Author Topic: Press Conference Videos  (Read 8039 times)

Offline snacky

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Press Conference Videos
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2004, 10:20:16 AM »
I've never used Premier, but I just asked a guy who does.

He says: Go to export movie settings; go to audio. In compressor, choose mp3 as the codec.

In advanced settings, you can set the bitrate.

This will save you up to ~4 megs and let you keep better quality, so it's worth it.

The only time it's ever worth it to use PCM is if you absolutely do not care about space/bandwidth. If it matters even in the slightest, you can get better quality-per-byte from something like mp3.
I like snacks

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 10:40:12 AM »
I did that.  There is no MP3 listed amongst my codecs.  I do have several MP3 encoders on my system, so I don't know what's going on there (FYI, Premiere PRO is different than Premiere).  Regardless, I don't really think it's an issue, it's not going to save nearly as much as you think for a 1 min. file.  I'm not exactly new at this, just new to DivX.  I'll keep looking into it, but for now, I'm done.

Files are done.  After some tweaking, I've got the Full Res version to 12.7MB.  The 9MB version was decent, but had some unacceptable artifacting in places, so I tweaked the bitrate and keyframes to get what I wanted.  This looks better.  The 360x240 version is now 6.9MB.  They have 1400Kbps and 700Kbps bitrates respectively.  Uploading now, should be done shortly.  I'll update the news story when they're finished.

Zach ... yes, you need to go to the Divx.com website and download the codec to play them.  Use the DivX Player (NOT Windows Media Player, or AOL Media Player).  There are known issues where WMP will play DivX files too slow, then jump forward.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Press Conference Videos
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 10:50:16 AM »
I downloaded the new Zelda video and tried to play it in DivX, and my computer restarted- it's happened with all of PGC's press conference videos. Any idea what could be wrong with my computer or settings?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline snacky

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 11:03:26 AM »
The friend with premier says it's Premier Pro 7. Not sure if that helps.

Currently you're using about 5.9 megs on reasonable quality audio. You could get equal quality mp3 for about 0.6-1 megs, saving you 5 megs of filesize.  Unfortunately, the nature of PCM is such that "Compressing" PCM by lowering the samplerate is basically throwing away bits indiscriminately without regard to how they affect the fidelity, which is why the fidelity drops off so sharply.

The most tactful thing I can say is that I wouldn't consider using a product to create downloadable video if the product could only output PCM. But surely there's a way...

I like snacks

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2004, 11:15:58 AM »
jsut wanted to say thanks a lot to bigjim, I am not very computer savvy, and I REALLY wanted to watch those videos, thanks again
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2004, 11:58:41 AM »
http://ssspace.home.comcast.net/zelda.nsv
NSV/AAC/VP6 is nice. Play with winamp.  4MB, converted from Nintendo's official quicktime file.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2004, 12:02:29 PM »
Ok, files are up.  Check them out.

Not to disagree with you, Snacky, but I know a thing or two about compression, and you're simply not going to save that much on 1 minute file.  Longer, sure, but MP3 doesn't work miracles.  What you're suggesting is that I could cut this file down to 6MB or so, and that's just not going to happen by playing with the audio.  I'm sure Premiere Pro can handle MP3, I just need to find out why it's not on the list.

The Quicktime file on Nintendo's site is NOT the original, and has already been compressed once.  Comparisons to how you compressed that file aren't entirely accurate.  Like I said, the one we have is a 200+ MB raw AVI file.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline snacky

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2004, 12:29:58 PM »

and you're simply not going to save that much on 1 minute file.

You'll save exactly the amounts I said.

2 channels x 16-bit samples x 22050 samples per second * 69.8 seconds = 6.0 megabytes. That's the amount of space you're currently using on sound. If you want to be more precise, the amount you're using is 6,159,576 bytes, not counting AVI packet overhead

If you chose 96kbps mp3, the math is 96kbits/s*69.8 seconds= 837.6 kilobytes. Like I said, a savings of over 5 megs. Not small change by any means - the PCM is more than seven times larger.

I think you're underestimating just how massive PCM is compared to any reasonably modern lossy compression.  
I like snacks

Offline snacky

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »
BTW, I often stick around a group of people who release high score replay videos. Many of them prefer to encode to 64kbps mp3, and it seems to sound just fine. By this standard, the PCM audio is over eleven times larger than it really needs to be.

I only proposed 96kbps to reduce the chance that someone would complain it'd offend their golden ears (some audiophiles take pleasure in being picky!).
I like snacks

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 04:47:45 PM »
The general rule:

[Expensive] Video editing suites such as Adobe Premiere and Ulead Studio are meant to produce video projects/presentations, where the finalized output files are meant to be "master" or "source" copies. (MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DV, MJPEG, straight-to-film)

Video conversion/encoding/transcoding into small, internet-friendly distribution formats (such as DivX) should only be handled by (or combinations of) small, yet powerful video processing solutions like AVISynth, VirtualDub/NanDub/Gordian Knot, which specialize in frame processing techniques like deinterlacing, field manipulation, cropping/resizing, color adjustments, etc.  In particular, you can experience dramatically shorter encoding times with AVISynth, since it's only a few kilobytes large, has significantly less overhead compared to a "monster" program like Adobe Premiere, and can process video without having to fully decompress it before applying changes.  And besides encoding the distribution files, these solutions are great for "cleaning up" videos before importing them into a Premiere project.  Premiere's deinterlacing and dimension resizing capabilties aren't nearly as powerful or flexible as AVISynth's.  You'll have more control over the encoding/coversion process than Premiere allows, and they're free for public use.

In short, use scissors to cut a sheet of paper rather than a katana blade.

~~~~~

I watched the updated Zelda trailers, and the remaining stuttering and frame errors still bother me.  I'm doubtful these are problems that can be fixed from within Adobe Premiere.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2004, 02:41:54 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Originally posted by: chaos
I thought i'd put this here seeing how its kind of similar
When I try to download videos or audio from this site (and others) it always cuts me off right at the start saying download complete which it isnt
It seems to have something to do with the computer not knowing how much its actually downloading and so cuts of at the start
Im on a 56k modem and use DAP would it have anything to do with either of these or it something wrong with the server
If its got nothing to do with the server sorry about bothering you but if you have any ideas it would be aprecciated

Thanks

Maybe DAP is triggering the anti-DoS protection. Ever tried using your browser's default downloader?

Aye I tried that a while ago, I uninstalled DAP and set it back to my default downloader,
It seemed to work for a while but came back after a month or so
So I thought seeing that E3 was coming up I thought I'd need an accelerater even if it only worked sometimes
I use Internet Explorer do you think it would change if I used Opera or Msn

To The finder... the island of Koholint, is but an illusion... human, monster, sea, sky... A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye... Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle... Cast-Away, you should know the truth!

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »
Never mind I just changed to opera and its working fine
Just one last question if I change opera to my default browser will it keep a history in the same way I.E. does
I like to read articles on sites after I go offline (what can I say im cheap), trust Ireland to be the only country in the world where you cant get a proper internet plan eg. unlimited hours for €60 a month changes to 50 hours for €50 a month and broadband isnt in my area

any way thanks for your help  
To The finder... the island of Koholint, is but an illusion... human, monster, sea, sky... A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye... Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle... Cast-Away, you should know the truth!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2004, 11:31:03 PM »
Opera has various functions for that and since IE is such a backwards pile of crap it wouldn't surprise me if Opera offered much better functionality there (I'm on always-on DSL, so I haven't tried).

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2004, 03:32:55 PM »
aye I noticed its much faster aswell and tons of options well thanks for your help KDR