Author Topic: What will Nintendo release in 2020?  (Read 7707 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• That's not my Yoshi!
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Re: What will Nintendo release in 2020?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
Yeah, with the talk of Zelda 35 next year and likely release of BotW2, it's possible Nintendo does a port of WWHD and TPHD again as well although rumor has been focusing more on a possible Skyward Sword port instead. I guess I was wrong. There's no stopping this port train after all. Too many possibilities.

(I also don't think XCX gets ported until Switch 2 for that console.)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1006
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2020, 06:01:06 PM »
Well, the port train continues full steam ahead but it's gotta start slowing down now... right? How much more can still be ported/remastered at this point?
Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Skyward Sword (today’s Mario announcements make me want to revisit the other thread).

Also: Yoshi's Woolly World & Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water.

Also Also: The Wii & Wii U Virtual Consoles.
"It's time to play...JAZZ...BASKETBALL!"

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
OP updated to reflect today's fludd flood of Mario announcements.

I'm guessing either Odyssey 2 will be ready for November and then 3D World Deluxe is pushed back to early 2021, or Odyssey 2 is delayed to March 2021 and 3D World Deluxe is given its spot this year.

Looks like you weren't far off. 3D World is indeed taking the early 2021 slot, but with an expansion of some sorts. No Odyssey 2 announcement, but the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy compilation is dropping this month for Nintendo's September slot.
They have something announced for every month this year, except for December. A few good candidates still need to receive release dates however.

The 3D All-Stars taking September and 3D World going to early next year, it really makes me wonder what will be their big holiday game this year then.  If it was Odyssey 2, it would have been announced today with the rest of the Mario announcements.  Maybe they might get Breath of the Wild 2 out this year after all.  There was reports just a few weeks ago that Breath of the Wild 2 Collector's Edition showing up on online retailers.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/zelda_breath_of_the_wild_2_collectors_edition_listing_appears_on_retailer_website

If they feel they can release 3D World in February of next year, then they got to be pretty confident in what is planned for November/December and I can't think of anything that's been in development that would be bigger then a Mario platformer then Zelda.  Now that would be funny if we get Breath of the Wild 2 during the middle of Mario's 35th Anniversary and then next year they release Odyssey 2 during Zelda's 35th Anniversary celebration as well. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »
Its also possible that the Covid delays impacted Nintendo badly and this IS their holiday lineup. Nintendo is a very traditional company and reports I am hearing state they have struggled to adapt to remote work life due to their protectiveness of content.

I was about to go into a breakdown of these challenges they created for themselves, but this isn't the thread for that. My point is BOTW2 and Odyssey 2 could have been planned and pushed back, so the ports could be forced to hold up the holiday lineup. I hope I'm wrong, but it is a possibility.

Remember the previous times they had major technical hurdles (jump to 3D, jump to HD) and how that impacted their release schedule and content output. At least there is much better 3rd party support to round things out compared to the N64 and Wii U.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Online Discord.RSS

• Corporate Defender
  • Score: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Its also possible that the Covid delays impacted Nintendo badly and this IS their holiday lineup. Nintendo is a very traditional company and reports I am hearing state they have struggled to adapt to remote work life due to their protectiveness of content.

I was about to go into a breakdown of these challenges they created for themselves, but this isn't the thread for that. My point is BOTW2 and Odyssey 2 could have been planned and pushed back, so the ports could be forced to hold up the holiday lineup. I hope I'm wrong, but it is a possibility.

Agree with your points, although they have surprised me with the 3D Mario All-Stars collection coming out so soon. The fact they're unwilling to put dates on any games until they're certain they can hit those targets also makes the 3D World + Expansion a curiosity. Maybe it's almost entirely done already, like how they didn't announce Pikmin 3DX and Origami King until they were basically done and already pre-loaded on the eShop?

But yes, I'll continue being bearish until reality contradicts such sentiments.
And for the record, I don't think Pikmin, Mario Collection, expansions for Pokémon and Animal Crossing, and possibly No More Heroes 3 is a bad holiday. Especially with 3rd party releases like Digimon Survive, Doom Eternal, Boyfriend Dungeon (this'll be a hit I think), Hades, and of course Bakugan lined up too. There's enough momentum and back catalogue to push the Switch past 20 million units this year. Frankly insane numbers given the circumstances.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 78
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:55 PM »
I think the short turn around from announcement to release is a result of Nintendo not feeling comfortable about discussing a full lineup of games when most release dates are uncertain.  If they can only talk about/release so many games in a year, it makes sense to me for them to schedule the Directs right before release.  No sense it having a game featured on multiple Directs if it's gonna be the only thing you really talk about.  So, if there is a "big holiday release", it could be one part "not sure if it'll be done on time" and one part waiting to talk about it at length instead of talking about it at multiple Directs.

edit:
Also going to predict that Rhythm Heaven comes to Switch this year.  Switch launched with a party game (1, 2, Switch) then had another the following year (Super Mario Party), then followed up with Mario & Sonic this past year.  So, for the 2020 Switch party game, I'm thinking they bring that back.

With how many rhythm games were at the partner Direct, I wonder if I was right about Rhythm Heaven for Switch being on the way.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:55:19 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• That's not my Yoshi!
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
We have our Nintendo November game, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

So, I'd say it is now official that we won't be seeing a Direct this year unless something happens late December for next year releases. Nintendo is just shadow-dropping new games and sudden release dates individually instead. Not sure a new Hyrule Warriors game trying to ride the BotW coattails is really something that could compete against new consoles possibly dropping at that time over 3D World but that's what Nintendo is going with.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
If they feel they can release 3D World in February of next year, then they got to be pretty confident in what is planned for November/December and I can't think of anything that's been in development that would be bigger then a Mario platformer then Zelda.  Now that would be funny if we get Breath of the Wild 2 during the middle of Mario's 35th Anniversary and then next year they release Odyssey 2 during Zelda's 35th Anniversary celebration as well. 

Well I got the Zelda part right.  :smug:

You know, this is a canon prequel to Breath of the Wild so it would be the 2nd Breath of the Wild game released.  So a Breath of the Wild 2 was their big holiday game for 2020 after all.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• That's not my Yoshi!
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
Curse you and your monkey's paw, Luigi Dude!!!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo dropped a questionable Zelda game on the same day as a new PlayStation console.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• That's not my Yoshi!
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
Majora's Mask?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2020, 09:16:16 PM »
That's the one.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Online Discord.RSS

• Corporate Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2020, 06:14:05 PM »
Restructured the OP to separate hardware, software, DLC, and NSO updates. I don't know if anyone really uses this list, but if so, let me know whether you prefer this, or the previous chronological list. Personally I thought it looked too cluttered and unwieldy before.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »
Restructured the OP to separate hardware, software, DLC, and NSO updates. I don't know if anyone really uses this list, but if so, let me know whether you prefer this, or the previous chronological list. Personally I thought it looked too cluttered and unwieldy before.

It looks great! Thanks for doing that!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 78
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »
Three out of the six fighters from the new pass will drop this year.  They will be Travis Touchdown, Dante, and a Pokemon.

Well, I was almost right. :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Discord.RSS

• Corporate Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »
Three out of the six fighters from the new pass will drop this year.  They will be Travis Touchdown, Dante, and a Pokemon.

Well, I was almost right. :(

If I remember I'll tally everyone's predictions at the end of the year, and yeah that one warrants at least half a point!

OP has been updated to reflect the latest Fire Emblem shenanigans.
Also there's a Fortnite themed Switch releasing??? But only in the UK/Australia/NZ??? Very odd.