The Game Developers Choice award ceremony was held Wednesday night at the GDC. Who were the winners and who got snubbed?
Wednesday night at the GDC, the International Game Developer's Association hosted the 4th annual Game Developers Choice award ceremony. The awards serve as the ultimate in peer recognition, as it is the members of the game development community who acknowledge the very best of the past year's games.
This year's big winner was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Lucas Arts/Bioware) which received the awards for Game of the Year, Original Game Character of the Year (HK-47), and Excellence in Writing. Ubi Soft's multiplatform hit, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, also did well by winning the awards for Excellence in Game Design and Excellence in Programming.
As for games exclusive to Nintendo's consoles, Capcom's Viewtiful Joe received a Game Innovation Spotlight award as did Nintendo's WarioWare Inc.: Mega MicroGame$. Also, the once controversial decision to use cel-shaded graphics in a Zelda game seems to have paid off. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker received the award for Excellence in Visual Arts.
The full list of winning games is as follows:
Game of the Year
Original Game Character of the Year
- HK-47 from STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC
Rookie Studio of the Year
- Infinity Ward for CALL OF DUTY
Game Innovation Spotlight
- EyeToy Play (Sony)
- Viewtiful Joe (Capcom)
- WarioWare Inc.: Mega MicroGame$ (Nintendo)
Excellence in Audio
- Chuck Russom for sound effects in CALL OF DUTY
Excellence in Game Design
- David Chateauneuf, Patrice Desilets, Jordan Mechner and team for game design in PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME
Excellence in Programming
- Dominic Couture, Feng Quan Wang and team for graphics programming in PRINCE OF PERSIA : THE SANDS OF TIME
Excellence in Visual Arts
- Masanao Arimoto, Yoshiki Haruhana, and Satoru Takizawa for art direction in THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER
Excellence in Writing
- David Gaider, Drew Karpyshyn, Luke Kristjanson, and Peter Thomas for writing in STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC