Mario Galaxy 2 sees a much stronger debut than its predecessor.
According to Media Create sales data, Nintendo’s Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best selling title in Japan for the week of May 24 to 30. The top four bestselling titles are composed of new titles. Super Mario Galaxy 2 managed to sell 340,000 copies in its debut week. In comparison, the latest Super Robot Taisen DS title only sold 81,000 copies.
The original Super Mario Galaxy, released in 2007, sold 250,000 copies in its first week of release. Nintendo has been promoting the sequel to expanded audiences using commercials that detail the control scheme as well as including a DVD that works as a guide for newcomers.
The sales charts include five DS titles, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga The Lord of the Elemental, Sakatsuku DS World Challenge 2010, Medalot DS and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii remains in the top ten this week with 16,000 copies sold.
The full chart is as follows:
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (340,000)
2. Super Robot Taisen OG Saga The Lord of the Elemental (81,000)
3. Sakatsuku DS World Challenge 2010 (50,000)
4. Medalot DS (50,000)
5. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (34,000)
6. Lost Planet 2 (34,000)
7. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (25,000)
8. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 Aoki Samurai no Chousen (22,000)
9. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (16,000)
10. Death Smiles IIX Makai no Merry Christmas (16,000)