Author Topic: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100  (Read 7784 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 61
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »
The pal thing can be solved with a usb keyboard. It's too bad that it's $120 CAD(90USD) there. I got mine for $59.99. I've seen it for as low as $39.99 USD as of recently.  They're trying to get rid of the stock now. It was that bad of a failure. I'm not sure how you'd go about importing it at a cheaper price. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I haven't hacked it yet, mainly because I have a really old computer with windows xp, so I might not be able to use the software. I also have no PSX roms. So, I wouldn't get far.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Low man on the Triforce Totem
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
They are like $80 CAD on amazon.ca, so there are cheaper options available. I'm a bit surprised that pricing hasn't dropped even further though.

Crazy that it's still $130 CAD at walmart.ca - no way these are worth that much and the demand isn't going move those units. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though. My local Walmart still has full price Wii games on the shelf. Golly, I miss the days when Target tried to set up shop in Canada - that chain made a lot of bad choices, but they really understood how to mark down old/unwanted stock to get it off their shelves.

As for PS Vita being the best way to play... does it have TV output?  If not, then you aren't going to sway me from my PSP leanings.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: -144
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
As for PS Vita being the best way to play... does it have TV output?  If not, then you aren't going to sway me from my PSP leanings.

You don't want the PS Vita, you want the PS TV.  That's essentially a console version of the Vita that connects to a TV.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »

You don't want the PS Vita, you want the PS TV.  That's essentially a console version of the Vita that connects to a TV.

Ah, but the PS TV isn't portable.

With PSP, you can use the video-out cables to play full-size PSOne Classics on your TV or detach the console and play on the move! Best of both worlds (as long as you don't need HDMI).
:D

(I actually have a PSTV unit and am pretty happy with it too... but memory cards are insanely expensive and prone to getting corrupted, so I'm really hesitant to download games there.)

Offline pokepal148

• I used to be an adventurer like you. Than I took a Terraria to the Switch.
  • Score: -9961
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
Yeah but who the hell wants to play PS1 games on a TV? They aren't exactly good looking.
Forum Retrospective - Come play games with us. It'll be fun.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
Yeah but who the hell wants to play PS1 games on a TV? They aren't exactly good looking.

Jaggies you could cut your CENSORED on...

Offline Mop it up

• The original troll door
  • Score: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2019, 11:59:29 AM »
Teeth?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »

Although early 3D graphics haven't aged well for the most part, there are still a few lookers in the PS1 library. Castlevania (Chronicles, or Symphony of Night) on a big screen is nice, and so is Metal Slug. Lots of RPGs hold up well too, like Final Fantasy 9 or Breath of Fire 4 or Legend of Mana.

Mostly I agree with you, but there are enough exceptions to make it a nice option.

Plus, playing some games on a small handheld screen hides the rough edges but also hide a lot of "detail" that might be necessary - whether that's good or bad depends on the game. Playing Soviet Strike on a bigger screen where enemy bullets can be more easily seen doesn't hurt!

Teeth?

I was thinking "pixels", but wanted to leave it up for interpretation.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »

I love the irony of questioning why someone would want to play games for a console designed to hook up your TV to a TV.  Of course the coolest way to play PS1 games in on the PSOne with the flip up LCD screen! :)

Regarding the visuals this probably sounds like blasphemy on a Nintendo site but I actually prefer the PS1 graphics these days over the N64.  At the time I thought the PS1 graphics were jaggy and grainy but the N64's approach to addressing this was by making everything blurry.  The textures are also compressed and low-res to fit on the cartridge.  I'm pretty sure the first time I played N64 it was a coaxial connection on an 80's TV so it wasn't so noticeable but these days it sure is.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
I think it depends on where you play n64 games. I have a Sanyo True Flat CRT screen. First party n64 games look "great" Many third party games look really bad. A few games hold up well from third parties.

You can turn off anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing with a gameshark. It's interesting. I used to call the cheat PSX mode.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »
So these are down to $40 CAD now, and were apparently being blown out from some stores at $20 recently... they are hacked if you care to make the effort... and I'm still having a hard time justifying a purchase. If I wanted to just hack something for pirating PS games, which I'm not all the keen to do, then I've got two PSP Go systems with cradles and TV out cables.

Am I off base here and missing out on a great deal? With two other mini consoles in the house already, is there value in grabbing a PS Classic while they are still kicking around?  It just seems like putting that money towards a Sega Genesis Mini would be a better option.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »
If you don't have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid in some other form, $20 is worth it for those.  They're not in PAL versions are each easily worth $10 each.  Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
If you don't have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid in some other form, $20 is worth it for those.  They're not in PAL versions are each easily worth $10 each.  Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Good enough - those games are covered, so I'm officially out on PS Classic despite the discounts.

I do admit that Intelligent Qube (did I spell that right?) looked interesting, but it's not enough to justify the time/space/effort.