Author Topic: Metriod Prime Hunters II?  (Read 6323 times)

Offline ARO

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metriod Prime Hunters II?
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:52:55 AM »
The are rumors going around that Nintendo is making a Metroid Prime Hunters II; is this true?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Metriod Prime Hunters II?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:09:14 AM »
First I've heard of it.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »
I hope so
But I would rather have another 2D Metroid game first
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »
Let's get a real Metroid game first.  The fans that made Metroid a successful IP in the first place deserve it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:55:12 PM »
I agree. Metroid is best as the 2D kind of game it started out as. I mean, it isn't bad as a 3D FPS or anything, but I think Nintendo should introduce an entirely new franchise to compete with Halo type games and allow Metroid to be what it started out as.

I'm thinking maybe it isn't the 3Dness of the newer Metroid games that is necessarily the problem; but rather the FPS aspect of it. Mario and Zelda both turned out extremely well after making the transition from 2D to 3D, but could you imagine Super Mario 64 being from the first person perspective? What about a first person Ocarine of Time? I don't think either would have worked out as well. Maybe it is just me, but I like controlling my character AND being able to see the character from a third person perspective. It is just less complicated for me. So I wouldn't really mind a 3D Metroid, but I don't like the FPS. Will Metroid fans ever get this experience that Zelda and Mario fans have known for a decade?

Super Metroid for the SNES is up there on my top 10 list of greatest games of all time. I wish they would make another one like it. I suppose there would be some interesting new things you could do with the stylus to solve puzzles or to program your weapons/suit configuration.... or if you're in ball mode you could draw your path? *shrug* I dunno, but even if there is no touch screen support, a Super Metroid-esque game is long overdue, imho.

It would also be cool if there were a Metroid RPG game, ala Super Mario RPG. But I suppose that's for another thread.
is your sanity...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 04:30:48 AM »
First person has been perfect for the games, Nintendo thinking they have some sort of "halo" in Metroid is what is wrong about it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 05:21:50 AM »
The Halo effect was of our creation, not Nintendos. We did it because we were desperate for some killer app in the FPS genere to rescue the Gamecube from it's spiral into a whimper. We wanted our Goldeneye, our Perfect Dark to give meaning to the Gamecube and recrown the Nintendo console as the king of console FPS. The so called killer app. Every FPS at the time was in one way or another was labeled a Halo killer.

Fighting to beat Halo is like racing to get to last place. Why go there.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 06:27:38 AM »
"I'm thinking maybe it isn't the 3Dness of the newer Metroid games that is necessarily the problem; but rather the FPS aspect of it."

Are you lumping the main Metroid Prime series in this group because I find those games to be dead-on Metroid.  It's only Hunters that I don't like.

"The Halo effect was of our creation, not Nintendos. We did it because we were desperate for some killer app in the FPS genere to rescue the Gamecube from it's spiral into a whimper. We wanted our Goldeneye, our Perfect Dark to give meaning to the Gamecube and recrown the Nintendo console as the king of console FPS. The so called killer app. Every FPS at the time was in one way or another was labeled a Halo killer."

How is that our fault?  I wanted a good FPS exclusive on the Cube.  When did I say I wanted Metroid Prime to be that FPS?  There was no reason for those to be grouped together.  The people who wanted Metroid Prime to be an FPS were idiots who were not Metroid fans and couldn't get their head around the idea of a game that is shown from a first person perspective with shooting involved that didn't play like a typical FPS (hell I don't consider Metroid Prime to be an FPS at all).  It doesn't help that some of these morons worked for major gaming media outlets.  Had Nintendo either given us some sort of real FPS before Metroid Prime or had one in the works at the time all of this "WHA??  WHERE'S DEATHMATCH?!" crap wouldn't have happened.

Besides when it comes to telling companies what they want most people are morons who either don't really know what they want or lack the ability to put it into words.  How often do you hear people say they want a remake of X or they want all these things to return in a sequel?  Those people REALLY want a sequel that makes them feel like they did when the first game came out but they don't quite understand that so they ask for all the stuff they like to reappear.  No one really wants Yoshi.  They think they do but what they really want is the same magical feeling that Yoshi gave them when Yoshi as a new creative idea.  When making a sequel it's the developers job to figure out what the fans really want since giving them exactly what they want will result in cookie-cutter crap that runs out of steam too quickly.  So when a bunch of jerks complain that Metroid Prime doesn't play like Halo Nintendo needs to interpret that correctly.  It doesn't mean "make a Metroid FPS".  It means "make an FPS because Cube owners don't have one".  Few who actually seemed to be familiar with Metroid seemed to complain about any of that.  You have to cure the disease, not the symptoms.

Plus responding to Cube owners complaining about no FPS by making one for the DS doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  It did show exactly where Nintendo's priorities were though.

"Fighting to beat Halo is like racing to get to last place. Why go there."

It's just canceling out exclusives.  It allows loyal owners of your console to get something similar so that they can have a certain genre available to them without buying another console.  Back when Sega gave Nintendo a run for their money they were REALLY good at this.  Nintendo has Final Fantasy so Sega has Phantasy Star.  Nintendo has Final Fight so Sega has Streets of Rage.  One could own just a Genesis and still have plenty to play in virtually all genres.  Nintendo sucks at this.  Since the N64 it's not uncommon for whole genres to be almost completely absent on a Nintendo console, because Nintendo makes no effort to fill in the gaps and cancel out competitor's exclusives.  Nintendo didn't have to make a better game than Halo or a more successful one.  They just had to make something so that Cube fans could get their FPS fix and not feel like they had to buy an Xbox to fulfill their gaming needs.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 06:37:17 AM »
Meh. I was never able to "get into" MP:H.

But on the note of cancelling exclusives, it's interesting to note that this is exactly what Sony accomplished with the PS2 against Mario: Jak & Daxter, Rachet & Clank, etc.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Metriod Prime Hunters II?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Are you lumping the main Metroid Prime series in this group because I find those games to be dead-on Metroid.  It's only Hunters that I don't like.

Exactly.  Hunters isn't any more of a Metroid game than Super Smash Bros. is.

I hope they don't make another Hunters.  I really don't want them to dilute the Metroid series to death like they have with Mario.
GOREGASM!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:55 AM »
"Let's get a real Metroid game first. The fans that made Metroid a successful IP in the first place deserve it."

Let's start by beating Metroid Prime 2, first.  Ian.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
I'd rather see Metroid Prime Pinball 2. :B
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline ARO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »
I thinkif there was a Metroid Prime Hunters II, it should have Metroids in the game!!!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 05:39:33 AM »
Instead of Hunters 2 I'd rather see Metroid Dread. Hunters definitely didn't do it for me. It's too bad they focused their efforts on making the game an FPS rather than a Prime side story with Prime-style gameplay.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ARO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »
I am still wondering...Why is it called "Metroid" Prime Hunters...If there were not any Metroids in the game?
Side Note: Also, Metroid Prime was the final boss on Metroid Prime; besides the Phason, there is not a single thing in common in any of these games.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 05:42:54 AM »
"I am still wondering...Why is it called "Metroid" Prime Hunters...If there were not any Metroids in the game?"

Same reason why the game is called "Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening" when it doesn't have Zelda in it - "Metroid" is the franchise name.  "Samus Aran's Funtastic Shootathon" probably wouldn't have sold as well.

Offline ARO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 07:38:40 AM »

"I am still wondering...Why is it called "Metroid" Prime Hunters...If there were not any Metroids in the game?"

Same reason why the game is called "Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening" when it doesn't have Zelda in it - "Metroid" is the franchise name.  "Samus Aran's Funtastic Shootathon" probably wouldn't have sold as well.

Good Point. But still...

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 06:20:45 AM »
To echo others, Hunters sucked and I want a real Metroid game on the DS. A Zero Mission-esque remake of Metroid 2 would be interesting...  

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
I'd prefer to get another new game before another remake.
GOREGASM!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 10:28:56 PM »

Let's get a real Metroid game first.  The fans that made Metroid a successful IP in the first place deserve it.

I agree. Bring on Metroid Prime Pinball 2!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 05:08:34 AM »
"A Zero Mission-esque remake of Metroid 2 would be interesting..."

I would prefer a new game first but this would interest me.  I've tried many times to play through Metroid II.  I always find it really fun for the first few hours or so but eventually the lack of a map and the fact that everything is in black & white just make it too difficult for me to remember where I still have to go.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 06:41:43 AM »
Yeah, I never actually beat Metroid II. I think I would need to use a player guide or something... it's just too easy to get lost in it. It is an awesome game, though.
is your sanity...

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:39 AM »

"Samus Aran's Funtastic Shootathon"

i want this game

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 05:51:33 AM »

Originally posted by: ARO
I thinkif there was a Metroid Prime Hunters II, it should have Metroids in the game!!!

I have the demo and there were metroids in it, so the final game ended up without them? I didn't know.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline nintendo_star

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 08:15:21 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

Originally posted by: ARO

I have the demo and there were metroids in it, so the final game ended up without them? I didn't know.

It did not have Metroids in it; why not?
Nintendo is the brightest star.