Author Topic: One day till Madden!!!  (Read 7637 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE:One day till Madden!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2003, 02:13:53 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
I find it real funny when I hear people say "you buy the same football game every year, your a moron" and then in the same breath say they own monkey ball 1 AND 2.

If you dont like sports games you will never understand the subtle differances that go into the new versions, to people who love sport the differances from year to year are plentiful. To those who would rather call names, go back to your pokemon crap and STFU.

Pokemon isnt crap, sir.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: One day till Madden!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2003, 10:12:19 AM »
yeah, pokemon is cool! and i certainly hope that stfu wasn't aimed at me, i clearly called no names.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2003, 02:30:22 PM »
I do think most gamecube owners do not like sports games that much.  Why is that.  I dont blame sega for pulling their sports lineup.  Its a wonder EA didnt do the same.  Anyways im glad they didnt.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2003, 02:59:53 PM »

Its a wonder EA didnt do the same. Anyways im glad they didnt.
Why would they? As of right now, they don't have any competition.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2003, 07:55:02 PM »
kennyb27- You may or may not know this by now (I got my copy today but maybe you didn't) but Owner mode is optional. You can enable or disable it if you want.
It's not really that complicated, though. Maybe it's just me, though. I'm a big stat nerd and a control freak.
And...I like Pokemon. It's no Yu-gi-Oh mind you but still cool nonetheless.  

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2003, 06:34:38 AM »
Oh, ok, greenwood, thanks.  I'll probably still try it out, it sounds fun.  The thread name finally applies to me, I get my copy tomorrow.  But not until after work...
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2003, 09:39:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Jdub03
I do think most gamecube owners do not like sports games that much.  Why is that.  I dont blame sega for pulling their sports lineup.  Its a wonder EA didnt do the same.  Anyways im glad they didnt.

I really think that assumption is wrong. I'd say the GC has just as big a percentage of sports fans as the other consoles. The reason they don't sell as well is because many GC owners also own other systems and as we all know, most of the time when a sports game is released on all 3 systems the PS2 and X-Box games are usually better (more stats, less memory card issues, etc). Not everytime mind you but enough to have already created the perception that it's always true. Not to mention online features which can be a big selling point with sports games.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2003, 11:44:11 AM »
many more people just like the ps2 controler better for madden than the gc controler
i just got madden on my ps2 because of that reason- and i love this game!
the graphics are better than 2003 (which is hard to believe) and the game runs more smoothly
i did get ncaa 2004 on my gc though as i like the feel of the gc controler better for that game (z button pitch is very nice)
but madden is a great game and feels very fresh thanks to the playmaker controls (which work beautifully) and the owner mode- i get to set prices of cheesesteaks for my eagles!!!!! (oh yeah and beer....)
i call the big one bitey.

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2003, 07:48:47 PM »
I think another reason sports games don't sell as well on the GCN as Xbox is the Xbox has sold over a million more units here in NA. That's got to count for something. I read in one of those reports that sports games make up 25% of the total games market.
I think that, combined with the memory card issues and possible controller issue add up.
I think part of the reason so many people love the DS2 is that they've played with it for so long. How many years ago did Sony come out with the first Dual Shock? You just get used to it. I'm not saying the DS2 is a bad controller or even just an average controller, not by any means, it's a really good controller but I prefer the GCN controller.
I'm keeping this positive (no use dwelling on the few little negatives about this game) and I want to mention a few of the little things that I think are really great.

-being able to switch packages out with one button press
-replays being shown while you pick your plays, it helps speed things up
-accelerated clock option, can help if you play long games
-the color of your players (on the picking plays screen) changing to show you their energy level (I know this isn't new but I still like it)

There's more but that's enough for now.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2003, 02:18:17 AM »
I finally got to play the new Madden. Anyone who says "how can you buy the same game every year" needs to try this years version. It is simply the greatest football game of all time. BAR NONE.

Kickoff in 21 days

GO LIONS
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2003, 02:20:59 AM »
well i would get it, if i understood american football that is

GO NEWCASTLE UNITED!

Offline Stewpot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2003, 03:11:36 AM »

Kickoff in 21 days.  Go Lions!

Wow! We all know the Lions stink--hopefully they turn it around this year.  As a Michigander, I feel it is my duty to stick by the one and only Lions!!!

Going to pickup Madden today.  I haven't actually owned a version of Madden since Madden 64 though I have played the PS2 version a lot.  

So which version should I get, the Gamecube or XBox??  I am inclined to go with the Gamecube as I like the controller better but favor the Xbox because I don't want to purchase another memory card.  I already have 3, 251 memory block cards and the Xbox HD has oodles of space.  
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2003, 09:31:50 AM »
To me(Note this is my personal opinion dont CONDEMN me to hell for it) all three maddens are the same on each system basically .  The cntrollers are pretty much the same.  There are no button combos that are hard to execute.  Press "A" to hike then a button  to throw to the receiver.  All this complaining over controlls for nothing.  The graphics on all three systems come pretty close, and there wasnt PS2 is the only one to really boast online play.  
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2003, 04:46:30 PM »
I had to buy another 251 memory card when I got Madden.  Kind of a large price to pay for a game, but franchise mode is worth it.
-Kenny

Offline Ryujin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2003, 04:53:18 PM »
I may get Madden 2004 and maybe even Tiger Woods tour 2004 when it's out.  I play Madden at my friends house, and I rent Tiger Woods 2003 and really liked it.  If I buy either it will be the first time I've ever bought a sports game besides Tony Hawk...  Probably won't get it for at least a couple months, maybe even christmas, since I'd rather spend my money playing games on computers (I go to a comp cafe, talk about a waste of money, but I think I'm addicted )

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2003, 05:45:39 PM »
im a basketball person. NBA Street is one of the best multi games iv played in a while.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post