Author Topic: New Japanese Hardware & Software #s!  (Read 6865 times)

Offline MeddmaWamm

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: New Japanese Hardware & Software #s!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2003, 10:19:40 AM »
People have PS2s for the Tales series. The last Tales game sold about 900,000 copies on PS2. That's why I think ToS probably would have sold better if it was on PS2 instead of GC.

Not really. It maybe would have sold double on PS2, if its lucky, and the PS2 has about 10 times the user base of the GC. Which means more percentage of GC owners would have bought it. This is selling very good for a GC game.

Why should the size of GC's user base matter to Namco? The size of the console's user base is irrelevant.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:New Japanese Hardware & Software #s!
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2003, 11:56:32 AM »
You're kidding, right medmma? Obviously a game can't sell more units than there are consoles. The PS2 user base is HUGE, so even a small percentage of people who own one buy a game, that's still a lot of games sold. The Gamecube has sold very little in comparison, so even it a larger percentage buys the game, it's still sold less copies. 10% of 20 million is still more than 20% of 5 million. Since there's more people that can actually buy the game on the PS2, obviously it would have sold better, and since there's less people with a Gamecube, obviously it would sell less. If the PS2's user base were cut down to the Gamecube's, ToS probably would have sold the same on both. It has everything to do with user base- EVERYTHING.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline MeddmaWamm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2003, 12:38:34 PM »
Er, My point was that Namco should not care about the user base size ratio. Namco should care about how many copies they'll sell total.

Namco should not be all "YAY! WE SOLD 400,000 COPIES ON GAMECUBE WHEN WE COULD HAVE SOLD 800,000 ON PS2! OMG IT'S GREAT BECAUSE GAMECUBE HAS A REALLY SMALL USER BASE"

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2003, 01:16:59 PM »
this is the most enlightening thing i have read in a while. as long as nintendo just continues to hang in there i am happy. i think we will see more 3rd party support from japanese companies because of M$ trying to get in the business. japanese companies should be worried if they arent already. video games are looking to the west for new ideas. they need to stay on top of their game before its too late. and i think that will help nintendo when it comes to 3rd party support. i just hope the gamecube can gain some momentum going into the next generation so they, along with sony, can stomp out m$ and all these other new consoles trying to get into the game.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2003, 01:20:43 PM »
I see your poing MeddmaWamm, but TOS appears to be expanding GCs user base.  Its a system seller much in the way GTA was for PS and Halo Xbox.  Nintendo should never look down on any 3rd party developer, because you just never know what game will make an individual buy your system.  I think Nintendo has realized and are trying their hardest to make GC an attractive console to make a game for.

Nintendo could use a few more system sellers, and I think the new and future lineup of games contain at least a couple.  
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2003, 04:58:13 AM »
Another point is that the PS2's engine can't even handle the amount of effort that Namco has given to ToS.

Great job Namco!

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2003, 07:17:18 AM »

Originally posted by: CHEN
Another point is that the PS2's engine can't even handle the amount of effort that Namco has given to ToS.

No proof bud.  Well actually there is.  Dark Cloud 2(I hate that game, btw) has the same type of graphics engine and it's on the PS2, so there!!!
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2003, 08:21:21 AM »
ToS is going to be a great game;  Dark Cloud, on the other hand...ick
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline darklink514

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2003, 08:35:29 AM »

Originally posted by: MeddmaWamm
People have PS2s for the Tales series. The last Tales game sold about 900,000 copies on PS2. That's why I think ToS probably would have sold better if it was on PS2 instead of GC.

Not really. It maybe would have sold double on PS2, if its lucky, and the PS2 has about 10 times the user base of the GC. Which means more percentage of GC owners would have bought it. This is selling very good for a GC game.

Why should the size of GC's user base matter to Namco? The size of the console's user base is irrelevant.

Dude, are you on drugs? 200,000 copies of a game is a LOT in one week. In one week they're already 2/5 of they're projected sales figure. By the end of the year I predict Tales will reach around 850,000-1 million.

And why are we arguing about this? Its on Gamecube and we should thank Namco for that!

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2003, 09:33:38 AM »

Originally posted by: darklink514
Dude, are you on drugs? 200,000 copies of a game is a LOT in one week. In one week they're already 2/5 of they're projected sales figure. By the end of the year I predict Tales will reach around 850,000-1 million.

850k!!!!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!!!  TO A MILLION!!!!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  . . . Sorry.  I see ToS selling at the most 600k, but ofcourse I hope it does better.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2003, 06:39:23 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
You're kidding, right medmma? Obviously a game can't sell more units than there are consoles. The PS2 user base is HUGE, so even a small percentage of people who own one buy a game, that's still a lot of games sold. The Gamecube has sold very little in comparison, so even it a larger percentage buys the game, it's still sold less copies. 10% of 20 million is still more than 20% of 5 million. Since there's more people that can actually buy the game on the PS2, obviously it would have sold better, and since there's less people with a Gamecube, obviously it would sell less. If the PS2's user base were cut down to the Gamecube's, ToS probably would have sold the same on both. It has everything to do with user base- EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't say it was everything. Time Splitters 2 would have been the exception to the rule as it did sell similar numbers across all Sony and Nintendos console giving Nintendo a better tie in ratio thus tarnising your point you are trying to make there.

But your point is fundamentaly flawed. Your esimate is based on the assumption that both user bases have the same taste and have the same information which we all know isn't true.

But it is impossilbe to test how much a game would sell on each console as releasing it multiplatform would skewer the numbers. One would have to visit parralle unverses to prove whether a game could have sold better than X console than Y console.

Althought your initial point of a game never selling more than there are consoles will aways hold true. Not since Atari has anybody else pulled an E.T.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2003, 02:13:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Gup

Originally posted by: CHEN

No proof bud.  Well actually there is.  Dark Cloud 2(I hate that game, btw) has the same type of graphics engine and it's on the PS2, so there!!!

You can't even compare the two games. If you see the two in action you can obviously see differences. BTW The Cube's engine can handle better cel-shaded graphics. I'm no expert at it, so if someone can clarify this, but ToS is much prettier to the eye.

Offline iTZKooPA

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2003, 06:19:04 AM »
didnt beat them by much but they beat them
shoutouts to Namco for releasing 2 great game so close together, always loved em but they just never put out enough games
-KooPA

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2003, 08:03:13 PM »
WELL IT WAS GOOD WHILE IT LASTED

1 Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP  38,800 1,614,300 (42,600)
2 S C E PlayStation 2           29,200 1,982,600 (35,300)
3 Nintendo Game Cube            16,800   503,100 (35,600)
4 Nintendo Game Boy Advance      8,100 1,040,000 (12,100)
5 S C E Playstation                531    54,800 (   960)
6 Microsoft Xbox                   530    73,000 (   650)
7 Wonderswan Crystal               302    29,800 (------)
8 Wonderswan Color                  90    15,200 (------)

Offline MeddmaWamm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2003, 08:24:50 PM »
Darklink might want to take back his prediction of 850,000 to 1 million ^^;;;;

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2003, 09:08:11 PM »
Oh well, at least GCN has finally sold 500k.
Wonder how software is going...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2003, 04:32:35 AM »
Newest software #'s

1. Movement Fighter Gundam Encounter Universe - 394,900 Total: 394,900 (PS2)
2. Mario Golf: Familiar Tour - 58,700 -Total: 58,700 (GC)
3. Sword of Mana - 51,800 -Total: 204,900 (GBA)
4. Legend of Stafi 2 - 51,700 -Total: 51,700 (GBA)
5. Tales of Symphonia - 44,900 -Total: 238,400 (GC)
6. Winning Eleven 7 - 41,100 -Total: 941,200 (PS2)
7. Winning Post 6 - 16,000 - Total: 50,000 (PS2)
8. The Baseball 2003 Battle Ballpark Declaration - 15,800 - Total: 15,800 (PS2)
9. Zoids II - 12,500 - Total: 12,500 (GC)
10.Pokémon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire - 11,500 - Total: 181,800 (GBA)

Sales for ToS are slumping, but that's still a large number...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2003, 05:28:06 AM »
Good lord, WE7 is almost outselling ToS already! Hope ToS reaches that 500,000, or Namco might get mad...

Good to see Legend of Stafi selling well.(It's avarage is 100 in Gamerankings, after amazing 1 review.