Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718130 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 01, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Actually, it was Capcom that made those games.  Many of those Disney games by Capcom were really good.  You'll even hear Ian praising Duck Tales (NES) sometimes.

Yes, Capcom made a lot of great Disney titles up even into the 16 bit era. There is of course Duck Tales and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, but also games like Duck Tales 2 (a late NES title, but a great one), Darkwing Duck, Aladdin for the SNES and Mickey's Magical Quest (both of which got re-released on the GBA). There were some not so great titles as well of course, like TaleSpin, and some only decent ones, like Disney: Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, but all around their Disney offerings have provided a lot of good memories and I would gladly buy a lot of those on the VC if they were to ever become available.

Hopefully, with Capcom already on board and Buena Vista starting up their own Wii dev house, it might become reality one day.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 01, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Originally posted by: ArtimusYou'll even hear Ian praising Duck Tales (NES) sometimes.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate Duck Tales has no heart.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #227 on: January 01, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
Or no NES.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 01, 2007, 10:29:30 PM »
No, even if you have no NES, Duck Tales ownz you. If you don't sleep, it ownz you. If you don't blink, it ownz you. There are a total number of 4 different ways in which Duck Tales will NOT ownz joo out of the vastly incalculable realm of unviersal probabilities.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline batmaniswatching

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2007, 07:38:30 AM »
Hey is there anywhere on the nintendoworldreport site where you can just see a list of all the virtual console reviews (or even better, just a list of whether they're recommended or not, and then a link where you can click through to the review for more info)?  Am I missing this somewhere?  I won't have my Wii for a couple months probably, and I'd like to go through and see the recommendations in an easy format then so I can blow all of my money, but not blow all of my money, if you know what I mean.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2007, 08:00:13 AM »
Chip n' Dale was immensely easy 1 player but nigh-impossible 2 player.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »
Why the heck doesn't Nintendo of America let us know in advance what games will be coming out on Monday. What's the deal with that?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
How much you want to bet the majority of us will be disappointed today?
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
That bet is entirely subjective and yet I still feel safe taking it...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2007, 06:37:31 PM »
Do we have ANY idea of what we're getting? I have a few hundred points left to burn!

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2007, 11:14:14 PM »
How much you wanna bet they're going to release Super Mario All-Stars, Link to the Past, Wave Race 64, and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron? Those exact four games.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2007, 12:41:07 AM »
Here is what we are getting:

Gradius (NES)
Soldier Blade (TGX)
Dungeon  Explorer (TGX)

Not sure if I have played any of those games.

Edit: After looking at some pics I have played and beaten Gradium, but I recall it not being that great compared to Life Force aka Salamander.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2007, 01:48:27 AM »

Originally posted by: MorningStar
How much you wanna bet they're going to release Super Mario All-Stars, Link to the Past, Wave Race 64, and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron? Those exact four games.

I would have then said, "Excellent: tempting fate really DOES work!"

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »
Ahh, Gradius!

/Me hasn't played this in ages!

Sorry, /Me = old MIRC habit, which I also have not been on in ages  .

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2007, 04:16:04 AM »
Gradius, eh?

I remember playing Life Force a bazillion times.  Go, Konami Code!  I don't remember if it worked in Gradius but that game seemed a lot harder, and I'm sure I played Life Force before Gradius.  Didn't you have to start the stage over in Gradius instead of continuing where you were like in Life Force?  Or was that just because I always played Life Force as 2-player simultaneous?

Soon maybe we'll get Contra and CastleVania.  Go, Konami.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2007, 04:25:59 AM »
gradius is a freakin classic. I hope they release gradius III for SNES soon as well.  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2007, 04:32:30 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Gradius (NES)
Soldier Blade (TGX)
Dungeon  Explorer (TGX)

Just 3 games? What about SNES, Genesis and N64? The VC is something that should never see a drought...

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2007, 04:52:04 AM »
Weird, Dungeon Explorer doesn't show up under new games, but it's in the TurboGrfx section.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2007, 05:54:52 AM »
Anyone know if Dungeon Explorer was blessed with the save game feature from the Sega CD version or is it still password based?

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2007, 06:16:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Gradius (NES)
Soldier Blade (TGX)
Dungeon  Explorer (TGX)

Just 3 games? What about SNES, Genesis and N64? The VC is something that should never see a drought...

If it was not for competition, and Nintendo where not dead last...we wouldn't even have SEEN the virtual console.  We'd still have 20 year old systems and wires sitting around collecting dust, so I'm thankfull we got it at all. I can finally throw away my Nomad when those Genesis games are released .

Gradius is a great game, although I dont' ever remember getting past the first level, thanks to those stupid volcanoes in the first one getting my lives down to nothing .

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2007, 06:23:17 AM »
"If it was not for competition, and Nintendo where not dead last...we wouldn't even have SEEN the virtual console."

I doubt that.  It's such an obviously good idea I can't imagine a company intentionally not doing it.  The only reason it has taken this long is because the Wii is Nintendo's first console to go online in a serious manner.  The second they had the ability to do it they did it, which makes sense.

Hell if Nintendo had done better the last two generations the VC lineup would be better, due to a better N64 selection.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2007, 06:43:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Hell if Nintendo had done better the last two generations the VC lineup would be better, due to a better N64 selection.

We've discussed this several times before but Rare(ware)'s absence from the VC hurts the N64 section even more.  Sure, there's more to the N64 than Rare but their ten or so games were among the best, or at least best-selling.  (Funnily enough, Killer Instinct Gold isn't listed on their Wikipedia article...I'll add that in a second.)  Nintendo still owns the rights to Donkey Kong 64 (I actually enjoyed this) and last we heard, Reggie was saying they ought to work out the rights to GoldenEye 007.  But that still leaves several games that ought to be rereleased in some fashion.

I'd look forward to Rare's N64 games rather than Nintendo's.  Aside from the fact that I already own the Nintendo ones, I don't feel like playing Super Mario 64 yet again (I played it a few times, not to mention SM64 DS), The Legend Of Zelda games again (Hello, Collectors Edition Disc), or a Rumble Pak-less Star Fox 64.  Though I suppose Kirby 64 and Paper Mario are more fresh, and I didn't originally own them, hmmm.

If I'm forgetting Nintendo's own games then there ought to be more N64 games on the VC to remind me what they are.  I know I could go for some Mischief Makers right about now...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2007, 07:19:40 AM »
I think Nintendo itself is focused on getting as many mediocre NES games out the door as possible so that they aren't overshadowed by newer/better games.  It's not a perfect strategy, but it makes some sense.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2007, 07:23:48 AM »
It's a strategy that serves Nintendo instead of the buyer, and I'm genuinely not fond of such strategies.

I will be buying Mario RPG when it comes out because I've heard such great things about it and it will last me long enough to be worth my entertainment dollar.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2007, 07:23:52 AM »
Gradius is the first game that I played and learned about the Konami code.  I think it came out earlier than Life Force.

My question is which game is the first game to use the Konami code.  Most say it was Contra but, I always thought it was Gradius, but that is just from my own experience.