Author Topic: A MUST-READ: Nintendo didn´t deliver on their promises?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
A MUST-READ: Nintendo didn´t deliver on their promises?
« on: October 18, 2003, 04:52:19 AM »
Not to bother anyone, but I just read another unmissable editorial over on Nintendojo.com (here´s the link: http://www.nintendojo.com/editorials/view_item.php?1054646745).

Something about why Nintendo has, for the first time in history, not delivered the quality in their own first-party games that made them famous so long ago. So their sales are down, their stocks are down (Nintendo itself admitted this was due to foreign exchange losses and dissapointing overseas sales...)!

After reading the article, I couldn´t but agree. I was VERY dissapointed with Mario Sunshine, and even more dissapointed with Windwaker (stopped playing it alltogether, and am now playing OOT: Master Quest instead).

Am I the only one in this forum, in the gameworld who think that Nintendo should give the gamers what they want and not experiment the innovation they think so good for the industry´s expansion above what´s good? I mean, they want to reach out to grab the mainstream gamer, right? But they can´t do that in the way they do now, because the mainstream gamer want´s to get the megasequels that X-BOX and PS2 continue to deliver.

Is Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot?

GameBasher.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: A MUST-READ: Nintendo didn´t deliver on their promises?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 04:55:40 AM »
heh, nintendojo, more like xboxdojo, when they arn't bashing nintendo they are having a shower/eating/sleeping etc.

Am I the only one in this forum, in the gameworld who think that Nintendo should give the gamers what they want and not experiment the innovation they think so good for the industry´s expansion above what´s good?

yeah, lets make nintendo a clone for the rest of the gaming industry, great idea, im not even going to bother elaborating, YOU ARE WRONG.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 05:05:55 AM »
What did Nintendo promise exactly?

Offline Huzkee

• View Profile
RE:A MUST-READ: Nintendo didn´t deliver on their promises?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 05:24:08 AM »
I become increasingly disgusted everytime I visit nintendojo.

The quality of their editorials as of late has become extremely substandard and unprofessional, Eric's especially. The have taken to insulting their audience and clamouring their opinions as gospel. I can take some constructive criticism fine but they are taking their whinning and complaining to a whole new level. I don't understand how they, a fansite, of all people can spew so much poison to the company they by name advocate.

As far as I'm concerned, they only mean to attract readers by means of "shock and awe" and that is truly sad. Needless to say, anything coming from them I deem as highly questionable.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 08:00:40 AM »

After reading the article, I couldn´t but agree. I was VERY dissapointed with Mario Sunshine, and even more dissapointed with Windwaker (stopped playing it alltogether, and am now playing OOT: Master Quest instead).
I couldn't disagree with you more.  Sunshine was an extremely fun game.  Not up to the standard Nintendo set with SM64, but I don't believe that standard will ever be touched again by ANY video game developer.  

Think about this: if any other company besides Nintendo had released either a game like SMS or WW (obviously, different characters, etc), they would be praised beyond our imaginations.  It's the standard that Nintendo is held to--not that I'm making excuses, because I still think Nintendo games are the best out there.

And I also believe WW to be one of the best games available on the GCN right now; I was not even near being dissappointed with it.  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 11:32:57 AM »
Please ignore ALL Nintendojo.com editorials. They are all complete biased, fanboy, Nintendo hating crap. I could find better editorials on the gamefaqs.com boards. Even the forumers at Nintendojo.com hate the editorials and regularly complain about them. It's extremely sad that anyone is dumb enough to be taken in by their BS.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 12:27:04 PM »
I liked mario sunshine, ww was a catastrophe to myself and others but besides zelda I have pretty much gotten what I wanted and I like nintendo's innovation (except when they f things up like with ww). However, they do lack some in the mature, rpg, and sports departments imo. Still waiting for a pd type game, guess that's not gonna happen. I don't know what you were promised but with vj, mk, rebel strike, lotr return of the king, megaman collection etc... coming out I'm happy. If we get a skies of arcadia and ssbm sequel then I'll be really happy.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 01:24:52 PM »
the reason we all like nintendo is cause they keep trin new things, some fail and some are a massive sucess. you may not of liked sunshine but i liked that game and hated SM64. Windwaker was a great game but ruined by its concept of sailing. Nintendo are diffrent ( just look at the cube, then look at the Ps2 and you will see what i mean) and thats why they have a massive fanbase.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 01:33:42 PM »
I like Nintendo.  It fun.

Eh, that's nonsense.  I've been more than satisfied with every Nintendo game I've played.  I'm about to go get Kirby Air Ride, and I expect that to be fun, too, regardless of what some may say.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline eldiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 01:52:11 PM »
Overall I think Nintendo develop/publish great games, sometimes they mess up (Luigis Mansion for example ) and sometimes they make games that deserve 99/100. Well you can't always make a good game but nintendos über game/bad game ratio is much higher than other companies imo + Nintendo has done loads of great games, very seldom are their games bad.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 02:37:36 PM »
Luigi's Mansion was fun.  Just way too short.  I thought so anyway.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 02:52:21 PM »
I also thought Luigi's Mansion was a very fun game.  But it was short; I'll give you that much.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 02:54:55 PM »
All of these kids are so damn negative.  Must be the rap music.  Seriously, there have been tons of great 1st party games.  I just can't agree with anyone who says otherwise.  Mario Sunshine may not have seemed as revolutionary as Mario 64, but thats mainly because there have been a MILLION freakin' platform clones flooding the market.  Zelda, Metroid, ED,  they all delivered.  I even like Mario Sunshine.  It's a good game and the only reason many people 'dis' it, in my opinion, is because it has become fashionable to do so.

Why can't people just enjoy gaming and quit bitching?  I'm sick of all these complaining losers.
I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 03:02:32 PM »
Because if it weren't for bitching, we  wouldn't be here typing to each other. The PGC Forums' motto is "Where PlanetGamecube Readers Go To Bitch About Everything." If it weren't for the people at the Dojo, we wouldn't be able to bitch about bitching and correct their erronious/biased (for reasons that escape me) comments.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 03:06:30 PM »
quit bitching and start playing, that my motto.    I'm starting to feel this forum is a waste of time.  I could be playing a game right now..............
I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 03:10:10 PM »
You can't play games 24/7. You need food and sleep. You can't do anything else while you're sleeping so  you might as well talk about video games while you eat. (DAMN, STICKY F BUTTON!) And then most of us have lives BEYOND video games I should hope. I mean we've got to be getting money to support the gods at Nintendo somehow. (gods need money. that's why mantorok failed.)
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003, 03:35:10 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine was a great game: A worthy  sequel to Mario 64.  The problem is, some people were expecting something just as revolutionary, if not moreso, for the game industry as Mario  64, which, of course, is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE.   It isn't Nintendo that doesn't deliver: It's the fans who hold them to such HIGH standards.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2003, 03:36:20 PM »
personally i'm usually playing something while using the forums thats the advantage of having my gaming station right next to my pc, i'm playing PSOff right now as a matter of fact, but err oh yeah, less doom and gloom would be nice

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2003, 04:03:06 PM »
I like this quote:"Hopefully this will lead to more truly innovative and quality titles like Splinter Cell, Nascar: Dirt to Daytona and Burnout 2 being on a system that is full of poorly crafted first party "mega sequels." Every game he just listed is good, but far from innovative. This "mega sequel" attitude is a cross-platform problem. Most of the big games are sequels and nothing will change that. That said, though, Nintendo is still making new franchises like Geist and Pikmin. The only problem is that there are not enough of them. There is nothing wrong with sequels as long as there are fresh and new games. In fact, the GameCube has some killer original titles. I just hope Iwata isn't lying about the next generation: http://n-philes.com/php/epvuevaalkeayyufuapa.php

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2003, 04:12:56 PM »
? If I am not mistaken, Super Mario Sunshine is bashed for being just more of the same from Super Mario 64, not for its odd innovation in that field. If anything they gave the gamers what they wanted on that one, and people just realized that they would rather have more innovation.

This whole thing just doesn't wash with me, seems like a forced editorial that was made just to upease a update on that particular site.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2003, 04:17:50 PM »

Think about this: if any other company besides Nintendo had released either a game like SMS or WW (obviously, different characters, etc), they would be praised beyond our imaginations. It's the standard that Nintendo is held to--not that I'm making excuses, because I still think Nintendo games are the best out there.

I agree, If any other company does it, then it is innovated and the reinvention of the wheel, but when Nintendo does it, they are ridiculed and accused of coddling the younger players.  There is a dangerous double standard in the video game industry and with the media.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Davideo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2003, 05:52:20 PM »
I had never played mario 64.  And let me tell you that Mario Sunshine was non-stop joy for me..  I played that for hours and hours and hours at a time.  It was gaming bliss.   So for all of you that hated it, but loved Mario 64, I'm just going to assume that you were looking for something different, and you got more of the same.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2003, 06:07:48 PM »
"So for all of you that hated it, but loved Mario 64, I'm just going to assume that you were looking for something different, and you got more of the same."

Exactly, which is what makes this statement not make any sense:

"Am I the only one in this forum, in the gameworld who think that Nintendo should give the gamers what they want and not experiment the innovation they think so good for the industry´s expansion above what´s good?"

That's what they did, unless you consider Super Mario Sunshine a huge leap into a innovative direction that seperates it from Super Mario 64 quite a bit, I don't. Nor does Miyamoto.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 11:56:33 AM »
Nintendo has always been my first choice for videogames, but I have been dissapointed with a few NIN titles so far, more than ever before on any system. I thought Sunshine and WW were both terrible. I just honestly didnt like them. Sunshine gave me migraines thanks to the brutal camera, and WW was a cure for my insomnia. ED rulled however, and I dont mind Metroid, however I hate all the reading in it. To each their own, you like it, good for you, you dont, good for you as well.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope