Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1079229 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme poster
  • Score: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6325 on: February 13, 2020, 12:38:24 PM »
Jokingly:
Maybe Avatar 2 will be a court drama where the Cat people are trying to secure their legal rights.

Picturing the cat people in suits and a courtroom that's entirely too small for them is giving me the lolz.

It will be Bee Movie all over again...let the meme times roll!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: February 13, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »
Now that I think of it this is exactly the plot of I, Robot, Amistad, and the Star Trek:TNG episode The Measure of a Man. So, given that Avatar was just a ripoff of other movies this is just what we should expect. But that courtroom 3d is going to be fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:13:51 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Wait, I can change this?
  • Score: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: February 13, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
Thor: Dark World

I actually watched this a few weeks ago on Disney+. I’ve been meaning to post a write up except I barely even want to. It was so remarkably unremarkable.

The fight against Malekith wasn’t even cool. It was Red SFX, the scene. I expected to hate this movie based on comments from others. I didn’t. To me, it merely exists.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: February 13, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »
Thor: Dark World

I actually watched this a few weeks ago on Disney+. I’ve been meaning to post a write up except I barely even want to. It was so remarkably unremarkable.

The fight against Malekith wasn’t even cool. It was Red SFX, the scene. I expected to hate this movie based on comments from others. I didn’t. To me, it merely exists.

also unmemorable. Like I don't remember what happens. I remember liking it more than I thought when I watched it, but only because the ending. Can't remember any other details of it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 72
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6329 on: February 13, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
Yeah, the first two Thor movies weren't great.  But Ragnarok was fantastic.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6330 on: February 14, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
I thought the first one was alright, but when I watched it my thoughts were: "This is just Master's of the Universe, but a little better"

I loved Ragnarok. Only in the MCU can a third movie be the best in a series. Captain America: Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War were all better than their predecessors.

Ready or Not: I didn't expect it to be so good. It was funny as hell and I can even relate to unwanted in-laws. I just can't shake the feeling the Samara Weaving looks like Margot Robbie.

I too enjoyed Ready or Not. Samara Weaving is Red Skull and Agent Smith's niece. Much like Margot Robbie she is also Australian.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:08:13 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: February 14, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
Flight of the Navigator (streamed via D+) was much better than I expected.

Watching brought up a lot of old memories from the 80s when I first saw it - although was still interesting because I didn't remember the plot at all. The movie has a pretty good concept and works well enough, but it's a shame that there isn't much danger/adventure when the kid is reunited with his ship; the time spent together isn't really impactful or even that interesting, which is a real letdown since you feel like that could've made the movie something special.

The film is definitely dated, but the acting is fine and story manages to stay just interesting enough. I enjoyed seeing Sarah Jessica Parker play a character that didn't annoy me, and hearing Peewee Herman's voice (I know; not his real name) was a definite throw-back.

Overall it gets one thumb up. A pleasant stroll down memory lane. If you don't have any memories of watching as a kid, harder to recommend... although the sci-fi story might draw some in even if the payoff is pretty slim.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme poster
  • Score: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: February 14, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »
Its funny, as between Captain America First Avenger and Thor I was more excited for Thor but after watching them I preferred Cap's film over Thor's. I didn't hate Dark World, but it was definitely a middle-of-the-road film. Not as weak as Hulk, but not much better. The only things I could readily recall after the first viewing was the bit where everyone was warping around in the climax and the gag where people were shouting out the names of the people flying around (Thor!...Mjolnir!) and the feeling that Christopher Eccleston was squandered as an actor. Though playing the villain in a Marvel film kinda sets you up to be squandered unless you are related to a hero (Loki, Killmonger) or are named Thanos.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: February 15, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Birds of Prey  6.5  Meh. Storytelling was a mess. It's trying so hard to be Deadpool and Kill Bill it forgot to actually be funny. If I were to re-write the story I'd tell the story from Black Canary's perspective or work harder to make it an ensemble movie. It's kind of ironic to see Ewan McGregor there because Transpotting was better version of this movie.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:51:16 PM by ThePerm »

Offline broodwars

• The only Utah Jazz fan on the internet.
  • Score: -993
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: February 15, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
Finally got around to watching the good Captain Marvel movie, aka Shazam, and...yeah, that was pretty entertaining. I feel like the film is a bit long so I would have trimmed back some of the scenes with Captain Marvel being arrogant and selfish. Also, the designs of the 7 Deadly Sins were just awful and generic, and their CG was incredibly unconvincing.

That said, I thought the acting was great, the fight scenes very well-paced, and I really wasn't expecting to see the extended Marvel family this early in the "franchise." I'm really curious whether they're going to use the "Mary Marvel" name for one of them considering DC can't actually use the "Captain Marvel" name.

The humor in the film was pretty on-point, and I really appreciated the scene in the mall where you got to see all the classic-style DC merchandise ("I'm Batman") and the nod to Big. I appreciate DC allowing their directors to make more than 1 style of film (unlike the MCU, where every film is "what if everyone was a quipping, sarcastic Spider-Man except Spider-Man?"), but I can certainly enjoy a popcorn film like this every once in a while.
"It's time to play...JAZZ...BASKETBALL!"