Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!  (Read 39139 times)

Offline Serebii

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2004, 02:48:27 AM »
Thats some nice Concept Art

HOWEVER

This is not a Game Boy

This is the third Pillar they were speaking of that goes WITH The GameBoy and WITH the Gamecube/N5

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2004, 02:52:14 AM »
Hmm, I know first impressions can be misleading, but I can't get excited about this... not yet anyway. I'm reserving judgement until we can see this thing at e3. The only thing that's disturbing me about it is that IGN actually seems excited about this... and I've conditioned myself to always believe the exact OPPOSITE of what IGN rants about...

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2004, 03:04:23 AM »
<enter generic nintendo is stupid comment here>... this is going to be a failure... this isn't innovative... i don't see how this is going to work since i have little or no information and therefore don't truely understand it.... blah blah blah... i'm interested in seeing how this turns out though...
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2004, 03:12:44 AM »
it seems like everytime i think nintendo is headed in the right direction, they go and do something stupid. i guess this new system could be good, but to make a 3rd console just for this? do i hear Never Happening?? more like mega-let-down. it would be one thing if it was the successor of the gameboy sp...it would have been early, but it would have been understandable considering the psp is soon to be released. i just hope they scrap the idea. there is no market for all the consoles. gba, gc, xbox, ps2, psp....something has got to give and this new crap nintendo came up with will probably be the first to go. dont quote me on that though.

edit: mega...ton shows up as Never Happening
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2004, 03:18:38 AM »
Well, they did say they wanted to take gameplay to new heights, but man I wasn't expecting this.  I hope this thing does manage to suceed, maybe we can get some new types of games out of it.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2004, 03:35:00 AM »
Certainly interesting. The Two Screens might seem gimicky but usefull. What im worried about is the GCNs problem, Third Parties.  Third Parties are now making GBA SP, Ngage, and PSP software. Do they have the time to make no Nintendo DS software? If the console doesnt have software it wont sell, which was the Virtual Boys problem.  Im also worried on the media,  its look and price. But we will find out by E3..

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2004, 03:39:07 AM »
exactly what i think. nintendo has enough problems to worry about with their 2 currect systems.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2004, 03:41:19 AM »
If the Nintendo DS can play existing GBA and/or GCN software, then problem solved.

Offline Retroyoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2004, 04:10:30 AM »
... hmmm.... just a thought.  Could this be a controller?

Hear me out!

2- 3" screens positioned side by side with touch sensitive screens (perhaps pressure sensitive also) would make positionable buttons possible...  Or perhaps one of the screens are to be used as a controller for the top screen?   Or maybe it's to be used as an additional gameplay screen for the new console plus a control pad- but can also be taken on the road.

This would justify calling it a 3rd pillar I suppose.

Just a couple of ideas...

Offline Retroyoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2004, 04:11:36 AM »
Also, I suppose that you could use it *AS* the console, able to connect to two monitors.
(sorry for the double post, I thought "quick post" would append my last)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2004, 04:13:27 AM »
sheesh.

No more talking until we have more info, my mind has a mix of anger and anxiety that I dno't want to deal with right now.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2004, 04:14:34 AM »
The more I think of this the more I like the idea.  I remember when I was disappointed that Nintendo wasn't going to directly compete with the PS2 and Xbox; Nintendo was comfortable with their niche market and decided to stick with it.  More recently Nintendo announced they were going at the PS3 and Xbox Next head on.  I think this is the first step, they're directly competing with the PSP; I don't think they want to allow GBA to be the only option to the PSP... Nintendo doesn't want niche markets with both their console and handheld device.  

I still don't think this is a "third pillar" as much as it's a high-end GBA.  The PSP and DS won't be marketed toward the same user-base as the GBA (mainly kids).  Obviously we'll hear more at E3, but I expect this device to compete with the PSP on a few levels...  Everyone's looking at this as a device to JUST play on dual-screens; I believe it's a device to compete with the PSP that allows you to play on dual-screens.  I'm sure Nintendo's been working on the answer to PSP for a while, and I think they want to go head-to-head with Sony in this market; if all goes well at E3 I think everyone could be pleasantly surprised.  Everyone's jumping to conclusions comparing this to VB when we barely know any of the specs.  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2004, 04:51:12 AM »
Your average casual gamer will look at PSP and DS, "Hmmmm, PSP looks cool. Hey look at that, DS has two screens! PSP is like, so one screened!". [/slight generalisation]

Another idea, what if one of the screens is see-through? Nah that's impossible...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2004, 04:55:36 AM »
This is an interesting idea, but it smacks of connectivity to me...what does having an extra screen really do for me?   The example of a soccer game on two screens is WAY too familiar, it reminds me so much of the original supafly GBA connectivity example of choosing secret football plays.  Still, connectivity always sounded cool in theory, maybe this will be cool in practice.

Pros:
- you don't have to buy extra hardware which I think is a big part of the problem for connectivity
- even when it's not used well, having an extra screen wouldn't be a bad thing
- I'm secretly thrilled to see the cartridge format is still being used

Cons:
- extra screen = extra money, will the innovations that come out of it be worth the cost?
- dual processors?  Wasn't this a nightmare for developers on the Saturn?
- third parties will probably be annoyed that the cartridge format is still being used

I'm also hoping Nintendo gives this system enough juice to play 3D games.  I know that's not the "point", but I think Nintendo is just begging to give away its handheld market share by not releasing a system with similar 3D capabilities to the PSP.  But I'll reserve my judgement until I see the hardware and some games.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2004, 04:55:46 AM »
ya know mario, that is how they are getting some pretty cool 3d effects on lcds right now.  It would make for a pretty awesome hand held, too bad nintendo already said that each screen will show something different, thus squashing that possibility.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2004, 04:56:15 AM »
...maybe it'll employ bluetooth for connectivity.....2 LCD screens?  Man, just bite the bullet and gimme one, big arse 6" TFT, please!....THAT would be COOL!

"It's Delux, son, Delux.....get it right...."

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2004, 05:01:39 AM »
Here's a great idea for MADDEN (or any football game for that matter):

In a pass situation, you could have the one screen viewing the field, as is the case now. With the second screen, it could feature a closeup of the primary receiver for the play, so you can watch him to see if he: beats the defender covering him, finds a gap in zone coverage, or breaks open in a slant or square (etc.) route. That would be awesome!!!!

And you could have replays and the such on the second screen, so the game finishes faster. The possibilities that have now opened up are endless! Now developers (particularly third parties) will have to use their brains; Hopefully they do.

Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2004, 05:08:55 AM »
Here. Comes. Another. Virtual. Boy. Flop.

Now don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the Virtual Boy.. it's a great, innovative system.  But no one bought in to it.  And that's going to be what plagues this system from getting anywhere.  Good luck Nintendo.  I can actually see now that you are in fact, "losing it", and are running out of ideas.  Makes you wonder doesn't it?  Considering EAD has only pumped out TWO games this whole time for the GameCube.  Yeah.. But I seriously don't wanna see Nintendo go the way of Sega.  But it's looking more and more like it everyday...  They SHOULD be concentrating on their home console market.. which is FAR MORE important than a dumb dual screen portable will ever be.  If Nintendo's gonna put this kinda crap on us, then their next console system better be jacked to the roof.  The "N5" better kick some serious arse.  Looks like Nintendo's down to their last strike.  Don't mess it up guys.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline chlupe

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2004, 05:17:21 AM »
Not excited.

Yet.

I admit to being disappointed, as it sounds from first impressions that Nintendo said, "Heeey! Dude, we've got... TWO... screens! That's like, DOUBLE of one!" In short, sounds like a gimmick at first.

With everyone's ideas, this could turn into something better... for once, I am going to hold my breath -- but I can't help but be disappointed at first. I won't judge though.

I like the idea that someone pointed out -- including that mock-up art -- of the device being a controller. This could have been a better compliment to Crystal Chronicles in that at least they could add more buttons and functionality to it (of course I have no idea how CC plays yet, so take that statement with a grain of salt and maybe some pepper).

I don't, however, feel very intrigued by the possibility that it's just going to be a new system with new games. Someone said they're over-saturating the market with hardware, and s/he might be correct. This is now different because let's say that, instead of being an add-on, it simply turns out to be more of an individual unit with its own games (using its 1 Gbit media) ... so we just have another entrant into the "console" market (in quotes because I'm including portables in this classification). Cannibalizing GBA sales or GCN sales of hardware *and* software.

I will wait and see. But until I see, I can't help but feel dejected.
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2004, 05:20:29 AM »
You guys keep saying "I can't see how this will work" and other phrases of the like when we only have a few sentences to base our opinions on. Let's just not critisize a product that we know nothing about but the very basics. Just wait untill E3...
Thanks for listening.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2004, 05:26:20 AM »
Rachtman, that was one of the most ignorant posts i've read, im not going to even comment on that.

Heh, i guess this product is gonna be pretty hard to pirate huh?

As for game ideas, for a game like Burnout, on one screen you see the race normally, while on the other you see it in "crash mode". In Animal Crossing or The Sims or something, you could set up a video camera somewhere, then wander off, and on the other screen you can see through the camera you planted, for example you could put a camera at the front of your house to watch out for burglers. In RE0 this would let you control both characters at the same time less clumsily. In Mario Kart you can see behind in the other screen, so you can aim your shells properly when shooting people behind you, and also dodge shells coming at you. I'm sure the geniouses at Nintendo can think of much better uses than that.

Offline Retroyoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2004, 05:29:16 AM »
Actually, a "I can't see how this will work" is probably a good thing.  It means that it hasn't been done yet .  Heck, I remember saying the same thing about 3D mario or even the original game boy.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2004, 05:45:30 AM »
I like the idea, but I think a picture is very much needed. This system shows promise, but it could be a failure. E3 shall be very interesting this year.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2004, 05:47:27 AM »
Aren't you guys forgetting a couple of things?

1. Two screens is just one of the features of this thing.

2. Two screens can do whatever one screen can do.

3. One screen cannot do whatever two screens can do.

I mean, Nintendo adds functionality to a system and people still bitch.

To shut the haters up, consider this:

Which is better, one or two analogue sticks?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline monk72

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2004, 05:53:43 AM »
I do not know really know what to think of this yet.
But it got me thinking of uses in game for it.

Maybe Mario128 is actually for this device (remember rumors of it NOT being on GC?)
And remeber the rumors of it being a 2D/3D hybrid?  1 screen 2D, the other 3D at the same time?

Or what about Zelda games that you see in first person (this would be alot like metroid prime), and the other screen is either OOT style, or overhead Link to the past style.

Or Zelda wind waker style literally warps to the other screen into another "world" and actually is able to turned into realistic graphics/settings.

Or smash bros. game that when you SMASH the players gets belted onto the other other screen for additonal power ups, or additional fighting, or whatever.

Think of the 2nd screen as another world, another goal, another view, another room, another menu, another player (?), or how about a FPS with your perspective on 1 screen, the enemies on the other?  or a racing game with similar concepts?

Or racing with a view from the drivers seat, and one overhead, or 1 view of outside shot, 1 of the gauges?

But I think Nintendo would have developed more uses than dual screens, OTHER than alternate views.

maybe onscreen characters controlled by 1 at the same time (think Pikmin 2)?

And imagine carrying this thing around "is that a THIRD PILLAR in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

"is that a THIRD PILLAR in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"great minds...             ...play Nintendo"