We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.

Japanese Weekly Hardware, Software Charts for Dec. 17-23

by James Charlton - December 29, 2007, 2:23 pm PST
Total comments: 21 Source: Media Create

The Wii and DS smash records left and right.

The past week saw another Nintendo dominated week of software sales. The only non-Nintendo platform game was new Naruto Shippuuden game for the PlayStation 2, which debuted at No. 5.

Top Ten Japanese Software (Weekly / Total)

1. Mario Party DS (DS) - 329,826 / 1,156,000

2. Final Fantasy IV (DS) - 287,697 / NEW

3. Wii Fit (Wii) - 214,334 / 749,000

4. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 113,831 / 664,000

5. Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 2 (PS2) - 108,717 / NEW

6. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)- 104,948 / 317,000

7. Dragon Quest IV (DS)- 94,425 / 963,000

8. Doraemon Baseball: Dramatic Stadium (DS) - 84,639 / NEW

9. Wii Sports (Wii) - 83,882 / 2,425,000

10. Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (DS) - 83,293 / 527,000

Mario Galaxy is racking up sales slowly but surely, and is looking to hit one million in the near future. Not as fast as Wii Fit though, which continues to outsell Mario and is already at the three-quarters pole to a million less than a month afters its release.

Hardware sales were even more impressive. The previous week saw the Wii outsell the GameCube’s lifetime sales in the single year it’s been out. The Wii has notched up 4,463,951 units, compare that to the Cube which in its five-plus years only reached 4,179,994.

The PS2 has held the crown for total lifetime sales in Japan, and the rest of the world for some time, but this week saw that change. The PS2’s impressive 20,901,468 units sold in Japan was overtaken by the DS, which has sold 20,954,157 units to date in the country.

Talkback

NinGurl69 *hugglesDecember 29, 2007

Absolutely phenomenal.

Konami will go bankrupt in no time.

scot00December 29, 2007

And me still without a Wii ..WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..someday...

-S

ShyGuyDecember 29, 2007

I hear Costco has a number of Wiis right now scot00

BlackNMild2k1December 29, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I hear Costco has a number of Wiis right now scot00

But I bet they come in $600 bundles.

MaryJaneDecember 29, 2007

I wonder how many Nintendo employees had to sell their souls in order for them to be so dominantly back on top.

The next DS record in Japan will be that the DS Lite (or perhaps the DS Lite and the new redesign together) surpasses total PS2 sales. I wonder if there's a break down of how many of those are DS Lite's.

BlackNMild2k1December 29, 2007

No, I think hte next record for DS to break is that of it s little brother the GB/GBC.
I think combined they are somewhere around 31million, so the DS has about 11 million to go.
Maybe by Spring of 2009, if sales keep up the way they have been.

KlapauciusDecember 29, 2007

How long before Wii overtakes PS2's total sales? It looks likely to happen.

In Japan? Maybe 3-4 more years at this rate. It took the DS about 3 years to pass up the PS2 in Japan, and the Wii is selling at a slightly slower pace I'm sure. But who knows if demand will increase or drop in the coming months?

IceColdDecember 29, 2007

When will the DS become the best selling system ever worldwide?

BlackNMild2k1December 30, 2007

I think the DS needs to double its WW sales to pass the PS2 for WW LTD.
But I'm not sure what the DS WW LTD is, but I'm guessing around 55-60million

ShyGuyDecember 30, 2007

When the DS price point hits sub-one hundred dollars it will sell forever. In 2010 DS will still be selling hundreds of thousands of units per month.

Frankly, I can't wait until the Wii hits a price point of $99. It'll be crazy.

CalibanDecember 30, 2007

Then it's a good thing that Nintendo hasn't dropped the price for Wii yet, because they wouldn't have enough inventory to sell, on the other hand it's a good thing for nintendo because they will continue to make lots of profit which will be used for the the development of Wii2.

GoldenPhoenixDecember 30, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Caliban
Then it's a good thing that Nintendo hasn't dropped the price for Wii yet, because they wouldn't have enough inventory to sell, on the other hand it's a good thing for nintendo because they will continue to make lots of profit which will be used for the the development of Wii2.


Wii2 with double the processor speed, and double the visual quality along with HD!

CalibanDecember 30, 2007

Sure, why not, if that's what you want.
But I think that a holodeck is way more important to our gaming experience.

BlackNMild2k1December 30, 2007

Wii2 is just going to be 2 Wiis duct taped together with a HDMI port slapped on the back.


sorry, just thought I would get it out of the way now

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterDecember 30, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Absolutely phenomenal.

Konami will go bankrupt in no time.


Uuuuh...what?

Quote

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Wii2 is just going to be 2 Wiis duct taped together with a HDMI port slapped on the back.


sorry, just thought I would get it out of the way now


/applause

ShyGuyDecember 30, 2007

I think it's going to be tough for the Wii2 to be a seller to the blue ocean. Improved waggle, Hi Def, Hard drive, Xbox live style accounts, but Nintendo will have to do something new and unexpected to capture hearts and minds. I still think at sometime in the future the handhelf and console models will merge, if Japan's tastes are any indication..

NinGurl69 *hugglesDecember 30, 2007

Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
Quote

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Absolutely phenomenal.

Konami will go bankrupt in no time.


Uuuuh...what?


Konami must be hurting to see Nintendo's position of market dominance in which Konami has no hand in. Konami has provided Wii with 3 or so "major" titles, all of which have pretty much tanked. Therefore, the only high-profile card in their hand is MGS4, and who knows how it's been sucking the company dry. They might try to win back the world's attention with Wii games that matter, but they haven't said anything since they want to make their gamble, MGS4, continue to look promising for both Konami and PS3 in general, so at this point no one cares if they have serious Wii support down the line. And it's not like PS3 and 360 have a strong-enough combined audience in Japan to provide a suitable return on MGS4's investment.

The name Konami spells TROUBLE with a capital OH SHI-

NWR_pap64Pedro Hernandez, Contributing WriterJanuary 03, 2008

Quote

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
Quote

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Absolutely phenomenal.

Konami will go bankrupt in no time.


Uuuuh...what?


Konami must be hurting to see Nintendo's position of market dominance in which Konami has no hand in. Konami has provided Wii with 3 or so "major" titles, all of which have pretty much tanked. Therefore, the only high-profile card in their hand is MGS4, and who knows how it's been sucking the company dry. They might try to win back the world's attention with Wii games that matter, but they haven't said anything since they want to make their gamble, MGS4, continue to look promising for both Konami and PS3 in general, so at this point no one cares if they have serious Wii support down the line. And it's not like PS3 and 360 have a strong-enough combined audience in Japan to provide a suitable return on MGS4's investment.

The name Konami spells TROUBLE with a capital OH SHI-


Oh. I see what you mean.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement