Author Topic: Nintendo's Expansion Ports  (Read 20992 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo's Expansion Ports
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
I never experienced any lag with my Game Boy Player.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 12:56:52 AM »
I've read many times that Game Boy Player is kinda laggy. Is this true?

I've only had one such experience... kinda.

Back in the day, when I was running a solo-GameCube, a friend brought his over along with his Game Boy Player.  We hooked them up and played some Four Swords (GBA) on the big screen.  It was awesome.

Anyway, during one round, we came "desynched" - the Links on both screens would still respond to their respective controls, but they weren't in the same spot... so I could be walking up a path on my screen and be walking into a wall on his screen.  Likewise, he could pick me up on his screen and I'd be running around like nothing was wrong on mine.

The /official/ word from Nintendo is that you're not supposed to link Game Boy Players together...  but I've done it many times and this is the *only* time I've ever had a problem with the Game Boy Player - in any fashion.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 01:21:27 AM »
Oh wow, Warp Pipe and the LAN adapter. Never got a version of Warp Pipe to work right... something about the lappy I was using at the time... so long ago.

Never could get into PSO. Played it a few times but it seemed to mostly be people standing around chatting. No thanks. Plus it was a SEGA game and SEGA games *suck*!  ;D
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »
Now that internet speeds are faster, we should try to get a Double Dash Warp Pipe tournament going.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:22 AM »
Now that internet speeds are faster, we should try to get a Double Dash Warp Pipe tournament going.

Totally up for trying that sometime.  Lord knows it went... poorly the last time I tried.

I don't know about a "tournament" though - we'll be lucky to get two people connected. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »
It'd be cool if someone had come up with a Homebrew Channel hack that lets GameCube games see the Wii's Wi-Fi as a broadband adaptor. I'd imagine that would up the numbers we could pull in for such an event.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 02:28:35 AM »
If by "come up with a hack," you mean "write an operating system..."
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 02:32:26 AM »
If by "come up with a hack," you mean "write an operating system..."

For those who dabble in such things, does anyone know if the GameCube emulator for the PC does LAN Modes on compatible games?  And not Online where the second player is the second controller - but actually supportive of the LAN modes built into the games?

Would it be possible to write a GCN emulator for the Wii?  Is the Wii actually powerful enough for such a thing?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 02:38:57 AM »
Fun Fact: Since we're kind of on the subject.

For those who have never seen it, in Mario Kart: Double Dash, the LAN Mode is a selection on the main menu screen - it only appears of you have a LAN Adapter in your GameCube.

What's really fun though - the Demo Disc (the ones for the in-store demo units) that contains a Mario Kart: Double Dash preview... the LAN Option shows up on that menu - again, only if you have a LAN Adapter installed... but you can't select it at all.  Just kinda neat.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
Would it be possible to write a GCN emulator for the Wii?  Is the Wii actually powerful enough for such a thing?
No, at 1.5x specs of the GC, the Wii is far too weak to emulate the GC (a rule of thumb used to be that you'd need at least 10x power, and that would be with speed hacks). Instead, you'd need to rewrite the GC BIOS to take into account the additional hardware and emulate the LAN adapter. However, that additional hardware part is non-trivial because you'd have to write drivers for the Wii security and I/O systems, which the GC BIOS doesn't know exist. Going in the other direction, you might be able to run the GC game as Wii software, with hooks patched in memory to deal with the network and any Wii-isms. In either case, it would involve massive architecting that would be hard even if all of the technical information was publicly available.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:56:01 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
No, at 1.5x specs of the GC,

Didn't Iwata or someone else at Nintendo say the Wii was 2 to 3 times more powerful than the GC?
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
It doesn't matter what they said. The Wii CPU and GPUs are clocked at 1.5x the GC, and the memory was roughly doubled (it's more complicated than that).
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »
wonder hiw many times more powerful the Wii U will be over the Wii?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
well considering I think someone said next E3 you'll see the more final design of the Wii U, I hope it has an expansion port, so it is future proofed. I had forgot about the GameCube's port, and that I actually used it for the GBA player. The Wii was future proofed as well in the controllers, but not the system itself.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
The Wii U has USB ports, which is the modern version of expansion ports (unfortunately, Nintendo didn't do much with them on the Wii).
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
I learnt a lot from this feature, very interesting stuff here!
I'm especially into the SNES and N64 stuff, gotta love those add-ons!

Big thanks to Danny for digging up all this info and putting all in an easy to read manner, makes life easy for lazy people like me!  ;D
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
We should really try a Warp Pipe Mario Kart match up.  Who's in?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
We should really try a Warp Pipe Mario Kart match up.  Who's in?
Maybe if I can find all my stuff.

Oh wow, Warp Pipe and the LAN adapter. Never got a version of Warp Pipe to work right... something about the lappy I was using at the time... so long ago.

Never could get into PSO. Played it a few times but it seemed to mostly be people standing around chatting. No thanks. Plus it was a SEGA game and SEGA games *suck*!  ;D
That annoyed me about PSO.  When you found a group that wanted to play the game then it was great.  I'm glad the Monster Hunter Community isn't super chatty like the PSO one was.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
The Wii U has USB ports, which is the modern version of expansion ports (unfortunately, Nintendo didn't do much with them on the Wii).

But you can't add more RAM to a system via a USB port, can you? Yet the N64 had an expansion port which allowed just that, and Nintendo released the RAM pack so it actually happened. It might not be a bad idea for Nintendo to include a port in the Wii U to allow the RAM to be expanded at some future point so that it can remain competitive against the PS4/420.

If that can be done via a USB port, then fine, but everything I know or think I know about USB leads me to believe it isn't really capable of that so some other sort of port is required.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 12:22:11 AM »
If the Wii U had a a spot for an internal HDD then it it would be the modern day equivalnet of the N64 memory expansion pack and port.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
If the Wii U had a a spot for an internal HDD then it it would be the modern day equivalnet of the N64 memory expansion pack and port.

Wrong kind of memory expansion.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »
What BnM said.

But I would also like to see a port or slot or drive bay or whatever you call it for an internal HDD to be added if the user so desires. I understand if Nintendo doesn't want to bundle a $50 HDD in the system by default in order to cut costs, but it would be nice if the option existed for users to add one in themselves. The PS2 was that way, so its not like that is unprecedented.

But yes, that is separate from the RAM which would be nice if that could also be upgraded later on.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:05:45 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »
Ram can't be added vi any cost effective standard connector, I think Infiniband and like is fast enough.

I have mixed feelings about RAM upgrades in consoles.  Harddrive style space is sort of a non-issue but, RAM starts diversifying the spec and makes moving targets for developers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Any game which would require a RAM upgrade could come bundled with the RAM upgrade. That's how it was with the N64 games which required the RAM Pak. I'm not sure how much a RAM module would cost, but hopefully it could be manageable.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Any game which would require a RAM upgrade could come bundled with the RAM upgrade. That's how it was with the N64 games which required the RAM Pak. I'm not sure how much a RAM module would cost, but hopefully it could be manageable.
That's partially it.  I mean Capcom is citing a slightly bigger cart for RE:Rev as the $10 premium reason.  Which is bull but, think if you had to pack in something else.  Not to mention if its popular we as gamers have 10 or so of them.  Not good for the environment.

In theory that's great but in Practice its Wii Motion+.