Author Topic: RetroActive 46: Rhythm Thief  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RetroActive 46: Rhythm Thief
« on: January 18, 2020, 08:14:12 PM »
It's that time again! We're doing a RetroActive in Rhythm Thief for Nintendo 3DS. You can play along with us, and post your thoughts here. It's a short game, so we hope you can join us.

Comments posted here may find their way into the episode. Given the brevity of the game, we're doing this one on a tight turnaround. Recording will happen in early February.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive 46: Rhythm Thief
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »
Rhythm Thief?  Isn't that the game that everyone said was really good, but almost nobody bothered to play?

EDIT:
So is anyone else playing Rhythm Thief yet? If not, you should be!

I've been short on time so haven't made much progress... but wow, the production values are great. Even though I typically don't enjoy rhythm games, the mix of Layton-esque exploration and story with a variety of different rhythm-based mini-games is a lot of fun!

Definitely a hidden gem for 3DS. It really makes me wish I had a physical copy to share the fun with my kids.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:25:56 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: RetroActive 46: Rhythm Thief
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
I acquired Rhythm Thief as part of a Nintendo Humble Bundle (I wish they would do another one of those). I probably would not have picked up until now otherwise. I really enjoyed it and especially enjoyed the visuals (great 3D), writing, and music. I found some of the swiping to be difficult to register but I am glad they tried something more novel than pushing buttons. I found the French setting to be interesting and would like to hear from someone familiar with French culture what they thought about this aspect of the game.