kind of suck.

It's better for me to buy original controllers which good to great sticks and preserve them with grease.

I have a box full of sticks.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the N64 stick advice. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 12:59:08 PM »
Funny you mention DKC. As you mentioned SNES DKC on CRT looks good and VC version on HDTV looks meh...I can agree, but if you plug your SNES into your HDTV via the composite cables it came with then DKC literally looks like vomit

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
Funny you mention DKC. As you mentioned SNES DKC on CRT looks good and VC version on HDTV looks meh...I can agree, but if you plug your SNES into your HDTV via the composite cables it came with then DKC literally looks like vomit

Yeah I would imagine cause the DKC on the VC is in 480P and the SNES can only do 200 something in resolution I think and I don’t think.

What’s cool is that if you plug in the Wii/Wii U in an old CRT TV using S cable/Component cables then those VC games look really good too!

Is kind of backwards thinking but whatever makes those old gems shine. : )

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
I think the type of TV matters for old games too. I have a plasma TV, and old games look much better on it than they do on any LCD screen. There are several reasons for this, as a plasma has more similarities to a CRT with its glass screen, great contrast, deep black levels, etc. It also has much less latency than LCD, so no perceptible controller lag. Adjusting things like the sharpness level on a game-to-game basis can also help.

While any good-quality flat-screen CRT will always be best for old games (which I still have and sometime use), SNES and N64 games still look surprisingly decent on my plasma, enough that I often play them there for convenience. Plus, the select few N64 games that support widescreen look quite nice in 16:9. NES remains crap on it, though.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »
I think the type of TV matters for old games too. I have a plasma TV, and old games look much better on it than they do on any LCD screen. There are several reasons for this, as a plasma has more similarities to a CRT with its glass screen, great contrast, deep black levels, etc. It also has much less latency than LCD, so no perceptible controller lag. Adjusting things like the sharpness level on a game-to-game basis can also help.

While any good-quality flat-screen CRT will always be best for old games (which I still have and sometime use), SNES and N64 games still look surprisingly decent on my plasma, enough that I often play them there for convenience. Plus, the select few N64 games that support widescreen look quite nice in 16:9. NES remains crap on it, though.

My NES has the composite cables. that helps.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
I have those too, but the NES just has such huge, chunky pixels that it will always look like junk on a big screen.