Xenoblade yields the top spot to Nintendo's other big title, Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Yesterday we reported that Xenoblade fell out of the top spot in Japan’s sales chart, giving it up to Super Mario Galaxy 2. Even though Xenoblade took quite a dip, falling from the top to the fourth position in Media Create sales chart, the title's sales numbers weren't far behind the games in front of it.
Appearing at the top spot for a third non-consecutive week was Nintendo’s Super Mario Galaxy 2, which finished the week with sales of 53,000 (down 28%). Two Nintendo DS titles followed close behind it, those being Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and Art Academy from Nintendo, with sales of 24,000 and 21,000, respectively. Xenoblade can be found in the fourth position, with sales of 21,000 as well, suggesting that it was only narrowly beaten by Art Academy.
Elsewhere on the charts, Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City took the fifth position despite seeing a 67% dip in sales, bringing it to 21,000 for the week. A new Tamagotchi Collection landed in the sixth spot with sales of 17,000. The World Cup fever continues to take Japan by storm, and World Soccer for the PS3 rises one spot to seventh thanks to a 27% increase in sales.
Longtime favorite Friend Collection continues to perform well in Japan and its 14% increase in sales can likely be attributed to new Nintendo DS owners wanting to purchase new games. Rounding out the charts are World Soccer for the PSP at number nine, and Hakuoki at number 10, both with sales of 13,000.
The next couple of weeks should be big weeks in Japan for gaming, as a new Nintendo DSi LL bundle is set to be released with LovePlus+, and a new Inazuma Eleven game is set to be released in the midst of World Cup fever.
Media Create June 14-20
01. / 02. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 53.000 / 572.000 (-28%)
02. / 00. [NDS] Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Capcom) - 24.000 / NEW
03. / 00. [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo) - 21.000 / NEW
04. / 01. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo) - 21.000 / 104.000 (-75%)
05. / 03. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City (Rockstar Games) - 21.000 / 85.000 (-67%)
06. / 00. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Pichi Pichi Omisecchi (Bandai Namco) - 17.000 / NEW
07. / 08. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge (Konami) - 16.000 / 122.000 (+27%)
08. / 09. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 14.000 / 3.277.000 (+14%)
09. / 17. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge (Konami) - 13.000 / 69.000
10. / 00. [PS3] Hakuoki: Junsouroku (Idea Factory) - 13.000 / NEW