Author Topic: Advice on how to clean GameCube  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Xenplan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Advice on how to clean GameCube
« on: January 24, 2004, 03:42:11 AM »
I bought a Jet-colored GCN about two weeks after launch, so it's out of warranty.

This week, my Cube has started giving me the "There has been an error. Check your instruction manual for further details" message in just about every game, after giving me about 10-20 minutes of playtime. (I'm fairly positive it's my GCN, as I've been getting the error on at least three games)  I think it may be dust, because I have kept it on carpet for months at a time, but not always.  Is there a safe way to remove dust without having to take apart the system completely? And if I have to, could somebody please post a set of safe instructions to do so?

Also, I want to clean the laser lens, and I've heard about the windex/q-tip comment here earlier.  Has anybody tried it, with good results?

Thanks for your time and patience with me, as I really don't have enough money yet to pay for a brand new Cube, since I'm supposedly getting a new TV next month.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Advice on how to clean GameCube
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 10:05:46 AM »
It helps to just hold a vacuum to one of the cooling vents and let it suck at full power for some time...

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE: Advice on how to clean GameCube
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 10:21:49 AM »
Just so you know, I also am experiencing the exact same problem, also with a Jet Black cube (which a purchased on US launch day).  My cube sometimes doesn't even try to read the disc anymore.  *sighs sadly*  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
RE:Advice on how to clean GameCube
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 07:33:13 AM »
that was my comment.  i can't say it will work for a gamecube for sure, but it's what we do at work for anything with a laser lens.

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
RE:Advice on how to clean GameCube
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 03:03:34 AM »
sorry wrong thread