Author Topic: Give me Mario Kart or give me death  (Read 144339 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2003, 07:50:49 AM »
thats kind of what i thought too....but didnt old game systems have lan capabilities too. i dont know much about all that though. i dont think they will release mario kart the day of e3. they will probably wait until fall. and they will probably give a month or so notice.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline dmcollin

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2003, 09:01:10 PM »
Well you can play lan games over the internet.  As long as nintendo allows you to plug in ip's manually, includes maybe a match maker program, and allows you to limit the data speed, yeah it is easy to play over the internet.  If they don't do that you are going to need a very good internet connection 2000 Mb + dl/ul.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2003, 05:12:53 AM »

Originally posted by: dmcollin
Well you can play lan games over the internet.  As long as nintendo allows you to plug in ip's manually, includes maybe a match maker program, and allows you to limit the data speed, yeah it is easy to play over the internet.  If they don't do that you are going to need a very good internet connection 2000 Mb + dl/ul.

2000mb? 2 GIGS? Which Internet connection is that fast, or am i getting something wrong here?
LZ 2005

Offline GokuSSJ2

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2003, 08:15:11 AM »
2000 Mb.......lowercase b means bits, not bytes.  So no, it wouldn't be 2 gigs.  But still, a LAN connection is usually only 100Mb so 2000Mb is quite high and not really possible.
Love your Gamecube, just don't LOVE your Gamecube

Offline dmcollin

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2003, 10:44:58 AM »
sorry i meant kb, my bad

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2003, 10:59:48 AM »
yeah 2000 Mb seems a bit steep considering my cable connects at about .8 Mbps

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2003, 01:39:47 PM »
This might be better as one place for all topics on Mario Kart Double Dash.

Offline thesos21

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2003, 01:44:35 PM »
Am I the only one who liked the carts better than the personalized vehicles?

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2003, 01:50:04 PM »
I dunno the karts from MK64 aren't even memorable in my mind and I've probably played the game thousands of times.  I've only seen these vehicles today and they stand out in my mind.

Offline crash8619

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2003, 02:06:25 PM »
I am not sure or not but will you be able to drive a kart with one one person in it if you like?

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2003, 02:08:07 PM »
I dug the 64 karts as well, but I still have my 64 so if I crave them I can still play them.

althought it would be cool if you could select a different kart like that. Maybe a unlockable secret?

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2003, 03:18:48 PM »
If Mario Kart is truely LAN then don't worry, gamespy or some other site will have a way to connect it other users on the net. Hey, thats what they did with Halo and some other popular Xbox games, and i'm sure Mario Kart is going to be immensly popular as well....

Anyways, I don't know how it will play, I guess i'm going to have to wait and see at E3. They should really have Link in there, though it would look goofy but still cool....

Where the hell is Toad! He is my number 1 rival! Back in the day, my brother and I use to play MK64 and I would always be Yoshi ( Yoshi is the ish) and he would always be Toad. He better be unlockble or I'm going to kick some major ass......
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline AJL221893

• View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2003, 03:36:16 PM »
I was thinking that it would be cool if you didn't actually 'pick' a weapon-user-extra-character, but they would be standing on the side of the road, and they would jump onto the back of your car when you drove by them. They each would have a specific talent being on the back seat, and you could actually switch passenger riders, like bumping into another car, and having passengers switch which car they are in by quickly jumping across or falling across. That would be bad if people controlled the weapon users(switching cars all the time), but it might be cool if one person controlled both weapon users, and would add some extra strategy.
Animal Crossing info:
Name: (space)Adam
Town: Animtown

Do YOU want a cookie?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2003, 09:38:31 PM »
Is it true that each character has exclusive weapons?

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2003, 09:39:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Is it true that each character has exclusive weapons?

There will be 6 generic items and 8 character exclusive items.

That's why the switching between characters adds a certain amount of depth to the game.

Offline zerolight

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2003, 11:31:38 PM »
What the heck are Nintendo thinking????? Its generally accepted that the SNES and GBA versions of Mario Kart were much much better than the N64 version. Yet what do they give us? A game which is clearly based on the N64 version. Big wide tracks, including those city based ones, and they've even gone as far as to remove the go-karts. What made the original title so much fun was that you raced on pretty tight and twisty go-kart tracks. In 150cc mode it was a challenge to get around the track at full speed and required much hopping and sliding to stay on the track. Battle modes too were an art, with well timed red shell "boomeraning back down the adjacent passage into your opponents path. It was a beautiful balanced game. This was lost in the N64 version, where many tracks lost the sense of speed, tracks were too wide so it took less skill to navigate them, and the battle mode maps were pretty poor in comparison to the playability of the SNES version. Along comes GBA version and is universally acclaimed. It redeems the license. Mario Kart is once again great. All Nintendo needed to do was take the exact same levels and gameplay mechanics, and stretch them up vertically on the z-axis to make them 3d, whilst keeping the dimensions the same. The slap on some nice pretty textures, and bingo.. perfect Mario Kart in a real 3d world instead of pseudo 3D mode 7. Do they? No. They give us a sequel to MK64, and its back to dire arcade racing targetted at kids. All I wanted was full screen 4 player MK from the GBA brought upto date on the GC. That would sell in droves, whereas this, I fear, will not. MK64 was a disappointment, and I'd bet this will be too. Depressing.

IGN Preview 23rd April

Offline Gamer1982

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2003, 04:12:24 AM »

Originally posted by: zerolight
MK64 was a disappointment, and I'd bet this will be too. Depressing.

IGN Preview 23rd April

I Agree.  I havent played it, but it seems to be missing the magic of the original mario kart.  It doesn't even look like a Kart game.

Offline Piposan

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2003, 04:24:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamer1982

I Agree.  I havent played it, but it seems to be missing the magic of the original mario kart.  It doesn't even look like a Kart game.

How can you even say something like that when you haven't played Mario Kart 64? Please do not pass judgement until you've played the game.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2003, 04:40:20 AM »
God, I am so sick of this crap! Six screens of a game in development are released, and you've already passed judgement on this game! What are you, Game Informer?
I remember listening to this same kind of crap for a year after the first screens of the cel-shaded Zelda was released. For a year, no matter which BBS I went to there was always a 20 page long thread entitled "Kiddy ZeLdA Suxxors!!1". Then when people actually got to play the game they said "Yeah, you know, this isn't actually that bad. I like it!" The same thing happened with Paper Mario and countless other games.
And you know if they had made the game exactly like previous editions, there would be people complaining about how it hasn't changed.
In the immortal words of Cartman: "Stop yer bitchin!"

Offline hylian sponge

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2003, 05:27:55 AM »
 thank u joshnickerson , u took the words straight out of my mouth.
i am the sponge from hyrule!!!!!!

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2003, 05:28:38 AM »
The game looks pretty good, but yeah i agree, its too early to write it off
Mario Kart64 was awsome back in the day, I didnt know 1 person who hated it then.
surprising that all these mario kart64 haters pop up all of a sudden :\
Only thing I dont like from the pics is Diddy kong, he looks like he is baised off the chartoon show and not the rare games
which is kinda sad, cause he look stupid with a long mouth.
anyway cant wait for the proper e3 pics and videos!

Offline Gamer1982

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2003, 05:44:11 AM »

Originally posted by: joshnickerson
God, I am so sick of this crap! Six screens of a game in development are released, and you've already passed judgement on this game! What are you, Game Informer?

On the flip side, I find it absurd that so many people here seem to be mindlessly praising Nintendo for so much "innovation", when they haven't even played it either.  Whatever, we'll see if the game is good when it comes out.  

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2003, 06:12:50 AM »

Originally posted by: zerolight
What the heck are Nintendo thinking????? Its generally accepted that the SNES and GBA versions of Mario Kart were much much better than the N64 version. Yet what do they give us? A game which is clearly based on the N64 version. Big wide tracks, including those city based ones, and they've even gone as far as to remove the go-karts. What made the original title so much fun was that you raced on pretty tight and twisty go-kart tracks. In 150cc mode it was a challenge to get around the track at full speed and required much hopping and sliding to stay on the track. Battle modes too were an art, with well timed red shell "boomeraning back down the adjacent passage into your opponents path. It was a beautiful balanced game. This was lost in the N64 version, where many tracks lost the sense of speed, tracks were too wide so it took less skill to navigate them, and the battle mode maps were pretty poor in comparison to the playability of the SNES version. Along comes GBA version and is universally acclaimed. It redeems the license. Mario Kart is once again great. All Nintendo needed to do was take the exact same levels and gameplay mechanics, and stretch them up vertically on the z-axis to make them 3d, whilst keeping the dimensions the same. The slap on some nice pretty textures, and bingo.. perfect Mario Kart in a real 3d world instead of pseudo 3D mode 7. Do they? No. They give us a sequel to MK64, and its back to dire arcade racing targetted at kids. All I wanted was full screen 4 player MK from the GBA brought upto date on the GC. That would sell in droves, whereas this, I fear, will not. MK64 was a disappointment, and I'd bet this will be too. Depressing.

IGN Preview 23rd April

Umm... first off... Mario Kart 64 did sell in droves so I can't see how you can claim that this "sequel" wouldn't sell. And many people did actually enjoy Mario Kart 64. Plus I think it's still absurd that such claims can be made from 6 screenshots and the info revealed. Nevertheless yes, I do predict this to be less hectic than the original Mario Kart in terms of track designs, but at the same time I do know that I'll be having a blast with 3 other friends (7 w/ LAN capabilities).

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2003, 06:26:06 AM »
For the record, I've been unable to find *any* report *anywhere* stating that it's 2 players per cart.

Every report, including IGN, Gamespot, and more, state 2 characters per cart.  Not 2 players.

Unless someone can provide a link stating that one player can drive while another can shoot, I wouldn't believe it.  I wouldn't even speculate it, as it would be a really weird setup.  As it stands now, 1 player controls 2 characters in 1 kart.

Offline SriramSiv

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2003, 07:30:09 AM »
I dont know anyone who hated it, but alot, including me, didnt like it nearly as much as super mario kart and that spoiled it. Anyway, you cant judge how the game handles by looking at a few screens.