Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 99258 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #425 on: November 11, 2004, 07:04:52 PM »
My frothing demand can be collected in multiple 2 liter bottles.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #426 on: November 11, 2004, 11:11:29 PM »
Im happy to know they perfected the single player and the multiplayer is just a nice addition.
Im probably never gonna play it anyway, unless its really fun, which it might just be.
LZ 2005

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 11, 2004, 11:20:33 PM »
Two weeks to go to Metroid Prime 2! Unlike the rest of the lucky people in the universe i'm in the UK.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #428 on: November 12, 2004, 12:31:01 AM »
do you have a wonderful 60Hz tv to play MegaWoman2:Echoes on?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 12, 2004, 01:01:12 AM »
My TV can handle 60hz. It's a 29" big screen.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 12, 2004, 04:10:40 AM »
60Hz? You're SOOOO behind the times, these days we got 100Hz TVs.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 12, 2004, 05:48:26 AM »
Gamespot gave Metroid a 9.1... 0.1 more than I was expecting.

But I don't really care. What interests me is the "shoulder to shoulder with Metroid Prime" comment, which if true means I've got a new favorite game ever... again.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 12, 2004, 06:25:13 AM »
"It's not hard to imagine that this competitive mode was shoehorned into the game due to the widely held expectation that all first-person games--and most GameCube games, for that matter--should have some kind of multiplayer, as it feels a little half-baked and out of place here. The good news is that Echoes doesn't suffer at all for having this mode (nobody's making you play it, after all), and it would be just as great an overall package if the multiplayer hadn't been included."

Translation:  A lot of stupid idiots criticized the first game for not having multiplayer so one has been added added and it's pretty average.  But we're not going to sh!t all over the game because of that because we understand that Metroid is supposed to be a one player game.

I've only skimmed over the review but it seems very professional.  I was afraid that a lot of reviews would complain about the multiplayer after last year complaining about its absence.  I'm very impressed that Gamespot pretty much ignored the multiplayer modes shortcomings.  Well done.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 12, 2004, 06:13:32 PM »
9.5 from IGN. 10 Gameplay, 10 lasting appeal, 9 graphics, 9.5 sound/music, 10 presentation. Sounds like what I would give. Actually, judging from the info that I've gathered, and how reviewers have compared it to MP1, I would think I would give it (in Gamespot's scale), a 10 for gameplay, 9 in graphics (although this may be 10 depending how impressed I am with the artistic side of the graphics), 10 in sound, 9 for value, and 10 for tilt. According to Gamespot's weighting system that would be an overall of 9.7. Of course this is only my guess of what I think I would give it, subject to change once I actually play and beat the game. I highly doubt I would change my mind on tilt, gameplay, or sound based on what I've read about and seen about the game. Value may go up or down depending on length and difficulty of the game, and graphics may go up to 10 if the art is just that impressive. I like to break graphics into 5 points for technical prowess and 5 points for the artistic side of things and just how plain good and aesthetically pleasing it looks (or doesn't). I think many reviewers go ahead and give 10's in graphics just for the technical prowess even if the art and aestetics are just plain uninspired and boring to look at. This seems to happen a lot with PC FPS's and the people who review them.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 12, 2004, 06:33:42 PM »
From what I've seen, it's got some pretty awesome stuff, artistically.  Granted, I haven't seen much, but thus far I'm impressed.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 12, 2004, 06:48:26 PM »
IGN said that

a) Some people will like it more than MP1.
b) If you're expecting more of MP, you'll be ecstatic.

I'm sold. I was sold a long time ago but now I'm sold sold.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #436 on: November 12, 2004, 07:22:25 PM »
I was sold at 50% off with buy 1 get 2 free.

Happy next week to all of you.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 12, 2004, 09:35:14 PM »
"If you're expecting more of MP, you'll be ecstatic."

Hey!  A Nintendo game where the reviewer said "it's more of the same but who cares because it rules".  I thought those types of comments where only allowed for EA games and GTA.  Nice to see Nintendo not get crapped on for not being innovative enough with an overall amazing game.  Of course it's only the second game and they don't release these every year so that helps.

IGN mentioned that they wish dual analog control was an option.  *Sigh*  So close to getting it and yet so far.  Metroid Prime has to be one of the most misunderstood games ever.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 12, 2004, 10:11:53 PM »
Agreed, Ian.  And watching the videos on the website was a pain.  Whoever was playing those really sucked.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2004, 01:15:19 AM »
maybe dual-control might work on MP, but then the game would have to change slightly, and im not sure if it would change for the better

Lets pray to god that Retro takes their time to perfect their ideas for the sequel on Revolution, I think they should take their time until Christmas 2007, 3 years to develop, or maybe middle of 2008.
LZ 2005

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2004, 01:29:30 AM »
Let's consider trying to turn 180-degrees in mid-air on your 2nd jump while moving forward (relative to your original jumping position) and changing your weapon in midair, on a typical "free look" dual-analog control scheme.

MADNESS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 13, 2004, 11:51:26 AM »
Yeah, IGN sucks.

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 13, 2004, 12:54:27 PM »
My friend had the new issue of EGM and I read the review.  There were 3 reviewers two gave it a 9 and the other a 10.  The guy who gave it a ten, gave it for the right reason, that the first player game just kicked ass in every category. One of the other two complained about the multiplayer, calling it archaic.  I dont understand this, they complain about not having multi-player and when it does have multiplayer they complain about it not being as good as Halo.  Its not supposed to be, this game was not designed for multiplayer, it was designed to be an awesome single player game. Anything else is just a bonus.  Also they complained about the story and that it was an embarassment.  Since when has there been a good story in Metroid?  Never! Yet didnt they give Super Metroid the greatest game of the century?  This magazine is  hypocritical.    
      Also both Halo 2 and San Andreas were reviewed in the issue and both getting platinums.  I didnt have a chance to read either.  How can they complain about MP2's story when Halo 2's is supposed to be horrible.  Yet they still give it a perfect, which I have heard is far from true.
My friend and another were playing Halo 2 co-op.  I dont know what level it was or anything but it looked exactly like the first level in the original Halo.  
I am sick of the bias against Nintendo in this industry and I'm sick of the wrong games getting all the praise.  Why doesn't Rockstar get crap for releasing the same game with different people in it every 2 years? I dont understand. And Halo 2 gets praised for having being able to wield two guns at the same time, gasp not two guns at the same time! Wait a minute, couldnt I do that in Goldeneye and sometimes couldnt I mix and match what two guns I had out?    And then in Perfect Dark couldnt I do this in multiplayer? Those two games are 1 and 2 the greatest console FPSes ever. Er this is turning into more of a Halo 2 flame then a Metroid Prime 2 praise.  Sorry.  
Anyways, I expect Metroid Prime 2 to be the one of the best single player experiences ever, and I think it will deliver and I wish it didnt get lost in the shadow of games like Halo 2 and GTASA.    

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 14, 2004, 09:24:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Kraven
Er this is turning into more of a Halo 2 flame then a Metroid Prime 2 praise.  Sorry.

There's no need to apologize around here. :¬]

I think it's purely a matter of hype. Hype by itself can skew even "professional" reviewers' opinions significantly. And hype is something Nintendo struggles to generate for most of its games. Besides the Zelda series, which allowed Wind Waker to be reviewed favorably despite being 'kiddy', and Metroid Prime which obviously won over critics. It is unfair, but it's just the nature of the mainstream, regardless of media.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 14, 2004, 11:21:53 AM »
kraven has a good point when he complains about reviewers picking on the lack or revolution of MP2
what new has halo or san andreas done that justifies that much of a better score?

ultimately it all comes down to the fun and the effort, and that, without a doubt, is very present in MP2
now Ill be willing to withdraw this statement when Ive played MP2 and realize its not "THAT" great after all
but when it turns out to be the game I hope it will be, I will be very angry about those reviewers
LZ 2005

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 15, 2004, 12:35:54 AM »
Lets look to the future for a minute: now that MP2 has gone gold in most places, lets see Retro make something new please?

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 15, 2004, 12:58:42 AM »
im sure they will make something else, but in the end, they still have to make another Metroid
I guess they will provide some revolution launch title, hopefully Raven Blade, and devote a small team to work out the new metroid, and when Raven Blade is released in 2006, they can finish theyre new Metroid game for 2007 I hope
LZ 2005

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 15, 2004, 03:32:47 AM »
We don't need another Metroid yet, they could finish one or two games before working on that.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 15, 2004, 06:11:53 AM »
"now that MP2 has gone gold in most places, lets see Retro make something new please?"

Sounds fine with me.  There's no real point in releasing a third Metroid Prime on the Cube hardware.  They might as well wait for the Revolution for that.  And since the Cube still has a few years left to it I don't see why they can't get something else out.  I also wouldn't mind if their first Revolution game was original with Metroid coming out later on.

Besides Nintendo should lay off Metroid for a bit anyway.  The amount of games in the series has more than doubled since 2002.  They need to cut back and let absense make the heart grow fonder.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 15, 2004, 06:54:32 AM »
I don't see any chance of another Metroid on the cube.  I wouldn't worry about that.
Expect one for Revolution, though, I'd say a year or so after launch.  I'd like to see Retro do something else, though.
I think they should cut back on Metroid, though.