How often do two Final Fantasy games for two different Nintendo platforms get released on the same day?
As could have been expected, the DS version of FF CC: Echoes of Time outsold its Wii sister title by almost five times as much. How many of those people buying the titles bought both together for link-up play is unknown, but Square Enix are no doubt hoping each title will persuade customers to buy the other.
Elsewhere, the second Play It On Wii title, Mario Tennis GC, is clearly still the favourite GameCube remake so far, breaking 100,000 in sales. Taiko Drum Master for the Wii, which comes with the huge drum peripheral for about $80 US, got a surge in sales this week and sold more than Wii Fit.
01. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Namco Bandai) 213,000 / New Entry
02. [PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 109,000 / New Entry
03. [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 108,000 / New Entry
04. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) 102,000 / New
05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 23,000 / 380,000
06. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai) 22,000 / 339,000
07. [WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) 22,000 / New
08. [WII] Play It On Wii: Mario Tennis (Nintendo) 20,000 / 108,000
09. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven Gold (Nintendo) 20,000 / 1,634,000
10. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 19,000 / 3,215,000
On the hardware front, the DSi still is out front, while the DS Lite sales are lessening with each passing week.
It is doubtful this means Nintendo will halt DS Lite production anytime soon, but it is definitely something to keep watch of.
This week also saw Wii sales fall a bit, putting the PlayStation 3 only a few thousand units behind. The Xbox 360 also overtook the PlayStation 2 in weekly sales, possibly due to the release of Ninja Blade which sits at No.19 in the charts.
01. DSi - 55,613
02. PSP - 44,135
03. Wii - 23,278
04. PS3 - 17,405
05. DS Lite - 15,147
06. Xbox 360 - 8,107
07. PS2 - 5,334