Author Topic: New Soul Calibur for Wii  (Read 9490 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
New Soul Calibur for Wii
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:05:25 AM »
The soul still burns for Nintendo fans. Updated with a little more information.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13433

Update: 1UP has uncovered a little more information about Legends.  The game looks like it will actually be a third-person adventure game set in the Soul Calibur universe, and not a traditional fighting game.  The story will play a major part in the game, involving a lot of characters from games past, along with new characters.    

The game will also have an experience system of sorts.  As players defeat enemies, they can gain new titles and learn new moves.    

NWR will have more information on this intriguing game in the SC series as soon as we can get our hands on it.    

Original Story:    

Soul Calibur 2 was one of the only multiplatform games to sell better on GameCube than on PS2 or Xbox, but Namco still decided to make Soul Calibur 3 a PS2-exclusive.  There is very little information on in at this time, but Namco Bandai is creating a new fighting game called Soul Calibur Legends for Wii.    

Famitsu has no screenshots in its report, but the magazine does say that the game takes place in the 16th century and that it will bring together characters from the entire Soul Calibur series.  Legends will feature motion controls for sword-fighting.  There is currently no release date.    

Ryan Winterhalter contributed to this report.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: New Soul Calibur for Wii
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:16:37 AM »
Gimme Talim, please!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
RE:New Soul Calibur for Wii
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:17:51 AM »
I read else where this might not be a fighting game, but an action adventure game. We'll see what happens, I do prefer a fighting game, but the more support the better.

And besides we will most likely get the next fighting instalment any way if this isnt it. The Wii's sales are to big to pass up.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:21:19 AM »
You are correct, this is an action/adventure game...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »
Because adventure games based on fighting game franchises have such a glorious history.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:56:39 AM »
Could be good though having it not be a fighting game gives me the fear that this is the patented Wii-specific spinoff while the "real" Soul Calibur games go on the PS3 and/or Xbox 360.  I would be more confident of the Wii's third party support if the main series of franchises were getting annouced as exclusives.  That's why Dragon Quest IX was such a big deal on the DS.  It wasn't Dragon Quest Swords or Monsters or whatever it was the main Dragon Quest series.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 06:16:49 AM »

Originally posted by: NewsBot
The game will also have an experience system of sorts.  As players defeat enemies, they can gain new titles and learn new moves.  

I hope Mega Man is an unlockable character.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 06:47:20 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Because adventure games based on fighting game franchises have such a glorious history.

Doesn't really say much considering the fighting games that spawned adventure games weren't very good to begin with...

Originally posted by: IanSane
Could be good though having it not be a fighting game gives me the fear that this is the patented Wii-specific spinoff while the "real" Soul Calibur games go on the PS3 and/or Xbox 360.

Thinking this game might not be good because it's a "spinoff" is pretty baseless, particularly considering it's the actual Soul Calibur team working on it...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 06:58:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

What the heck.  Mega Man is Capcom...not Namco.  Is this a wierd joke about people wanting 3rd party characters in Brawl.

But, you know...it would kick major butt if Link was a hidden character in this game.  Adventure is Link's middle name.

Offline vherub

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 07:22:23 AM »
I'm staying positive, the art direction of the soul series has always been underappreciated.
And Midway's failures shouldn't affect my enthusiasm...though it still does.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

Originally posted by: Crimm

What the heck.  Mega Man is Capcom...not Namco.  Is this a wierd joke about people wanting 3rd party characters in Brawl.

But, you know...it would kick major butt if Link was a hidden character in this game.  Adventure is Link's middle name.

Great, now all I need is his last name to finish this puzzle.  *scribble scribble*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »
I liked the "adventure mode" in Soul Callibur 2 (or whatever it was called). Maybe it'll similar to that? Time will tell.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:54:25 AM »
I think it's fitting. For a main series Soul Calibur title you couldn't implement Wii controls because then the fans would scream bloody murder, in a spinoff you can have direct blade control without anyone claiming you destroyed the core gameplay of SC (and you have to stay reasonably far away from the main gameplay to avoid comparisons). With all the extra "adventure" modes they've been putting in SC2 (and presumably 3) it feels like they wanted to make an adventure beforehand but the game engine of SC was too limited to tell a proper story. I don't know if they'll make anything good out of it but I don't think it's doomed yet.

If you want Megaman and Soul Calibur in one game play Namco X Capcom.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I think it's fitting. For a main series Soul Calibur title you couldn't implement Wii controls because then the fans would scream bloody murder, in a spinoff you can have direct blade control without anyone claiming you destroyed the core gameplay of SC (and you have to stay reasonably far away from the main gameplay to avoid comparisons). With all the extra "adventure" modes they've been putting in SC2 (and presumably 3) it feels like they wanted to make an adventure beforehand but the game engine of SC was too limited to tell a proper story. I don't know if they'll make anything good out of it but I don't think it's doomed yet.

If you want Megaman and Soul Calibur in one game play Namco X Capcom.

I disagree, Mortal Kombat, DBZ, Guilty Gear, all are adding motion controls (inovative) while leaving classic control methods on the classic controller and gamecube controller to please the hardcore, I do not see why this couldnt have been done.  Hopefully a true Soul Calibur fighting game will come down the line, as for now I will be cautiously optimistic.  Cassandra better be in this .

And Namco X Capcom was mediocre at best, however their sprites make awesome Mugen characters, I can successfully say that Kos Mos is more kick ass than Chunli.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:20:11 AM »
Maybe Namco doesn't feel like going down the same road? I haven't heard about GG's motion control but neither DBZ nor MK is a franchise where people care much about the gameplay.

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

what? you mean Street Fighter 2010 isn't on your top ten list?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »
Why the f*ck can't companies just put games on the Wii, instead of sh!tty spinoff games that nobody wants to play?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »
let the bodies hit the floor let the bodies hit the floor
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »
Let's put it this way: It can't be any worse than Death by Degrees....

Legends will feature motion controls for sword-fighting.

First No More Heroes, now this. Hey Lucasarts, you listening? Where's the obligatory Lightsaber game?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36:02 PM »
Hmmm.... I guess I'd hit it.

Sorta OT, but I actually got to play SC .. 3? on a friend's PS2 waaay long ago... Create-A-Fighter was coooool.... any chance I could get that fature on a Wii game?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
MK is supposed to have a create a character right?

Anyways I'd much prefer a real SC game, heck I wouldn't mind SC3 ported over (ps2 broke ages ago )

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »
Some already mentioned it, but I'm getting a lot of "Death By Nine Degrees" flashbacks right now.
In some ways this a perfect example of the problem Nintendo is facing.

Almost any tradional hardcore game done on the Wii can be done on the PS3 or 360 so we get the experimential "spin-off".
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 06:43:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Galford
Almost any tradional hardcore game done on the Wii can be done on the PS3 or 360 so we get the experimential "spin-off".

Yes. So in addition to getting this spinoff game, the Wii will be getting SC4. What's the problem again?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 03:57:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Galford
Some already mentioned it, but I'm getting a lot of "Death By Nine Degrees" flashbacks right now.
In some ways this a perfect example of the problem Nintendo is facing.

Ugh, once again I'll say: Tekken and Death By Degrees were done by DIFFERENT TEAMS...Soul Calibur Legends is being done by the SOUL CALIBUR TEAM (not an outsourced spinoff, this is the MAIN TEAM)...The fact that the game is being done by the team the series was created by should already be more than enough to alleviate concerns...

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 04:03:37 AM »
After the abomination that was Soul Calibur 3, I would rather them make a game like this, maybe they'd do better with something like this than another fighter where you can glitch the game by cancelling a throw animation while the person being thrown is still in it.  I guess the only minor issue that may come up is if they decide to chibi everything.