Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 97975 times)

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #525 on: November 29, 2004, 10:19:25 AM »
Reading this makes me sad that I can't afford the game yet.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #526 on: November 29, 2004, 12:51:30 PM »
I LOVE the creepy factor.  Great for some nice positional-audio moments (like hearing the out-of-reach snapping jaw of a sheegoth thingie from behind that you know you've just escaped by only a few inches.  And hell, the only reason i walked by it was to get to the next room.)

And yeah, turning off hints from the beginning was the [fun] way to go.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 29, 2004, 01:09:09 PM »
Damn those things put me on edge.

I played for about an hour of progress once (just minor upgrades) and came up through the water in the place leading to the save room in Torvus Bog to find out that they were in fact amphibious and much faster than my non-Gravity-Boosted-yet self. I had less than an energy tank left, tried to kill them in a brief futile effort, fell back in the water a couple of times then ran, jumped, dodged like a bat out of hell to the save room with roars and snaps and electrical buzzing all around me...

Got in that save room with less than 10 health left. Don't think I've felt a similar adrenaline rush in a long time.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 29, 2004, 06:13:38 PM »
I am extremely impressed.  I'll give a good impression later, but for now my brain is fried from playing it for about six hours straight.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 30, 2004, 05:15:19 AM »
To those that have finished the game, either 100% or not, how long did it take to finish it in normal mode?

I'm with 94% and I'm at the last boss (Ing King or whatever he is) and I am hoping to finish it at around 23 hours.  

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 30, 2004, 06:19:17 AM »
Yeah, I finished it at around 23, which is a lot longer than I took with MP1.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 30, 2004, 08:45:38 AM »
Either I've got a lot more game to play than I thought, or I'm cutting through this very fast.  I'm at 80% scans and I'm ten hours and forty six minutes into the game.  Maybe there's a whole crapload of stuff I'm not aware of yet.  That'd be nice.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 30, 2004, 10:21:12 AM »
I don't get this, I passed MP1 with 100% with 30 hours yet I'm close to 100% in MP2 and I will finish it in 23 hours or less. Wasn't this game supposed to be longer?

Btw Hostile, I too thought that I was going quite fast at a point but then the percentage-time ratio slowed down . But from what I've read somewhere it seems you can pass this game in under 5 hours. You can have a try at that if you want.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #533 on: November 30, 2004, 11:30:42 AM »
 I need help on one boss, I have no clue on how to approach him.
I think hes called amobious, the big fuking worm with the claws, before you enter the agon temple[spoiler/]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
LZ 2005

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 30, 2004, 02:37:17 PM »
Yeah, I've been noticing the same thing.  The end is coming quickly, and is is no where near as long as it took me for the original prime.  The best theory I can come up with is that I am more familiar with the controls as well as Retro's level lay outs.  Just a guess, but who knows?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #535 on: November 30, 2004, 03:00:28 PM »
You're more familiar, definitely.  Similar things apply to Wind Waker and Sunshine.

Me, I'm taking my sweet time.  Sometimes I'll shower under a waterfall and listen to the soundtrack.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 30, 2004, 06:53:51 PM »
Hemmorrhoid, you'll probably want to try the gameplay help forum from here on out, though I will answer this question.  You'll get a better response there, probably.

If you haven't beat it yet: first stage is the jumping worm.  Just shoot it.  Shoot it until you kill it, nothing special.  It'll then attach to the orb and attack differently.  Shoot it until the mask breaks off, then it will fall down and a blue whirlwind will be sucking into it.  Roll into morph ball and get sucked in and lay as many bombs as you can.  It'll then switch to two jumping worms, kill them the same way, two worms on the ball, kill them the same way.  Then it goes onto three, same thing again.  Just harder because there are more of them.  Hope that helps

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 01, 2004, 05:38:54 AM »
I'm taking Pro's approach, like I did with the first Prime. I just like to take in the environment sometimes. The sound is incredible. And I backtrack for powerups like crazy. I've got both Bursts and I'll be damned if I ever actually use them. But getting them was fun.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 01, 2004, 10:10:39 AM »
I finished up at seventeen hours and some amount of minutes.  Not sure what.  Probably close to eighteen hours, though.
I've got 84% completion, 94% scans, somewhere around 80% items.  81, I think.  I'll be going back to get everything else of course, though I may need some help in some cases.

Offline MODE_RED

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 01, 2004, 10:28:49 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Charles Mallory. I'm a pro videogame designer. I have some suggestions that not only fix the problems players have been having with Retro's Metroid controls, they add depth and playability to the franchise as well. I hope that Retro utilizes these suggestions for their next incarnation of the Metroid franchise.

Improve the Control System as such:

1.   Make the R button, when held halfway or clicked, turn the C-Stick into a Free Look/Aim that can be used while standing or running. The C-Stick still serves as a beam selector when R is not held. The L button still functions as Lock-On.
2.   Change the R button’s click function to be Samus’ Primary Arm Cannon Shot/Morph Ball Bomb.
3.   Change the function of the A button to a melee attack: Each chosen beam has its own melee attack and melee charge attack. Even the trusty Morph Ball can have a melee attack, such as spikes that can also be used as brakes and for traction. You can morph into the ball and use your bombs and spikes as part of a combo, which activates some fancy morph ball manuevers on your enemies, like juggling, running them over, bouncing on them, dropping onto them, letting them fall on your spikes, rolling up and down and around them while impaling them and more. The Spider and Boost Ball enhancements add more attacks to your arsenal. You could even morph out of the ball and shoot your enemy into the bomb you just laid to finish your combo. On defense, the melee attack is used to deflect both melee/projectile and energy attacks (depending on whether your beam is charged), and Samus’ jump and Morph Ball are used to dodge attacks.

Summary:
Instead of the R button turning the Analog Stick into a Free Look, the R button turns the C-Stick into a Free Look while the Analog Stick continues to allow freedom of movement at all times. The R button’s click serves as the old A button for weapon functions. The A button now becomes a melee attack/defense combo button that also activates Samus’ new Morph Ball Spikes ability that can be used for combat, traversing the environment and solving puzzles.

Imagine:

You're running through a hallway and you see a Space Pirate taking aim at you. You charge you beam and deflect his shot back at him using the A button, which stuns him. Still running, you jump in the air, morph into the ball and pounce on him with your spikes--but he block this attack with a shield. You swipe his shield out of the way with A, attack him a couple times with A, morph into a ball and hit him, lay a bomb, morph out of the ball hitting him, juggle him into the air from the blast, jump into the air and hit him with a screw attack, which tears him to shreds, or the screw attack grab, which spins him and tosses him into other enemies or into the wall.

Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: December 01, 2004, 12:47:51 PM »
Metroid prime 2 was a bit of a let down if you ask me, they spent most of their development time on the Bosses, the fortress level and mini in game cinematics except they did a atrocious job fleshing out the story.  Most of the story was pretty bad because it was so cookie-cutter with very few NPC's.  Reading logs of dead people and scanning lore icons is not exactly the best method of telling a story.  Also retro totally got lazy whe making in-game cinema for the marines. The Marines  in game cinema sequence SHOWS STILLS PICTURES for god sakes, STILLS!!  Not to mention the TINY amount of voicework for the marines that was in the game was totally drowned out by the other sounds, whoever worked on that needs to have his hearing checked.

Metroid prime 2's gameplay is more of the same with cool new bosses, suits and a few new moves for samus.  It's nothing revolutionary.  Also the story is ultimately lame, and they totally dumbed down the Metroids in this game, they aren't scary at all like they were in the first prime.   Most of the bosses were very cool, the last one at the end was nothing special.

Also the developers totally re-used a load of art and geometry from the first game, if you look at dead bodies lying around of the luminoth they are slightly re-touched Chozo models, how lame can you get?  Dark Aether and light Aether are the same damn rooms with slightly modified geometry most of the time.  Retro got majorly lazy in prime 2, and some of the weapon shots are badly designed  (Looking at you sunburst).

I bet they invented that story once they realized that they were going to re-use the art, or planned the Art and geometry re-use of the rooms from the start.  I felt like they cheated me out of 50% of the game by giving me the same levels only now they are "dark" with slightly modified geometry and slight layout changes in most cases.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 01, 2004, 01:08:13 PM »
"Most of the story was pretty bad because it was so cookie-cutter with very few NPC's."

And we know how Metroid is known for its story and NPC-interaction...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 01, 2004, 01:18:21 PM »
Bill,

I didn't say anything about NPC interaction, just that the fleshing out of the story with no NPC's left the story not feeling cohesive.  Metroid prime 2 didn't feel like a different world then metroid prime 1, it felt like you were on the same world as the last metroid and that you were playing "Metroid 2:  The expansion pack!" rather then a sequel, remember they are supposed to AIM HIGHER with a sequel.  Notice they tried to give metroid a story with the in-game cinematics, especially when you download the Marine log from the computer beside their ship.  Don't give me this crap "metroid 2 was not about story" the whole god damn game you're trying to find keys and collect energy for the luminoth and they have dead bodies lying around with logs and data about the "story", all I'm saying was the presentation of the story was bad and the game felt like an expansion pack rather then a true full blooded sequel.  MP2 felt more like Metroid 1.5, now with twice the lazyness of the developers.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #543 on: December 01, 2004, 02:41:44 PM »
<<

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 01, 2004, 03:13:25 PM »
"Reading logs of dead people and scanning lore icons is not exactly the best method of telling a story."

Actually, it's quite possibly one of the best methods of storytelling I've ever seen in a video game.  Storytelling in RPGs like Final Fantasy outright sucks.  Because it's different and inventive it's bad, eh?  If you're not lazy and whiney, it's one of the most interesting ways to tell a story I can think of.

Otherwise I disagree with you too, but that's the main thing.  It was not 1.5 by a longshot, though.  Certainly a much more massive improvement than, say, Halo 2.

Offline MODE_RED

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 01, 2004, 03:58:46 PM »
I think Metroid would have been more well recieved and reviewed if the control system were upgraded (but not defiled --see my previous post for my control suggestions) to allow the player to move and aim more freely, as well as have melee attacks/defensive combos.

They could have also added more features from the single-player to the multiplayer. Samus’ new abilities as described in my previous post would have IMHO, by themselves, greatly improved the multiplayer experience. The environments could stand to use more atmospheric elements that add to the gameplay, such as fog, darkness, snow, sand, moving water and areas with low traction due to moving sands or wind. You should be able to kill your opponents by knocking them into a greater variety of environmental hazards, like live wires, sand-lion traps and spikes. There should be swinging melee attacks from the grapple beam.

Have a Hunter mode where one player/team is the Hunter, and the other player/team is the Prey. The Prey has to get to the safe zones before being killed by the Hunter and before the safe zone relocates. If the Prey is successful in reaching these safe zones, the Prey escaped, the Hunter is killed and they switch roles. The safe zones heal the prey, add an energy tank and add a beam weapon or ability. The Hunter starts off with all the weapons and more energy tanks than the Prey. Also, Bomberman is a great multiplayer game. A morphball only, Bomberman style multiplayer mode would be a blast to play.
Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 01, 2004, 04:25:26 PM »
100% scans, baby.  And oh does it feel good.
Next I go for items, and then I beat hard mode.  Though I may take a break before I try hard mode.

Edit: Okay, nevermind.  Damn game doesn't save after I beat it, so I can't reap my well deserved rewards.  How retarded is that?  Anyone know how to work around this?  

Another edit: Okay, nevermind again.  It worked after all.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 01, 2004, 06:54:55 PM »
Mode Red, see if you can find my topic called "suggestions to improve Metroid prime" from a couple of weeks ago I think? it should be on page 1 or 2. I gave a lot of my own suggestions for controls and multiplayer....

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 01, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »
If they sold prints of the Metroid artwork, I'd probably have to buy one or two of them.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 02, 2004, 07:59:08 AM »
I actually agree with with x3ts on many of his verdicts.
So far im only 18%
just got dark suit

But its true that the magic and sensation that MP1 offered is not reached, maybe the geography or level design are more realistic now, but I still felt that MP1 offered more variety. But I shouldnt be so judgemental yet, I hope and expect the best yet to come.

Still, MP1 gave me a better first impression, thats something I can say for sure.
LZ 2005